Mission File Discussion

mvi

can be starport captured to   receivie their reinforcements?

Yes it can, just select an engineer and hold control and capture their starport

OR

Switch the value in the mission file and set it so that you can receive the reinforcements instead of them:

Just open the .mis file, go to offset FAC07, and switch the value 05 to 02, making it ordos.

Very good DONE

Did you made the whole map with hex editor or you used some tool ?

I used Shai Halud to edit the maps (bases, spice etc)

The reason that the mercenaries do not build units is because they exceed their unit count since they receive reinforcements from the starport. After having a certain amount of units on the battlefield they wont build anymore units. You will still notice that both houses have plenty of units to attack with, even though they dont build any.

If you were to take away their starport, they would rely on building units themselves

I nearly have to disappoint you again... events and conditions HAVE to be declared.  I tried to repeat my 'duplicating feat' only to discover that I had merely overwritten an existing one in my success.  And yes, the rest will be junk; you can type anything, even random strings, and no error will occur.

Now, it was a 'nearly', because I hereby present to you a profound discovery!  So they have to be declared, right?  The question is, where?  In O9V1, 49 working events and 37 working triggers mean a search for a 0x31 and a 0x25 - and Volia!  At the very two bytes before the timer (0x10728 and 0x10729), the values are there, side by side!  I increased the number of events by 4 and gave myself 4 more reinforcements.  And they appeared.  Aha!  Now that's what I call an Eureka! 8)

I'm still hopeless at AI though. :-[

Hey loval, I was wondering what did you enter in to increase it by 4 more events at the bytes of 31 25??

My Shai Halud program can't places buildings. Can you tell my how to do that.

Can you incres the Unit count ? To be able to build units and the silos to be not full.

Can you do something like that:

20 units for defens, and until you get 40 units for attack, don't attack.

To answer our fellow DUNErs:

Hey loval, I was wondering what did you enter in to increase it by 4 more events at the bytes of 31 25??

change 31 to 35 (that is four events) - 35 (dec:53) will now enable declaration of all events from 00 (the first) to 34 (the 52nd), hence a total of 53 (decimal).  You may change the number of conditions by the same way, but to the 25 value.

Can you incres the Unit count ? To be able to build units and the silos to be not full.

I am not sure about that; this is the scope of AI.  As far as I know, events do not support this event or ultilize 'attack' as an action.  I hope those currently working on it may also shed some light on it.

The reason that the mercenaries do not build units is because they exceed their unit count since they receive reinforcements from the starport. After having a certain amount of units on the battlefield they wont build anymore units. You will still notice that both houses have plenty of units to attack with, even though they dont build any.

If you were to take away their starport, they would rely on building units themselves

What you said is true; the AI only builds enough to satisfy their needs, and checks the current stock against their needs by sheer counting on the map.  The AI behaviour in my edited O9V1 suggests this.  In Tiberian Dawn and Red Alert, unlike later games, they do not use 'pools' of units (reserves in the base - an effective base defense).  My guess from my observation, is that Dune 2000 acts likewise (their base defense just employs every unit currently not on a mission - attacking or harvesting or guarding when pre-placed) - no 'pool' of units, hence the vulnerability of AI bases, unless there are tons of AI teams executed.  This will have to be verified.

I am currently enlisted in the Army (not the Sardukar or Fremen or whatever :P), so my activity will be at low (but above zero, thankfully).  I am compling my 'research' on the Mission File and post a version sometime... maybe next month?

In the meantime,

Why the Fremen player always acts, looks, and builds like Emperor house in O9V1?

The bytes 0x50 to 0x58 are declarations on the TYPE of house the relevant player is in (player 0 to player 7, zero-based).  The values 00 to 07 for the parameters are identical to convention we are using.  Only that putting a value of 02 for player 6 will give the ordinarily merc's (06) house all the properties of the Ordos (02) house, including colour, and the Ordos heavy factory, but abandon its unique factory.  Setting them as 00 01 02 03 04 05 06 07 will give you your standard campagain houses, But you may use 00 01 01 01 01 01 03 07, if you want the impression of a Harkonnen super-base with an Emperor camp (you, of course, will be the Atredies).

That's all I have for now.

Loval Midas

Play Dune 2000.  That is the order.

To answer our fellow DUNErs:

change 31 to 35 (that is four events) - 35 (dec:53) will now enable declaration of all events from 00 (the first) to 34 (the 52nd), hence a total of 53 (decimal).  You may change the number of conditions by the same way, but to the 25 value.

I am not sure about that; this is the scope of AI.  As far as I know, events do not support this event or ultilize 'attack' as an action.  I hope those currently working on it may also shed some light on it.

