D2TM - DEMO 4 Released!

stefanhendriks

Incidentally...

Wow, how incidental could that be? ;) I can't download the font though?

Exactly, my turrets didn't react when the enemy came within firing range. The same problem occured at the Ordos and Sardaukar base. They have rocket turrets in their base but they didn't fire on my trikes.

Yeah you're right about that it is overall bugged. Their and my turrents and units don't react on eachother.

Well , atleast that saves me some looking into AI files while it is not really AI related.

I did change some code in the newer versions, where the 'default' mode of units is more aggresive. Although this will not solve the bug at all, it does give you a more challanging 'ai' (at the sime time, your own units are also more defensive). I still need to tweak this. But i can see this as a potential new mode where you can set the 'aggresivenes' of their guard mode.

Stefan

this is an amazing remake!

i love it, AI is challenging sometimes. t throws units at you.

only problem is that Troopers are overly charged. Other than that, i didnt look for bugs. only thing that did bother is the unit seleciton.

Both of what i said(troopers and Selections) have been tagged as bugs/changes that need to b made.

Still overall this demo kicks a$$

Congrats!

Thanks! What did bother you about the unit selection? Is it perhaps the need to cover the entire unit? I have fixed this to only cover half of the unit at least, so a newer version should have this fixed. (Perhaps you mean something different, if so, please enlight me).

The troopers have been moderated down. But if you dare ;)... you could also do that yourself. Go to the GAME.INI file, open it with NOTEPAD (you can find the GAME.INI file in your d2tm directory). Then find 'TROOPERS'. And set their firepower a bit lower...

While I was looking if I could find the cause of the crash bug, I noticed how hard it is to read the log files. So I made al little tool to ease the pain a little :P

You can find it in the repository, in the tools/LogViewer/dist directory. Just copy the JAR file to your D2TM directory, open it, and it will parse the logfile in that directory.

Here is a screenshot of the program in action:

http://www.xyzw.nl/logviewer.png

It's just a simple program, but it's a bit easier to look at the logfiles this way.

Actually, this is quite useful!

I see possibilities, where you can 'filter' for a specific house, or team.

We should talk about a specific format the log should have, so your tool could handle the log files easier and make it more transparant. Using such a tool you're creating it should be easy to find specific behavior for some units or whatnot. (and yes, there should be a lot more useful logging as well).

I'll create another thread about this. Lets continue our conversation there.

Thread about logging created here: http://forum.dune2k.com/index.php?topic=21850.0

Thanks! What did bother you about the unit selection? Is it perhaps the need to cover the entire unit? I have fixed this to only cover half of the unit at least, so a newer version should have this fixed. (Perhaps you mean something different, if so, please enlight me).

The troopers have been moderated down. But if you dare ;)... you could also do that yourself. Go to the GAME.INI file, open it with NOTEPAD (you can find the GAME.INI file in your d2tm directory). Then find 'TROOPERS'. And set their firepower a bit lower...

Yes! it was the unit selection  and the fact that we had to cover the entire unit.

And I'll have a quick look at the Game.INI thanks for the info!

• 6 months later...

I like it. So far just played through a few missions. It seems faster than Dune2, in terms of how fast everything gets destroyed. The enemy also makes nicer attacks. It's almost constantly sending in some troops & vechicles. At the start it might be a bit too much if I've not had time to build enough army myself, but later on their attacks become quite easy. Looking forward to see updates on this project :)

• 7 months later...
  • 5 months later...

I'm liking this project a lot! Brings back some of my childhood memories. :)

I tried to read into the project ethics, is this going to focus on 'just' being as close to the the vanilla version of the game as possible,

or will there be 'enhancements' made as well?

For instance i would love to see the game support higher screen resolutions (640x480 is really unplayable for me these days).

It makes the scrolling functionality (as well as the mouse movement) go crazy too (because native res in the OS is a lot higher).

I also like the skirmish mode a lot! It would be awesome if the player was able to save skirmish games too.

Should you add higher resolutions in the future it would be very nice if the viewable terrain ratio could be shifted accordingly

(in vanilla 640x480 the terrain one can see on the entire screen is just too small to make an RTS game work right, imo).

Are there plans for adding TCP/IP support for network games in the future?

Right now mouse/scroll movement + viewable terrain ratio are the biggest no no's for not playing this game every day. :)

If you ever finish up, i would gladly donate! Keep up the great work. :)

- Just my 2 cents.

I'm liking this project a lot! Brings back some of my childhood memories. :)

I tried to read into the project ethics, is this going to focus on 'just' being as close to the the vanilla version of the game as possible,

or will there be 'enhancements' made as well?

Dune 2 The Maker aims to be a mix:

- It allows you to replay the campaign of the original

- It allows you to play skirmish

- It contains enhanced graphics and controls

- It definately should contain more enhancements than just the gfx ;)

For instance i would love to see the game support higher screen resolutions (640x480 is really unplayable for me these days).

It makes the scrolling functionality (as well as the mouse movement) go crazy too (because native res in the OS is a lot higher)

The new version supports multiple resolutions. The website contains an unstable version that has higher res support. I would not recommend it to download that version, because the resolution detection code has been improved greatly. However, that version is still only in code, not yet released. Theoretically it should support any resolution. But going under 640x480 will make it unplayable (due limits in the GUI)

I also like the skirmish mode a lot! It would be awesome if the player was able to save skirmish games too.

I hear you, many people would like to save/load games. Still haven't worked on that.

Should you add higher resolutions in the future it would be very nice if the viewable terrain ratio could be shifted accordingly

(in vanilla 640x480 the terrain one can see on the entire screen is just too small to make an RTS game work right, imo).

Well, it would look very nice with super enhanced gfx on a resolution of 1280x1024, or even higher. But then you'd need the nice gfx candy.

Are there plans for adding TCP/IP support for network games in the future?

Plans ? Yes! But to be honest I do not have experience in writing network code. So it could take a while. In fact, I'd like to have the game engine refactored so that it would be easier to add such features.

Right now mouse/scroll movement + viewable terrain ratio are the biggest no no's for not playing this game every day. :)

If you ever finish up, i would gladly donate! Keep up the great work. :)

- Just my 2 cents.

Thanks for sharing your experiences. Hmm, I should put up a donate button huh? ;)