Map Editor for D2TM

Rene

I have tried it, reminded me in a way of Dunedit, my first made dune 2 editor.

I missed the spice dunes, but then again you could not know this. They are character + in the map. They are the hilled spice tiles.

I have made a map, and played it. Worked great and i really like that it is getting easier to create maps.

My next step is to remove the limitation i have put , and the strict naming of the skirmish maps, ie mapXX.ini is not a good way to share maps. I mean, i have a map named map02.ini, and i bet you have one too (but being a totally different map..).

However, this is a next step into getting more skirmish/custom maps and this is what i'd like to see! :) I had fun playing the new map and I enjoyed the easyness of your editor. I bet the final version will be even better ;)

Perhaps you could even have a 'randomize map' algorithm, so you can 'start' from there.

FYI, here is my made map:

I have tried it, reminded me in a way of Dunedit, my first made dune 2 editor.

Hehe, well at first i was thinking to make it a 'WYSIWYG' editor, but remembered the way a map was drawn in Dunedit and that is a lot easier to edit and looks just as clear, maybe even clearer. So thats no coincidence  ;)

I missed the spice dunes, but then again you could not know this. They are character + in the map. They are the hilled spice tiles.

Done

My next step is to remove the limitation i have put , and the strict naming of the skirmish maps, ie mapXX.ini is not a good way to share maps. I mean, i have a map named map02.ini, and i bet you have one too (but being a totally different map..).

Removing the limitations would be great. Removing the strict naming would also be nice.

Perhaps you could even have a 'randomize map' algorithm, so you can 'start' from there.

Nice idea, but pretty hard. But if I can't work it out I can always take a look at D2TM's build in map generator.

FYI, here is my made map:

Forgot to add it?

Ah, darn it. I added the file as INI, but the forum does not accept these. I have zipped it. But you can also find it now at the repository of D2TM (map02.ini).

The 'create random map' algorithm is actually very easy. You should take a look at the map generation of d2tm for instance. It is fairly straight forward, and I intend to improve it. But for now it will do.

Here is the map, zipped.

map02.zip

The link in the first post now links to a newer version. No random maps yet, but I decided to put this one online as I came across some nasty save/load bugs. Also has the Spice Dunes added. And, when you place spice over dunes, they will be converted into spice dunes.

There seems to be a bug in the new version, regarding placing 'start' positions of the players. In the old editor, it works fine. But when i load up the map in the new editor, and save it, the start positions in the editor do not resemble the start positions in game.

Looks like when I fixed the previous load/save bugs, I screwed some other things up ::)

Should be fixed now, I forgot some brackets:

startCell = x + y*mapWidth+1

should have been

startCell = x + y*(mapWidth+1)

Yeah, its still the link in the first post. The first time you load a map, you might have to replace your start points.

Also, I had some nice ideas in mind for the map generator, but it didn't work as well as I expected. So, back to the drawing board :P

• 2 weeks later...

I've added a Mirror Map tool to the editor. You can use it to mirror the map over a horizontal or diagonal edge, so you can easily create symmetric maps. The download link is still in the first post. And a screenie showing a mirrored map:

http://www.xyzw.nl/SkirmishEditor093.png

Notice when you mirror diagonally it isn't really mirrored: the mirrored part is also flipped. I thought it looked better that way.

I really like this feature :) However, it does look like the mirror function shows you a 'preview'. Although it looks like it actually applied it. I think it would be cool to  have a checkbox called "auto-apply". So you can mirror further with the previous mirror action.

Really appreciate this input, thanks!

• 3 months later...

Ah yes.. that is a problem right now :).

Of course anything is possible. So i could create a 'mountain' (thats how i call it anyway :)) bordering with sand immidiately. Would perhaps also require a 'border with spice' variant. Perhaps i can think of something better so you can just apply it on any kind of 'terrain' beneath it.

So the short answer is : no it is not possible yet

The longer answer is above ;)