Multimedia operating system

Anyone use or try any multimedia operating systems?

I've heard of people using mythbuntu (mythtv, for PVR/tv), XBMC (multimedia), or Boxee (internet streaming).

I'm currently downloading XBMC 9.04.1 live image (340mb) to test, just to see what it is like.

It appears most are open source which is good.

Anyone think this is the future? You have your multimedia PC setup and hooked up to tv, it has all your music/tv shows/movies, all quickly available. Or you can input your DVD into computer and it will show up in multimedia OS and you can then watch it from there.

I did use something similar myself.

Used a Windows Vista pre-release together with my XboX360 to stream content to my TV. Was fun for a while. I just stopped using it after a couple of months.

Currently I'm looking for a (good / Open Source / freeware) application to convert DVD's to MP4's. No luck yet...

I did use something similar myself.

Used a Windows Vista pre-release together with my XboX360 to stream content to my TV. Was fun for a while. I just stopped using it after a couple of months.

Currently I'm looking for a (good / Open Source / freeware) application to convert DVD's to MP4's. No luck yet...

What about VirtualDub?

As a coincidence I just started using HandBrake. Seems like it actually works with a few clicks and without downloading any additional codex / applocation.

Although at roughly two hours encoding per DVD I'm gonna misuse one of the servers or hire a monkey to convert all my DVDs :P

As a coincidence I just started using HandBrake. Seems like it actually works with a few clicks and without downloading any additional codex / applocation.

Although at roughly two hours encoding per DVD I'm gonna misuse one of the servers or hire a monkey to convert all my DVDs :P

I was going to recommend handbrake. It works really good.  I just ripped a DVD a couple days ago on ubuntu using it. Took 2 hours (at first it was like 1 hour, but that was only for 1st pass!). Great having DVD quality file only be 1gb, and handbrake is very easy to use. Would be great to rip all DVDs you own, and put on multimedia computer. Then can watch anything anytime. No need to find the discs. Also would make decent backup in case disc gets damaged. I also used it to put my video material on video mp3 player. Good way to waste time if waiting for something, watch a movie. At ~1.2gb each movie, you can fit a couple on a 4gb mp3 player. my sansa view I have youtube music videos, dvd rip, mp3 etc. Lots of stuff to play with. And view has microsd slot, so when I get an 8gb microsd soon, more stuff!

I'm not sure how the queue works on handbrake. Either way you'd still have to remove/insert each DVD manually. I guess rip one each night before bed.

I tested XBMC, it didn't work fully in virtualbox (didn't get to desktop), but the livecd worked fine. Looked really polished and easy to use.

Any chance you found the link in software guide thread? :D

In fact it answers your exact question in the description I put.

HandBrake - Opensource DVD -> MPEG-4 video converter :P

EDIT:

Tested XBMC for several more minutes. This time I put two movies on usb stick. Loaded XBMC livecd, and watched movies on usb stick. They worked fine.

EDIT2:

Put more movies and music on usb stick. XBMC worked great. Now I want to buy a multimedia PC. I wonder how well XBMC would work on eee box. I know it can't play 1080p, and barely play 720p. But could work great for dvd rips (480p). But I'd still be worried about intel GMA 945. They really need to upgrade to GMA965 for bare minimum.