[TUT]Converting R16 images to TGA

mvi

Great, Gruntlord6 has sent me some of the files and taking a look at them, I think there may be enough information for me to finish the R8/R16 Resource Editor I started a couple of years ago. 

• Upvote 3

Great, Gruntlord6 has sent me some of the files and taking a look at them, I think there may be enough information for me to finish the R8/R16 Resource Editor I started a couple of years ago. 

That file manager is terrible, the graphics make it look like it was designed for windows 3.0

I hope you can figure it out. When looking at the first image in MOUSE.R16, it looks like the raw data (in XVI32) contains no shadow, but the exported image clearly has it. I don't know how that is possible, I'm no computer hacker.

Now that the 16bit images are "loose", it's so easy to make a nice animation:

25i50cg.gif

11bhlsp.gif

• Upvote 4

I hope you can figure it out. When looking at the first image in MOUSE.R16, it looks like the raw data (in XVI32) contains no shadow, but the exported image clearly has it. I don't know how that is possible, I'm no computer hacker.

Now that the 16bit images are "loose", it's so easy to make a nice animation:

25i50cg.gif

11bhlsp.gif

Wow these look good! Think you could make a more complex one? Like a siege tank killing a light infantry?

Thanks for link to plugin!

-

Total Commander is NOT Trial version. It simply gives you a nag screen when you start it (You have to press 1, 2, 3) and nothing else, no limitations, no delays, regardless you have used it for 1 day or 1 century!!!

Main limitation being its really buggy and outdated.

You refer to Total Commander or the plugin? Total Commander has never crashed on me. Outdated? August 3, 2012?

Referring to the user interface and installer design. Just because he has worked on it recently, doesn't mean its not hideously designed and severely lacking in features (creating a folder didn't seem to be an option, and if it is one, it is poorly designed). The plugin couldn't really be very buggy, although it corrupts the bmp conversion and cant extract certain r16 files.

• Upvote 1

Great news!

Small feature request is that the tool has miniature previews so it's easy to find the image you are looking for. But!, if it's too much work, unstable (or laggy) please don't waste your time on it. Maybe one big exported image containing all the images and index numbers might also be enough.

Future thoughts:

Another perhaps useful feature would be to combine image sequences so it's easier to export animations and re-import them. Is there actually a data file that contains information on what images are used for animation and together with what image as background? For example that the data says which images need to be used to generate the "blinking" effect when building a tank in the heavy factory. Combining that information with the images in data.r16 would make modding easier.

Nice ideas :-)

I fixed a bug in the R16 loading, so graphically it looks ok now.

It turns out where I'd left the resource editor last year was actually reasonably complete, there's still lots of sprites it doesn't handle yet, so it skips quite a few. 

LT4qB5C.png

Bi0CAwo.png

• Upvote 1

Looks like I was already reading those entries that UnPacker loads as bitmaps, I just wasn't adding them to the list. I've hooked those entries up to the PALETTE.BIN now. With the inclusion of those entries, my tool comes back with an entry count of 5105 for both Data.R8 and Data.R16. Which is the same as the count that UnPacker returns. What's interesting to note is that the Dune 2000 Image Converter, which only supports R8 will only load 4997 entries for Data.R8, so I guess they skip a few.

By hooking those entries to PALETTE.BIN I now appear to get the same results as UnPacker, including those images which clearly have the wrong palette.

Nice ideas :-)

I fixed a bug in the R16 loading, so graphically it looks ok now.

It turns out where I'd left the resource editor last year was actually reasonably complete, there's still lots of sprites it doesn't handle yet, so it skips quite a few. 

[image]

[image]

Looking good. Excuses for complaining right away, but I would rather have a zoom function that enlarges the image on "pixel level" so no blur. You have opened a .R16 file, but the "Bits Per Pixel" still says 8? A little luxury would be if I can export the images without the pink background and a nice big button that says "Export all". :-)

Is it also possible to make an image bigger or smaller in dimension? What will happen?

AvZWhzf.png

Those parts that are white look a lot like those are missing in the high resolution patch from N.Kindt.