Dune pronunciations - official guide

Dunenewt

An "official" guide, is it? ;)

There is occasionally a bit of mismatch between the pronunciations FH had in his head and how he transcribed them. Or between how things were written and he said them. <b>Chani</b>, from the Usul.net page, is a perfect example of the former: FH pronounced it like CHAIN-ee. (A thoroughly American pronunciation, by the way. If it's supposed to be Fremen Arabic, wouldn't it be CHAH-nee?)

<b>Giedi Prime</b> represents the latter: it should be pronounced JAY-dee or jee-EH-dee, based on the spelling. (Like many star names it's evidently Arabic in origin, from al-Jadii, according to Wikipee.)

(Which audiobook reader was it that garbles sietch into a military-code-like "C-H"? And what do they do with Scytale?)

Publishing a full list of FH's pronunciation notes on their website is another example of something the HLP could do but doesn't.

Atreides - Ah-tray-a-dees

(The) Baron of Giedi Prime (Baron Vladimir) - Gay-tee Prime; Vlahd-uh-meer

But Ah-tray-a-dees should be Atreidis,instead Atreides?I don't know much about greek.

About Vladimir,I don't know well about the english spelling,but the uh seems wrong...it should be Vladimir just like the russian premier,so without the u!

And about Giedi....I prefer Jedi,but it is just me.

I didn't know that, either.

But I like it. Very much: it accords well with my view of the universe that even though he rose to the level he did, people mispronounced his name every time they referred to him and he did nothing (or couldn't do anything) about it. 

But Ah-tray-a-dees should be Atreidis,instead Atreides?I don't know much about greek.

About Vladimir,I don't know well about the english spelling,but the uh seems wrong...it should be Vladimir just like the russian premier,so without the u!

And about Giedi....I prefer Jedi,but it is just me.

ah-TRAY-dees sounds about right to me. Though I wouldn't bother to put in the extra -a- to get the extra space between trei- and -des. By comparison, Achilles is pronounced ah-KILL-ees, Herakles HER-ah-klees, Hades HAY-dees and so on...

At least, that's the accepted english pronunciation. It may differ in actual greek, but FH didn't intend that I'm sure.

Guest D.dioto

i dont remember people askin how to stuff tongues.

instead of posting it on uptowns, why not actually credit the people that made this guide and link it to their site?

way to be original

• 1 month later...

I just thought I would transcribe the pronunciations given in

regarding Frank Herbert's notes on pronunciations of Dune related words.  

Here's a screenshot of FH's notes from the video.

DuneSeriesPronunciations.jpg

*Edit*

In addition there is the harper audio of FH reading several selections from Dune which can be used as a guide for pronunciations.