D2TM Progress

stefanhendriks

• 1 month later...

I was on a holiday and worked from time to time on a zooming feature. Ie, where you can zoom in/out on the battle field using your scroll wheel. I found it a quite neat feature in C&C Remastered (and in the Golden Path dune remake).

I had to dive into real old rendering code, and I really had to restrain myself from rewriting stuff (pitfal!). The result so far is that I can zoom, but rendering is far from perfect. It also is unstable. Hence, see this github ticket: https://github.com/stefanhendriks/Dune-II---The-Maker/issues/65

Screenshots:

800x600_0005_zoomed_in.jpg

800x600_0001_zoomed_out.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Working on sidebar:

image.thumb.png.fa27702e5b2b67fd91c947c4a4eb8a98.png

So the idea is to have the minimap at the top right.

The building list icons which where at the left are at the top. Considering to merge a few of them into one. Ie, the troopers/units can be merged. (even air?)

While playing I thought it would be nice to have shortkeys to access these lists and move around the building list with WSAD perhaps? Oh well.

The upgrade button is still at the top left, but perhaps this can be done smarter. Ie its a lot of ground to travel (mouse-wise). Unsure there.

You can still choose, right?

Perhaps you should look at all kind of different RTS. To get inspiration.

Dune 2000 is a good start. It has the upgrades and choam in different tabs. Simply sort the units like Dune2000 for easy to find.
Red Alert 2 had a double column per tab. Maybe put infantry with vehicles. And the usage of the super weapon with the slabs/turrets/walls.
Generals has the super weapon in the screen. With a number of how many you have.
I still like the Warcraft 2 approach.
Who knows, maybe AoW3 might spark your interest.

10 hours ago, X3M said:

You can still choose, right?

Perhaps you should look at all kind of different RTS. To get inspiration.

Dune 2000 is a good start. It has the upgrades and choam in different tabs. Simply sort the units like Dune2000 for easy to find.
Red Alert 2 had a double column per tab. Maybe put infantry with vehicles. And the usage of the super weapon with the slabs/turrets/walls.
Generals has the super weapon in the screen. With a number of how many you have.
I still like the Warcraft 2 approach.
Who knows, maybe AoW3 might spark your interest.

true.

I have recently merged some lists, so it reduces the amount of tabs. I am still researching what would fit nicely for upgrading. I didnt really like Dune2k's approach. 

I think deciding where to put which icon is open for debate (relatively easy to change). The only thing I am not sure of yet is how to deal with upgrades. Ie, some games show the icons you can build, but disabled because you require an upgrade. Sometimes, clicking on that icon will cause the upgrade to be executed. Then again, this is not always the case for non-lineair upgrade paths (cause confusion because of it).

So perhaps a list for "upgradables" would be nice, which is kinda like Dune2K , but simply having its own 'list'. There you click the building icon what to upgrade.

I'll look into other games too. 

In C&C3, not upgraded tech's are still greyed out.
If you apply 1 upgrade for all "Barracks". Simply have the infantry squad icon ready. But a grey version of it. It will be replaced with a colour one after the upgrade.
If single player missions have less tech to begin with. The icon is replaced with an "absense", or a picture that is supposed to be on the spot of the greyed version.

As for the tabs, let's see what C&C3 has to offer:
C&C 3 actually has a tab that only contain 2 air units.
All vehicles and tanks are together in another tab.
The Palace and Silo could be together with the slabs and turrets and walls in the "defence" tab
If a super weapon is ready, an icon in the screen should appear.
Infantry have their own tab.
All other buildings have their own tab.

As for locations of the icon's... you kinda could follow the C&C series in that one as well.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I decided to do the C&C 3 way, ie Upgrades in a separate tab/list. 

Still ways to go; but the upgrades are working. They are also more configurable, so less hard-coding and possibly to move them into a `game.ini` file.

Do note, the 'upgrade' list is (for now) at the most right, which has the Const yard hook icon. C&C 3 has it at the left. Also, when clicking on such an icon the map might move around (bug). Also the minimap is broken, so still lots to do before it is considered complete.

I have an animated gif this time, hope it works:

d2tm_upgrades_alpha_01.thumb.gif.a5d04a9cb5631926c0a045145bd2ddaa.gif

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Going to download and do a short play test now..
will post some feedback in the morrows

Edit: would appreciate if you updated the fundynamic website pages ;)
i know thats a whole other project and i dont wanna be pushy but theres no way to reach the demo 5 pages from the site link in your sig 😉

Edit2: Cant actually find the 5.01 version (assuming thats it name) on the github page. 😕
I guess i'll test it another time

Edited by Rippsblack

1 hour ago, Rippsblack said:

Going to download and do a short play test now..
will post some feedback in the morrows

Edit: would appreciate if you updated the fundynamic website pages ;)
i know thats a whole other project and i dont wanna be pushy but theres no way to reach the demo 5 pages from the site link in your sig 😉

Edit2: Cant actually find the 5.01 version (assuming thats it name) on the github page. 😕
I guess i'll test it another time

Not sure what you mean? You can reach https://dune2themaker.fundynamic.com/ and get the latest release from https://github.com/stefanhendriks/Dune-II---The-Maker/releases 

The latest release is 0.5.0

Do note, this "D2TM Progress" thread is also about features in between, so not all features are available. Ie, the 4 slab feature will be in another version (probably 0.6.0)

• 2 months later...