Shields and worms

casper

I was thinkig about this... In the book the reason shields was because weren't often used they attracted worms. Is this true in the game or what? Cause that would be a great strategy. If it doesn't, they should don't you think. I read that some people want to include more shield generating units, i think they should take this in mind.

Guest Albatross

Well, actually, WestWood had to kind of do things differently...

See, in the book, Shields don't just attract worms.  No, they practically scream at them from huge distances, the radiation and energy in the shields being destructive to the life energy of the worms.  A simple belt-shield, I believe it was said, could draw worms from several tens of kilometers away.  ALL worms in that area.  It didn't annoy them, no, it sent them into a KILLING FRENZY.  They destroyed everything in the area of the shield, even after it stopped, just to make sure.

In Emperor, shielded units are only marginally greater at attaracting worms than regular units.  Were this like the novel and movies, if you sent your Tron Tank out onto the field, there'd be anywhere from 3-6 worms popping up in the area within a minute or so, destroying everything in sight.  Normal sized worms.  Perhaps it would even draw a couple of the greater Shai-Hulud. Ya know, I kinda like that.. :)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

[glow=red,2,300]indeed, if the shield was on it would be a yummy treat. but that makes me wonder why that would attract worms unless the shield is generated by rythmic vibrations and if so why do they not design a shield run by random vibrations.

??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ???[move] ???[/move]

[/glow]

Yes, the shield does generate rythmic vibrations while in use and to such a degree in frequency that it drives the worms to destroy the source of the sonic distrubtance. Here is an educated guess on making the sheild random, the flux in the frequency would proably not be able to create a continious shield therefore defeating the whole purpose of the shield. Maybe even quite frankly no one ever thought to change/modify the sheild. The fremen would not have because they did not use shields to begin with and anybody not living on Dune* would not have to worry about the worms.

*( No one went to live on Dune except spice miners and the like)

You could have multiple shields (at different frequencies), randomly switching between them quickly, but that would require complicated technology (probably bio-electronics and other things), not to mention the fact that about 20 different, independant shields would be needed for one person. Incidentally, any Holtzman generator - including suspensors - will drive worms mad; some Ordos units use these as well - to hover.

I do not know if that is even a factor Subrupunk cause we all know that it only takes one intruder on the spice field to attract a worm. I think this also involes the bio-structure of the worm itself. The worm is blind in that it has no eyes to see we know instead it sees by the detection of rythmic vibrations. The Holtzman generator is madding to the worms because of what ever organ(s) it uses (the worms) to detect vibrations the Holtzman generator has amplified the vibration

• 2 months later...

shields atract worms more quick than armors .......

in next rts game the west can put the fishspakers[thats women can make a brutal party against all the things]

las and shield are danger to be side by side i dont know what i prefer worm u a atomic blast ::) ::) ::)