Untold Dune stories

Dunenewt

Wasn't the original idea that Guild never mingled in politics? Did they ever have something like internal politics? The Guild (as well as Bene Gesserit) was a result of Butlerian Jihad. In this Jihad, there were already powers enough distinguished to get control over the universe and willing to provide the Guild with anything they wanted. By giving them an absolute neutrality they broke their willingness to seize anything. They never needed weapons to gain their goals. As already mentioned, if they had attempted to control the spice when they could have, it could have resulted in people reviewing the Jihad and turning to Ix or search for other means. (One could think about this monopoly not being so sure in time shortly after the Jihad; but because it was guaranteed by arms and influence of House Corrino - let's say for next 10 000 years - it became gradually unquestionable.) Their monopoly was simply too comfortable to be risked. Render to Ceasar what Caesar's is and to Guild...

They didn't think of it, but expected from the others to do this dirty work. In 10 000 years there had to many attempts like Paul's and exemplary solutions, which made them sure nothing bad can happenĀ  :)

"Tales from The Scattering" seems to be a popular theme. I'm sure there are a lot of things GOOD authors could write about....

THIS - I'd love to read about the scattering. I'm re-reading chapterhouse at the moment, and some times I find myself - book in lap - thinking about what the heck happened in the scattering.

And as Chigger writes - by good authors. Someone who've actually read and loves the original books. God damnit I'm sick of comming closer to the end of chapterhouse...don't know what to read next.

THIS - I'd love to read about the scattering. I'm re-reading chapterhouse at the moment, and some times I find myself - book in lap - thinking about what the heck happened in the scattering.

And as Chigger writes - by good authors. Someone who've actually read and loves the original books. God damnit I'm sick of comming closer to the end of chapterhouse...don't know what to read next.

If you want something about Dune but not the prequels then:

A list of all Dune books and related work

Particularly section: Writings and essays about Dune - First 7 topics. A couple are books, with 1 or 2 being free online to read, or should be at local library.

Along with Dreamer of Dune written by his son so you get to know personal life of Frank Herbert (much better than prequels).

If you want something about Dune but not the prequels then:

A list of all Dune books and related work

Particularly section: Writings and essays about Dune - First 7 topics. A couple are books, with 1 or 2 being free online to read, or should be at local library.

Along with Dreamer of Dune written by his son so you get to know personal life of Frank Herbert (much better than prequels).

thanks mate will look into it. Nothing on the local library though - not much of FH has been translated to danish, and I doub't I'll find the english versions. I'm hunting for the Pandora Saga now - and the rest of his work.

Forums of Dune series!!

It's the Year 2090.

The Dune debates and controversies between those who like Frank Herbert's Dune, and Brian Herbert's Dune, and those who like both, have been raging for 80 years! The Leader of the Eurasian Confederation only likes FH's Dune. The Ruler of the Middle East-African-Australian Union prefers Brian Herbert.

But, in North America, the concept of sparking the memories of gholas has come to pass. Frank Herbert's ghola is awakened, reads all of Brian's Dune novels, and later says, "Go easy on ol' Brian".

Brian Herbert's ghola is re-born, and says, "I like you dad."

"No war", they reply in unison, and bond over coffee.

Frank turns to Brian, and says, "In the Winds of Dune, why did you and Kevin have Paul join a traveling Circus?" Brian has no answer.

Brian looks at his dad and asks, "How could possibly an Honored Matre civilization survive?". Frank says, "Don't question me son."

Two weeks later, they aren't speaking. A month later Frank flies to Eurasia...while Brian is on his way to the Middle East!

The debate heats up between the two continent nations, and soon nukes are flying.

"What has happened before will happen again".