Dune 2000 Vista 64

Dampkring

• 2 weeks later...

Is it not easier to install it on another PC and then copy & paste the complete Dune 2000 folder in Program Files (x86)?

I will try this...

Edit:

So, actually it works, there is only one problem, the CD is not recognized when you are in the game menu.

I'll try to fix this problem with regedit

• 2 weeks later...

Actually, you don't need to use Reg Edit.

All you need to do is copy the mission and movie files into the Dune 2000 folder on your hard drive, after you have installed Dune 2000 and copied it to your x64.

This is effectively a no-cd patch, but only works if you have a working copy of Dune 2000.

Root folder = C:WestwoodDune2000

If your root folder is different, compensate it for where ever you have installed Dune 2000, for example, P:GamesWestwoodDune2000

Like it is on my computer for most of my games.

Now, look for the "Resource.cfg" file and open it in notepad.

Notice how in default, it's like this;

data
D:movies
C:WestwoodDune2000datamusic
D:missions
datamaps

D may change to whatever CD-ROM drive you used to install it from.

Now, the movies and missions folders on the CD, copy them to your Dune2000 folder like this

C:WestwoodDune2000Movies

C:WestwoodDune2000Missions

That's not the last of what you need to do.

Re-open the resource.cfg file in notepad and change the data entries to reflect the following

data
C:WestwoodDune2000movies
C:WestwoodDune2000missions
datamaps

That should now allow you to run Dune2000 on your x64 bit computer. I know it works, as I've tried it on my i7 x64 Home Premium, and it works a charm. Just make sure you install the patch BEFORE copying over from one computer to the other.

You can even use network locations to run the game from. As long as the resource.cfg is pointing to the right place, you can run the game from anywhere, even off a CD, using little space on your computer. This isn't verified, the running off disc, but, I can verify it to see if it works. Give me two or three days.

• 2 years later...

Kumori, rather than using:

data
C:WestwoodDune2000movies
C:WestwoodDune2000missions
datamaps

You can use relative paths by using:

data
movies
datamusic
missions
datamaps

Using relative paths, it doesn't matter where the game is installed to.

Copy MOVIES and MISSIONS from the Dune 2000 CD to the game's installation directory (C:WestwoodDune2000 by default), change the RESOURCE.CFG as shown above and voila. The game will also be tricked to not need a disc this way.

I've uploaded a file with a pre-modified Resource.CFG to help out too :)

Dune2000Fix.zip

• Upvote 1

• 2 months later...

I just tried to do this, but it doesn't work for me. I copied the movies and missions folders from the CD to my Dune 2000 folder on my x64 PC. But inside the game he still wants to have the CD... What could be the problem here?

• 2 weeks later...