November DuneWiki article: Feyd

Dunenewt

The Feyd Rautha article is fine. I appreciate that it keeps information from the original Dune and the newer books seperate.

I stumpled on this though:

http://wiki.dune2k.com/Vladimir_Harkonnen

When he was killed by Alia, House Harkonnen passed to his na-Baron, Feyd-Rautha Harkonnon. He challenged Paul Atreides to a duel, which Paul won. After Paul defeated Feyd, House Harkonnen passed to the next living heir, the Lady Jessica, who declined the title. Paul then ruled that House Harkonnen passed to himself as the last living heir, and became subsumed into the throne.

This has got to be from the newer books- in one of the scenes of CoD it's hinted that Duncan, of all people, doesn't know the truth about the Harkonnen ancestry of Jessica and Paul.

(I'll edit the article myself when I have more time)

I have always assumed that after the events of Dune, House Harkonnen was ruled by some other members of the Harkonnen family, who were never mentioned in the books, until the House went in a complete decline in the times of Leto II.

Yeah.  It's specifically mentioned a few times that House Harkonnen is still around, just vastly reduced in power and influence and tended to keep in the background (any Harkonnen who made a nuisance of himself lost his head).

It is also doubtful that Paul was "the last living heir" to House Harkonnen, as during the scene when Paul reveals to Jessica their ancestry, Jessica first suggests that she comes from a family of a "distant cousin" of the Baron, meaning that there were many minor relatives of the ruling family who could take the Baron's place and title. Also, cousins and other relatives are mentioned in the episode where Feyd fights an Atreides gladiator.

• 2 weeks later...

I have always assumed that after the events of Dune, House Harkonnen was ruled by some other members of the Harkonnen family, who were never mentioned in the books, until the House went in a complete decline in the times of Leto II.

His letting them spend a fortune on building their "secret" no-globe no doubt a primary cause of that decline? ;)

• 2 weeks later...