Old problem with Emperor on Windows 7

ArkAngelMyk

I know I had this problem before and I am not sure how I fixed on a previous Windows install (XP I think).   

The game runs fine except when you select multiple units. Then the game stalls for a few seconds then jumps forward at super speed to catch up to where it should be if it had not stalled.  Other than that game runs great.

Windows 7 64 bit

Intel Core 2 Quad q6700

8 gb ram

Nvidia 9800 gtx+

Nvidia drivers from 6/18/09

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I am running windows 7 64 bit as well, and have the exact same issue. Any time I select more than one unit, my game starts freezing, then hauls ass to catch up.

I am however running the game via an ISO (I always run whatever game I'm playing on an ISO via my SSD, works the fastest) so it has nothing to do with the CD drive.

It may be that I am running two monitors, but I'll look more into it and report my findings here. As it is, I can't even play d2k on vista/7 :(

*edit*

Two monitors isn't the issue, an update on drivers isn't correcting it, a different hard drive doesn't work either.

The only possible thing I can see working is a virtual machine. I will report back on my findings there.

dual core, maybe? I've heard of switching to single core solving similar problems. The cause of such problems is usually that since an app designed for single core runs on dual core, the processes ran on the different cores don't stay synchoronized.

I'm running Win7 x64 7600.blahbling.rtm , same hardware as OP except ATI4890 and X-Fi...

Ebfd  runs fine for me, no  hitches, no issues, no compatibility modes

although i haven't tried the campaign yet, Is that where the problem is?

The dual core issue i think Nyerguds is referring to is the Amd64x2 series(they need a driver fix,yes)

Unless you mean changing affinity from the task manager?(both?)

Update sound drivers too! as well as motherboard chipset as per usual

But seriously, i'd disable sound to see if that's the issue first, don't fix anything that's not broken :)

Maybe there's an nvidia 3d setting that the game doesn't agree with perhaps, just a guess

Lastly, what is the build of win7 you have there?

• 2 months later...

I'm using full Windows 7 with nvidia GeForce 8700 GT, 4GB Ram, Intel Core 2 Duo T9300 2.50GHz. I'm also having this odd issue. I tried setting the compatibility mode for several versions, but it runs okay (except for the multi-group lag) on 7. Also, setting the 3D graphics didn't seem to help.

I have been trying skirmishes, just to troubleshoot the issue, but i'll try campaign to see if it works there.

Thanks and good luck!

Hi,

I was working on a speedrun for Emperor and halted for a quite long period of time. Then I wanted to finally finish it... so after upgrading to Windows 7. I noticed the issue you are all talking about.

No one has said how it actually looks like. It not only freezes but glitches the interface for a moment. This is what it looks like -

game2009121312094301.jpg

So it is very possible that this is an Nvidia Graphic card issue which happens only on Windows 7. Because I had XP 64bit before with the same video card.

The glitch is very odd after you try to swich the game speeds you sometimes manage to control multiple units up to 100 until the glitch occurs again after selecting another group!

Well I doubt I'll be switching to an ATI card anytime soon so I'll stop the run.

You can read about the run here if you're interested - http://speeddemosarchive.com/forum/index.php/topic,9295.0.html

• 1 month later...

I think it comes more often with scrolling the view. And more often with using mouse to scroll the view.. So better keep mouse cursor more in the middle of the screen and use keyboard to scroll, but I'll have to do more testing if this is the case.

I'm on Win7 64 bit with dual cores (AMD). I've used both an ATI Radeon and an on-board NVIDIA chipset -- both without incident. Try disabling things from your NVIDIA control panel (things like vsync). Also, what settings are you running the game on? Does it happen irrespective of whether it's on High/Low gfx settings?

Changing vertical sync off made the game behave more erratic. Scrolling and rotation speeds were too fast, well scrolling speed was ok if I set it 1. The game crashed more. Resolution change seems to have the most effect. I could play 640*480 and other settings highest without glitching or it happens very rarely and very minimalistically. 1024*768 seems okayish, some glitching, but I didn't get it to get into a complete stop like with 1280*960 and I was constantly scrolling around and having units selected.

I tried running it with ram set at 2 gigs and using just a single core but it still is the same.  I still feel that this is an Nvidia issue somewhere that I havent been able to solve within the Nvidia settings

Had a similar problem with the game speed on dune 2000 with an nvidia gpu, integrated seems to remove the problem.

• 2 weeks later...

Actually in regards to Dune2k I was wondering how you installed it with an 8 bit installer.  I know the program will work if you can find an installer because I had it on another hard drive that it would work through at one time.

Does anyone know how to change your audio acceleration to basic in windows 7?  It used to be in the audio settings way back in XP but since Vista I have not found the slider.

Actually in regards to Dune2k I was wondering how you installed it with an 8 bit installer.  I know the program will work if you can find an installer because I had it on another hard drive that it would work through at one time.

Does anyone know how to change your audio acceleration to basic in windows 7?  It used to be in the audio settings way back in XP but since Vista I have not found the slider.

Its actually a 32/64 bit hybrid installer. Many professional companies use it.

What is the installer called ? And is it publicly avaiable?

It has to be a Nvidia thing as far as Emperor I tried using just one core and 2 megs of ram with the same results.  One question I am wondering is if it is using some form of Open Gl for the graphics.  Windows 7 seems to have big issues with Open Gl, so far I have not been able to run Open Gl on Windows 7 though there is supposed to be a way with OpenGl 3.0