What you said is true; the AI only builds enough to satisfy their needs, and checks the current stock against their needs by sheer counting on the map.  The AI behaviour in my edited O9V1 suggests this.  In Tiberian Dawn and Red Alert, unlike later games, they do not use 'pools' of units (reserves in the base - an effective base defense).  My guess from my observation, is that Dune 2000 acts likewise (their base defense just employs every unit currently not on a mission - attacking or harvesting or guarding when pre-placed) - no 'pool' of units, hence the vulnerability of AI bases, unless there are tons of AI teams executed.  This will have to be verified.

I am currently enlisted in the Army (not the Sardukar or Fremen or whatever :P), so my activity will be at low (but above zero, thankfully).  I am compling my 'research' on the Mission File and post a version sometime... maybe next month?

In the meantime,

Why the Fremen player always acts, looks, and builds like Emperor house in O9V1?

The bytes 0x50 to 0x58 are declarations on the TYPE of house the relevant player is in (player 0 to player 7, zero-based).  The values 00 to 07 for the parameters are identical to convention we are using.  Only that putting a value of 02 for player 6 will give the ordinarily merc's (06) house all the properties of the Ordos (02) house, including colour, and the Ordos heavy factory, but abandon its unique factory.  Setting them as 00 01 02 03 04 05 06 07 will give you your standard campagain houses, But you may use 00 01 01 01 01 01 03 07, if you want the impression of a Harkonnen super-base with an Emperor camp (you, of course, will be the Atredies).

That's all I have for now.

Loval Midas

Play Dune 2000.  That is the order.

Yup definitly understand how there can be multiple houses on the map. A simple value switch changes it all. What I have tried was try and make my self mercenaries or emperor, but unfortunatly you get a crash when you click a unit since their is no sound file.

But I think Im almost done cracking down on the AI. I have been switching values that alter their attack and defense power. If you tried out my mission i posted up before, youll see the smugglers i placed attack very heavily. There is a value at the end of each AI section. NORMALLY youll see 19 19. I make It 19 32. it MAY mean unit count for attack, or power, but im completely uncertain, but im also sure that there is alot more coding on AI behavior in the AI section that changes this.

And thanks for the increase conditions. I was wondering did you have to add any more conditions in the condition section, or did you just add more reinforcements in the triggers?

In order to place buildings on a map, you must copy and paste buildings from other made maps to your map. Shai Halud does not have the ability to freely place unfortunatly.

Im still researching the AI. So far I have figured out skirmish and campaign AI, their attack and defense power, and so far thats it. Theres alot more to test, but ill update regularly

YOU CAN BE MERCENARY  AND USE UNITS IF you in shortcut disble sound (add parameter -s) since no sound is played its not using sound resources

------------

untested need confirmation. i will update when i test

---------------

update:  it still  asks for sound !! this means ever disabling sound driver in dune2k we cant get  it.. i have tried to be mercenary in mission 7 of ordos

Yes, I know you can be any house you want in any mission, Fremen, emperor, smugglers etc. But unfortunately westood did not create sound files for these added houses, only for the primary. All you can do for no is switch your house to one of the three that are implemented with sound

With time you will probably find the location for max units.

With time you will probably find the location for max units.

Absolutely, Ive had a lot of time to devote to researching, but it will come to a halt for just a little bit, I have finals soon.

But im close to cracking down on some values that play a big importance on how the AI behaves in offense and defense.

Any way to bypass the max limit of units/buildings per map?

There isnt (at least I think so) a limit to units or buildings that can be built. In terms of AI: The AI will create a certain number of units to defend and patrol the base. There is a total number of units that needs to be reached before they send an attack. What I think I have found are two values that tell the AI how many units it leaves for defense and how many it uses to attack. Normally you will see 19 19 as default for each AI. A total of 38 Units will be created and once that is reached, 19 will be used to attack and 19 will defend. Im NOT 100% sure on this, but with what I have been working on im leaning towards this theory.

ai is not patrolling anymore..  patrols would mean ai send random amount of military to any location on map not only attacking your base i.e  make mcv and deploy in other location, move units between bases,   patrols happpens only on dune2000 patched to 1.03 not 1.06 and  they are rare, howerwer on 1.06 they not happen either.

ai is not patrolling anymore..  patrols would mean ai send random amount of military to any location on map not only attacking your base i.e  make mcv and deploy in other location, move units between bases,   patrols happpens only on dune2000 patched to 1.03 not 1.06 and  they are rare, howerwer on 1.06 they not happen either.

