dune 2000 modding

Adramelk

hi there, im a fan of this game since it was released, and i recently tried out some of the changes avaiable for download  in this forum. but i wasnt really satisfied, for various reasons. Since i read most can be edited or changed, and i even saw some people here could modify even the campaign missions (! nice one^^ ) i wondered what exactly can u change and what cant be changed in the game.. because i thought of a list of changes for a new mod, but im absolutely clueless on the modding in general..

so if there are  any experts interested would be great

i can post the changes i thought about, if it helps or if someone capable of using those mods with success (actually not thinking of the single player mission, but of LAN and multiplayer battles the most)

i obviously dont know if those changes would be hard to apply or not

ps: the changes i thought about, includes the addition of 2 new faction (emperor +smugglers), a few changes in the AI, changes of structures and units

all things are under strong experiments read other topics, example campagin modding tut  , you can ally with ai, and other topics related to this one.

we can use hex editor to

change diplomacy for skirmish and multiplayer gaming so u wont need use key A

we can change amount of units and buldings of each house in campagin

we can modify colors  available in skirmish game

we are going tio do it soon

1. detect  any possible way to play as mercenary in skirmish gaming

2.  be able to receivie reinforcements from starport and carryal

3.  possiblity to be capable to control sand worms

we are going to work on these things soon as we find hex offsets for reinforcements.  we are closing up because we found many other values so we can modulate game  a bit

oh that sounds nice indeed

i wish you are able to modify everything u want ^^

ill send u in private pm the list of what ive been thinking about anyway, to balance the factions, and get more variety and fun into the game atm, maybe there are some positive ideas you can fetch for your work anyway (or maybe when in future everything about modding is clear, could be possible to develop the mod i thought about)

all things are under strong experiments read other topics, example campagin modding tut   , you can ally with ai, and other topics related to this one.

we can use hex editor to

change diplomacy for skirmish and multiplayer gaming so u wont need use key A

we can change amount of units and buldings of each house in campagin

we can modify colors  available in skirmish game

we are going tio do it soon

1. detect  any possible way to play as mercenary in skirmish gaming

2.  be able to receivie reinforcements from starport and carryal

3.  possiblity to be capable to control sand worms

we are going to work on these things soon as we find hex offsets for reinforcements.  we are closing up because we found many other values so we can modulate game  a bit

worm is an air unit, thus cannot be controlled.

the message i wrote to amigabot:

"first of all, this is not completed or so, just something i could think about to spice a bit the game. i was also thinking of removing the sardaukar units for the harkonnen, and make something else for them (to keep sardaukars for emperor only). for sure there are some stuff which can be done better, just have a look. i couldnt think of better ideas without changing 2 much or the likes. the special forces (ornitop, fremen, missile, saboteur, sardaukar) are boosted to make them more useful and balance the different strenghts! ordos should have the most improvements; the emperor could make large use of sardaukar with their mines while smugglers could have a lot of units for free to compete with rest. id really like to test something like this out.

some of the stuff you wrote like movign worms or paying mercenaries bases to receive their helps looks nifty as well.

anyway!

-------------

2 new factions:

Emperor

Smugglers

Overall (for all factions) changes:

all infantry units are more resistant (10%)

walls are more resistant

worms are slightly faster, but not enough to outrun harvesters

AI builds more gun and rocket turrets in their bases

gun turrets fire faster

starports requires in addition as its normal requisites, the high factory to be builded

starports are changed to never run out of units

starports now cost 25% more

starports allow to order the special units of the main faction ( sonic tanks for atreides, devastator for harkonnen, deviator for ordos, 5 ea sardaukar for emperor, carryall for smugglers but max 1 per order)

carryall cannot be ordered any longer from starports

infantry and trooper units can be ordered by starport in packages of 5ea ( max 1 per order )

fixed the spice maximum capacity bug of refineries

changed the maximum capacity of refineries to 3000 solaris

the preparation time of: death hand missile,ornitophters, saboteur is reduced

possibility to ally with AI or other players, at the start of the multiplayer game. Making an ally (either with AI or another Human player), turns the rest of forces into allying each other vs the alliance

sardaukars and fremen units gained the self healing abitity till 50% of their HP

Atreides changes:

increased the amount of fremen units from Atreides palace from 2 to 4

reduced the time for producing ornitophters

atreides can order sonic tank from starport as special unit (max 1 per time)

