OpenDune

Xaroth

The funny thing is that the developers initially wanted to use a RULES.INI-like file in Dune II called PROFILE.INI (you can get it here), but then they dropped this idea for some reason, only to return to it in Red Alert.

Hopefully we can see the 'inside' version of that, perhaps, maybe there are some references to it, and we'll be able to see what it is exactly :)

As far as I've seen, most of it is the data already implemented in my editor, so that won't be too hard.

I was more thinking of the code-base information on it.. where it is referenced (if it's referenced at all), and if so, why/how it's used.

On a separate note, we entered out pre-release cycle.. even though at this point 100% what we do is bugfixes anyways, and we managed to book some nice progress on getting some unresolved points ironed out... mostly due to the help of others (Our team has spawned a new member as well, glx).

In the meanwhile I have been busy re-shaping parts of the site and wiki, giving it a bit more of a dune-ish feeling to things.

If people are interested in running it and aren't able to compile it by themselves (it took me a few hours to figure out as well), drop me a line on this or our forums and I'm sure I can accomedate for something.. for now we'll have to rely quite a bit on people helping us test, so any help is more than appreciated.

• 2 weeks later...

I'd say anything what you code in the C++ ...

Well I believe that OpenDune will be used only for modding the Dune with complete freedom (add new units, fully play with the tech tree, custom weapons, human controllable worms :), all 6 houses at selecting screen, fixing all the minor bugs for the new houses etc.).

Perhaps someone will implement things like multiple unit selection or better AI but I wouldn't really expect multiplayer as that's features on remake scenes.

Ability to modify all data in ini files? :P

That just doesn't explain anything really. Both Red Alert and Red Alert 2 allow to modify all data in the ini files, but the difference is huge.

human controllable worms :)

That is already possible in Dune II:

supersandworm.png

And I think sandworms can even be made buildable in Dune II for that matter.

Right, one step at a time.

We're first working on converting the game from bytecode to assembly representation in C, to pure C.. we won't do any modding on it until we feel is a good time, which is most likely when we're done converting it to pure C.

That doesn't mean, however, that we don't have ideas/dreams on what we can do... ranging from things like LUA support to replace the unit settings (including scripts) to multiplayer support to various other things..

in general, yes, OpenDUNE will allow for modding, and heavy modding.. but we're trying to keep this project as close to the original Dune as possible, so it's more than likely that somebody else will make a heavily-modded branch that will be nothing like the dune we know.

Re: new units, self repair.. as said, possible most likely, but it won't be until we're ready that we decide to put it in or not.. If you have a (what you think) good idea, feel free to post them on the suggestion forum, I'll most likely be putting up a post myself with some pointers on how/what we like to see as suggestions (concept wise)

Granted I decide to work out my LUA plan a bit more (and put it on our suggestion forums for others to read/comment), technically that would make it a really small step up for allowing more units to be made.. I'll make a note of that for my own suggestion thread.

In the end we hope that OpenDUNE will be moddable yes, in a special way. By default, the game will be like Dune2 now is. Including all the weirdness and annoying things (maybe some bug-fixes, but that is about it). Then you can add mods, or change settings, to increase the fun and reality of the game, and as Xaroth pointed out, even Total Conversions should be possible. How this will be done exactly is not known at this stage, as it kind of depends on Dune2 handles a few things in its internals.

What my personal hope is, and it is nothing more than a hope for now, that there is a framework, on which the original Dune2 is a mod. How ever it goes, the game is always revertable to his original behaviour, and any changes are made upon that.

That just doesn't explain anything really. Both Red Alert and Red Alert 2 allow to modify all data in the ini files, but the difference is huge.

That is already possible in Dune II:

supersandworm.png

And I think sandworms can even be made buildable in Dune II for that matter.

Well the automatic worm AI will override your command, that is if you want it to eat specific unit or move somewhere else.

you cannot edit everything via ini in RA1...

eg you are not able to disable rotating turrets on units like the mobile gap generator...

How about these two features:

-> sound support

-> full screen

Sound support is part of the conversion, if it's 100% feasable in it's current state I don't know yet, but I'm sure it'll work one way or another.

Re: Fullscreen support... I think that's more feasable in combination with an improved graphics set... stretching a 320x200 pixel window to 1600x1200 will make things look a bit... dotted :P

that said, I added my suggestion for Lua on the suggestion forum, I hope more will follow ;)

you cannot edit everything via ini in RA1...

eg you are not able to disable rotating turrets on units like the mobile gap generator...

That's what I meant, you can only edit everything that is allowed to be edited via the ini files, and that is just not an answer.

Thanks for the explanation, Xaroth and TrueBrain (after all, my question was addressed to you :)). Good luck with your project, hope there will be frequent updates ;D

Frequent updates there will be, as described on the forum/wiki our release cycle will be fairly quick, 3 months between releases.

That said, the project is nothing without the help we are getting, and I hope that in time more people will join in on the fun.

That's what I meant, you can only edit everything that is allowed to be edited via the ini files, and that is just not an answer.

Pah, that's what I mean with choice of ini design. You can just as well choose to include that option in the ini. They just chose not to, but we don't have to be limited by that. There's no reason not to put all the data we've identified into an ini file.

Speaking of bugfixes, I hope you'll fix the one that allows the AI to rebuild destroyed structures on top of the player's units and buildings.

Well, personally, I don't think that is a bug, given that the AI can only rebuild buildings on the place they were build in the first place. Knowing that, it would be annoying if this problem was 'fixed', as defeating an AI would be dead simple. Destroy his turret, put a unit at that spot, and you never see that turret again. So 'fixing' this would make the AI very very easy to defeat, even more in the last campaign.

That said, of course it is cheating, so I really hope we can implement some framework in which people can develop more clever AIs, which don't need this kind of cheating. I already designed (and implemented) such framework for OpenTTD, which already resulted in very clever and nice-to-play-with AIs, so I guess that should be very doable for a project of this size.

But to answer your question, on short term, don't expect this 'bug' to be fixed, as I don't think it is a bug, but more a way for the AI to survive :)

PS: just like Xaroth, I kindly ask you all to bring suggestions/ideas/bug-fixes-like-this to our own forum/bug-tracker, as things in here will get lost in the future.

Sound support is part of the conversion, if it's 100% feasable in it's current state I don't know yet, but I'm sure it'll work one way or another.

Re: Fullscreen support... I think that's more feasable in combination with an improved graphics set... stretching a 320x200 pixel window to 1600x1200 will make things look a bit... dotted :P

that said, I added my suggestion for Lua on the suggestion forum, I hope more will follow ;)

scale2x & friends..?

IMO scaling in game graphics (that being units, structures etc.) wont' look good either way if scaled as they're designed as low res and to look as from far, using scale2x etc. makes them just look cartoonish..

I wouldn't want to increase size of that kind of game graphics anyways..

But for animations, menu graphics etc., it sounds definitely sensible, I've embedded scale2x with 2x, 2x3, 2x4, 3x & 4x in my libeastwood library for such, if anyone would have the interest.. :)