Dune news 09/06/09

Dunenewt

Do you want to see Robert Pattinson in Dune?  

8 members have voted

1. 1. Do you want to see Robert Pattinson in Dune?

• Yes!
    • Yes, but not as Paul
    • Don't mind.
    • No.
    • Never heard of him.

According to this blog as WarnerBros.com, Robert Pattinson - who starred in the film Twilight - is being linked to the new Dune movie directed by Peter Berg.  To me he looks slightly too old to be Paul, but I can't really see who else he would be, and he does have an army of fans who would no doubt watch the film if he was in it.

Kevin J Anderson has recently been interviewed on the Tor website (who publish his books in the US), which frequently mentions Frank Herbert and the Duniverse.  A certain member of this site is also referenced to within the interview, it wont take much guessing to work out who!

For example, for Paul of Dune, one guy posted attacking comments to 40 out of 42 five-star reviews on amazon, the same guy attacked 24 out of 24 four-star reviews, the same guy runs a hate site, and the *same guy* maintains a Twitter feed devoted solely to bashing our stuff. And when somebody posts with great vehemence how much they hated book after book after book, how can you take them seriously? Anyone who keeps reading the novels for the sole purpose of attacking them just has an axe to grind and is clearly biased.

Its an interesting interview so check it out, although for those who do follow KJA's Twitter, you will notice that KJA does defend Frank Herbert's honour, for example pointing out to someone recently, that Children of Dune was the first novel marked as Sci Fi to reach the New York Times bestseller list in response to a claim of their own.

A certain member of this site is also referenced to within the interview, it wont take much guessing to work out who!

Hmm... I'm gona guess... Sandchigger!  Am I right?

As for Pattinson, I can't see them considering him for any other role than Paul.  The only other young male character is Feyd, and a guy who's currently the lead in a huge blockbuster series isn't gonna play a bit part as a 2nd tier heavey.  He'd play the lead as the dashing teenage hero.  Not being a teenage girl I've never seen him in anything, so I've no opinion on the guy, although the little I have seen of him in pictures and tv commercials does not make me picture him as a messiah.  Not that blog posts mean anything.  Remember when Matt Damon was rumoured to be the new James T. Kirk?

Too bad the interviewer didn't ask why they put out a new dune book every year, while his father only put one out every couple years, and putting out other scifi novels in between.

Maybe we should hold a contest as to what type of Dune book they will put out once Paul of dune and the other two are put out (current trilogy in production)?

Person closest to actual result wins a prize?  8)

Hmm... I'm gona guess... Sandchigger!  Am I right?

As for Pattinson, I can't see them considering him for any other role than Paul.  The only other young male character is Feyd, and a guy who's currently the lead in a huge blockbuster series isn't gonna play a bit part as a 2nd tier heavey.  He'd play the lead as the dashing teenage hero.  Not being a teenage girl I've never seen him in anything, so I've no opinion on the guy, although the little I have seen of him in pictures and tv commercials does not make me picture him as a messiah.  Not that blog posts mean anything.  Remember when Matt Damon was rumoured to be the new James T. Kirk?

Yeah it was 'Chigger.

His role in the Twilight series is precisely why I can see him not playing Paul, and playing Feyd instead, because I doubt he'd want to be a lead character in two separate series.  Feyd is a brilliant character who can have quite a large part in the film if they do it right.

But with him being feyd wouldn't it turn all his teen fans into evil people? an evil role model?

Could be a career killer, or a new cool look.

I havn't seen twilight, but all the blogs and crap talk about it and the actors.

All I know is that the vampires sparkle in sunlight or something...

when somebody posts with great vehemence how much they hated book after book after book, how can you take them seriously? Anyone who keeps reading the novels for the sole purpose of attacking them just has an axe to grind and is clearly biased.

ooooo burn. You have to admit, he's right. Take him seriously, because he's one of the good people who keep 'writing' books that essentially attack the dignity of the originals. Clearly, they are not bias and are probably not just doing it for money.

• 2 weeks later...

Ah ... my few seconds of fame! :D

For him to take time out from his important interview (It is rather more of a cyber-suckfest than a proper interview, no?), I mean, time that he could be talking about himself ... to rant about me, well ... I guess he must be taking me somewhat seriously, no? ;)