Well In terms of patrolling i just mean that the AI would just move around the base defending, but they wouldnt randomly move to another location. They do attack in teams instead of random units

There isnt (at least I think so) a limit to units or buildings that can be built.
No there is. Use a cheat to have plenty money and build, build, build (units/buildings), ... you will reach limit. If we are to develop huge maps with plenty houses this will be an issue, provided that the limit is global.

What I really need help with is the conditions sector.

If any one has a good deal of knowledge on how they work I could use a tutorial

What I do know:

I know for an event to take place, the corresponding conditions must be met.

I know that within the event triggers, the variables after the action (i.e Reinforcements 03 00 07 02) relates to the conditions

What I need to know how to do.

What conditions mean what in the condition section. (I.e in o9v2 when Mercs receive reinforcements via starport, how would that be typed out in the hex editor)

How long (bytes) each condition sector is.

How to relate the event to the trigger.

If anyone can give me a thorough tutorial I would be forever grateful.

With a clear knowledge on how the conditions work, I can completely create a mission from scratch, for I have knowledge on all other sections in the .mis file.

Thanks again

What I really need help with is the conditions sector.

If any one has a good deal of knowledge on how they work I could use a tutorial

What I do know:

I know for an event to take place, the corresponding conditions must be met.

I know that within the event triggers, the variables after the action (i.e Reinforcements 03 00 07 02) relates to the conditions

What I need to know how to do.

What conditions mean what in the condition section. (I.e in o9v2 when Mercs receive reinforcements via starport, how would that be typed out in the hex editor)

How long (bytes) each condition sector is.

How to relate the event to the trigger.

If anyone can give me a thorough tutorial I would be forever grateful.

With a clear knowledge on how the conditions work, I can completely create a mission from scratch, for I have knowledge on all other sections in the .mis file.

Thanks again

You need to review the excel document I sent you. There is a max of 64 events and 48 conditions. Each event is exactly 72 bytes long and each condition is exactly 28 bytes long. In the excel document I sent you there are two lists of event and condition codes, from this you should be able to work out the format for each type of condition and event. Have you figured out the entire AI section? If so, that's the last bit I needed to figure out, so it would be straightforward to put together a mission editor tool.

Yes I actually did review your excel, I forgot I had it ;D. Im just having trouble with some variables and understanding the codes a little bit, but I was fooling around with the conditions, and was able to uncover some things.

With the AI, Im not 100% on it. I found some things that altered their gameplay.

In the beginning of each AI section you will notice the side (i.e 02:ordos), AI activation (00-non active 01-active) the after FF, youll notice 01 after 2 bytes. When I was fooling around with these I notice that when switching the first two 00's before it enables Skirmish AI.

There is alot more that I fooled around with, Id rather type up a text doc. and send it too you, if you'd like. And thanks again for the excel doc, Im gonna try and work with it. I just wanna know, how do you make a trigger repeat? (i.e mercenaries receiving reinforcements via starport in o7,8 and 9)?

EDIT

NEVERMIND:

Ive located it. At the end of the condition i placed 00 03 00 03 this repeats the trigger.  Thanks to your excel doc!!

Thats one thing out of the way :)

Yes I actually did review your excel, I forgot I had it ;D. Im just having trouble with some variables and understanding the codes a little bit, but I was fooling around with the conditions, and was able to uncover some things.

With the AI, Im not 100% on it. I found some things that altered their gameplay.

In the beginning of each AI section you will notice the side (i.e 02:ordos), AI activation (00-non active 01-active) the after FF, youll notice 01 after 2 bytes. When I was fooling around with these I notice that when switching the first two 00's before it enables Skirmish AI.

There is alot more that I fooled around with, Id rather type up a text doc. and send it too you, if you'd like. And thanks again for the excel doc, Im gonna try and work with it. I just wanna know, how do you make a trigger repeat? (i.e mercenaries receiving reinforcements via starport in o7,8 and 9)?

I'll try to type up some of my notes, I believe its either the interval (2) or timer (3) condition code. I've got an interesting theory as to the more advanced functionality of timers. I would presume interval would achieve that functionality, however if my theory is correct timers should be capable of doing it too. There's still a lot of event codes I've not figured out, but that seems fairly exciting as we may be able to uncover new functionality. I'll post more tomorrow, I'm off out clubbing now.

mvi can you tell my how you have make a program that edit the .mis files ?

Is it editing like hex ? And if is like that can you tell my how you do that and haw you make the visual interface for your program ?

mvi can you tell my how you have make a program that edit the .mis files ?

Is it editing like hex ? And if is like that can you tell my how you do that and haw you make the visual interface for your program ?

I program it, ordinarily using Microsoft Visual C#