OpenDune

Xaroth

One thing I noticed (apart from the new release still being unstable) is that although I turned auto-scroll on in the options menu, it still did not work, i.e. I had to click the mouse button to scroll the screen.

could you define 'unstable' .. crashing every hour, every two hours, every two minutes? .. if you have crash reports (running it from a command prompt on windows will give you the logs of the crashes), can you please submit each and any at http://bugs.opendune.org/

Well, I did not do any extensive testing, just played mission 1 for the Ordos. It crashed right after I accumulated the necessary amount of credits with a "Memory Corrupt" message. Prior to that, the mouse stopped responding (the cursour would move but I could not click on anything) while both of my Havresters (I built two Refineries) started unloading. I still could cycle through units and buildings on the map with the Tab key though.

Oh, and the F1-F3 keys did not work for me too.

I remember it also did happen in v0.1, but then again, I did not test it extensively either. Another thing concerning the mouse is that the cursor movement isn't as smooth as in the original version, and it's a bit slower as well.

Slower-ish mouse speed can be somewhat due to how it's being dealt with, it goes from SDL to libemu, to the code, and then back again.. it should be barely noticable though...

it should be barely noticable though...

Well, it's pretty noticeable on my PC (WinXP) compared to the original both run natively and in DOSBox. However, it might be that I did not use the appropriate wording to describe this issue: perhaps the effects observed are not of slower movement, but rather of lags, i.e. the delays between the actual physical movement of the mouse and the movement of the cursor. Metaphorically, I would describe it as if something hindered the movement of the mouse.

• 4 weeks later...

I think you are out of luck with those. As for all those bits, all I can say: unused in 1.07 EU :P

Variable 36 (Unknown 028 + Unknown 029):

Bit usage:

1 - Not used (028, bit 1)

3 - Not used (028, bit 3)

9 - Not used (029, bit 1)

10 - Not used (029, bit 2)

All the other 12 bits are used. Well .. maybe those unuseds are used in parts never run while analyzing Dune2, but OpenDUNE runs without ever reading (or writing) those bits.

And then there is this very small maybe it is hiding by some weird construction, and they are used after all. But at this stage, I strongly doubt that ;)

Just a question, is open dune for dos? Or is it being ported to a modern day OS?

May I ask why?

I dislike anything that is command-line, or emulated on anything other then a full screen virtual pc, only exception is a handheld device emulator, which actually gives me more screen then the device its designed for, and more keys.

Not really... Windows has awful command line parameter support. I like doing things manually, if it gives me more possibilities.

Besides, your comparison doesn't apply to games. Shiny new games might be shiny and new, but they're simply not the same games.