Harkonnen changes:

reduced the recharge time for death hand missile from Harkonnen palace

increased damage of the death hand missile

harkonnen faction cannot build walls

harkonnen structures has 20% more hit point

harkonnen can order devastator from starport as special unit (max 1 per time)

Ordos changes:

added the possibility to build missile tanks with a research center

saboteur invisibility last longer

saboteur's invisibility has shorter recharge time

slightly increased the life point of ordos combat tanks

ordos structures are faster to be builded by 20%

ordos can order deviator from starport as special unit (max 1 per time)

Emperor faction features:

emperor faction has the original harkonnen unit list, but no devastator

emperor faction can train sardaukars through an upgraded barracks (harkonnen faction needs hightech factory too in 1.06)

the emperor palace produce 4ea sardaukars unit (same as fremen producing time)

emperor faction can order sardaukars (5unit) by starport as special unit (max 1 per time)

Smugglers faction features:

smuggler faction has the original ordos unit list (with the modified combat tank)

smugglers cannot produce the invisible trike, neither deviators, but can produce missile tanks from research center

smugglers can build Ixian starport, from which they regularly receive (for free) units such as the ordors mercenaries does in their last missions

smugglers requires research center to build the ixian starport

smugglers' ixian starport cost the double of the normal starport and has 50% more hit points

smuggler faction has no palace

smuggler can order carryall units from starport as special unit (max 1 per time)

smugglers' heavy factory has the mercenaries' sprite one

smuggler's Ixian starport has different colours from the normal one / different sprite

---------

let me know what u think about it!

greetings"

i'd be glad to also know in details whats possible already, what will be possible with some new modding experience and what instead is just rather impossible to do in future

i'd love to play with emperor with massive plotoons of sardaukars *-* or as smugglers (would even give them invisible harvesters,/faster carryalls or harvesers, as long as the harvesters stop counting as unit and alas the mission isnt over till the last harvesters are dead.. i hate to search for the last units idling in the corners in the end of missions ;D)

I am an old time Dune fan, I am in the early stages of program in college. I love the game as well as the ideas you guys are flinging around, please let me know what i can do to help progress your work, i am willing to take part in the tedious processes involved if need be.

thank you for your partonage. ;)

we need fully decode .mis files  also  we are trying to change infantry to tanks because we can startt wit over 50  units but  about  40 units is infantry... we need change this too.  dune2000.dat contain some  thicky useful data too.

i saw.. very very amazing!!  how about  converting game data?? i mean if we could play dune2000 in red alert 2,, replace america with atreides,  russia with ordos  yuri with harkonnen . i have tried to modify myself by adding mercenary heavy factory to  allied war factory, i just replaced image..  image was not shown in game and tanks were incoming from ground lol

• 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...

Hi there, mi a fan of this game since it was released, and i recently tried out some of the changes available for download  in this forum. but i wast really satisfied, for various reasons. Since i read most can be edited or changed, and i even saw some people here could modify even the campaign missions (! nice one^^ ) i wondered what exactly can u change and what cant be changed in the game.. because i thought of a list of changes for a new mod, but mi absolutely clueless on the modding in general..

so if there are  any experts interested would be great.

Hi there, mi a fan of this game since it was released, and i recently tried out some of the changes available for download  in this forum. but i wast really satisfied, for various reasons. Since i read most can be edited or changed, and i even saw some people here could modify even the campaign missions (! nice one^^ ) i wondered what exactly can u change and what cant be changed in the game.. because i thought of a list of changes for a new mod, but mi absolutely clueless on the modding in general..

so if there are  any experts interested would be great.

you can change the appearance and units of any house to be another, such as fremen being mercenaries. You can also change the AI from campaign to skirmish, which makes them build engineers and rebuild their base. You can make carryall reinforcements and change mission conditions and events, such as lose events(base destroyed) and win events(capture barracks)

• 1 month later...

hey I'm a die-hard fan of Dune 2000 and I've actually (kinda painfully) been playing it for about five years now and I have about two ideas for mods, I'm just gonna post my ideas here and follow the replies in the hopes of finding a way of pulling it off.

for my first mod, I wanna do a kind of zombie theme. here are the desired changes.

- changes to about every infantry unit, such as color, look and attacks (the health part I can do) maybe a change in name.

- be able to spawn units in certain areas of a map, throughout the entire duration of game.

- possible change of the way you get spice or money.

- the possibility of a tech tree change (for example, building IX and palace without needing any factories or anything else.

- possibility of taking away the heavy factory and starport.

- possibility of finding and allying with computers (and have them ally you back)

- changes to AI such as faction unique behavior (in a game with all three factions, they all act the same, making them easier to take out normally) such as building and unit build orders.

- changes worms in the way that they don't disappear after a certain amount of time or after being damaged a certain amount, instead you kill them (they burst from the sand and flops onto the ground and disappears after a few seconds, if this already isn't present in the game).

- every faction can only make infantry and their special infantry

- troopers, engineers and thumpers will be made into zombie-like infantry, unable to be built by any faction and have only a melee-like attack with quite a big amount of health

- carryalls that come in and drop in reinforcements

-MCVs that look like Thumpers, but (again, if possible) if owning one could allow the creation of buildings, just be able to build one square away or a very small distance like a construction yard, but since the MCV will not be able to be built in it, and I thought it would be a pretty cool idea

I don't really know what my second mod idea would be like... any ideas of what it seems like?

-killing units on top of sand would spawn spice like one of those geyser-looking things (size dependent of course) or would award player with spice.

-if kills award spice, then refineries would most likely be turned into a building that would allow super units to be built or would be taken out. Harvesters would also be faster, have a possible weapon of it's own and would be able to transport units.

- carryalls are faster when picking things up.

- damaging an area of ground beyond a deep crater effect would turn the ground there into sand.

- siege tanks would get a larger blast radius but less damage.

- sonic tanks would be unable to do damage to building/units of the owner.

- devastators would have a splash damage radius of 2 squares (as opposed to damaging one unit it will damage up to four, making it live up to it's name).

- deviators also deal slight splash damage like the devastator and will affect infantry as well.

- fremen have a Regen ability (up to half or full) that would be like an MCV or harvester or would work that they would get health based on a bit of all damage they inflict. they also deal more (possibly double) damage to infantry, since their weapons can kill tanks! (they can actually kill devastators but deal as much damage to infantry as a light infantry can).

- Harvesters aren't affected by sand dunes (they have those roller things, I'd sand dunes would not be able to slow then down).

- Thumper infantry would be able to be eaten, instead of storing worms away (like a safe with money) and would detonate, killing the worm instantly.

- Turrets would be able to detect cloaked enemies (an idea inspired by saboteurs, and their stupid cloaking ability).

- Sardakuars are always trained in pairs of two and have +1 armor than usual (since they look like they have armor).

- rocket turrets have a longer range than gun turrets (or the missile tank would have less range and I'm sure that would suck).

- give the Harkonnen their own trike that has enough damage to decently damage quads and possibly tanks, they have more health, would take a bit longer to make and would be only a bit slower than a normal trike. the Raider would move and turn faster, would have lighter armor and less attack. the Atriedies gets the normal trike which stays the same.

- possibly gives each faction a different amount of spice per load to better suit the different playing styles (might not since it could lead to bugs if you control a refinery from 2 different factions).

- killing a devastator causes the self destruct to activate automatically (I don't think the devastator lives up to it's name quite yet).

- gun turrets have more damage and (if possible) a deeper/louder firing sound.

- all prices, build rates and other stats are changed to reflect changed stats and make the units balanced.

I don't know what in this list is possible, or impossible for now, if there are any possible ones then please post how to do them on here or PM me. I'd really love to pull the first one off, the second is just something I made out of nowhere.