AA Mines, how to use and how not to

Chaos_Storm

I know many people don't like using AA mines. I know that if all 5 missiles from a single AA mine hit, they can kill anything except a Gunship (and maybe a Carryall). I also know that sometimes none of the 5 missiles from an AA mine hit. What is the secret to using these controversial units ??? ? They are the cheapest Anti-Air Flying Unit out of the 3 houses (AA mine: $600, Air Drone: $800, ADP: $1500) but they self-destruct so are not reuseable.

I have had only 2 good experiences of using AA minefields. One was when Gunships were attacking my Con Yard. I moved a group of AA mines towards them and as soon as they finished moving, they all detonated together  :) (my Con Yard didn't survive as I had it walled off and my Engineer couldn't get to it! :'( ). The other good time was when I lined up some AA mines between an enemy spice field and his base. The Carryalls got a nasty shock there! 8)

How do you use AA mines effectively (please don't post to say: "I don't use them")? Is it better to place them in 2's or alone and how far apart should they be? Is there an effective upper limit to AA minefield sizes? Where should they be placed? etc...

Whereas normally, you would place your defending forces perpenicular to the direction of oncoming 'traffic', AA mines must be *either* placed over a wide area to be effective, *or* placed in a line parrallel to the line of approach (ie queuing up to function). Be aware that they need defending like this.

Judging by the number of replies, I guess no-one really uses AA mines much. I've discovered a few things about them though:

AA mines need to blow up at just the right range. Too close, and the AA missiles will detonate as soon as they get armed (after being released in a pentagon pattern). It also appears that they don't detonate whilst they are moving between Markers - normal units (on guard mode) attack-move (Starcraft term: automatically responding to enemy presence whilst moving) whilst following Markers. This means the AA mines must be given special attention in order to be effective. They are the cheapest AA aircraft out of the 3 Houses yet they pack the biggest punch in a short space of time as well. A Perfect Strike means death to a Carryall or an Advanced Carryall (or just about any aircraft except a Gunship at full health) with a single AA mine.

I've found that placing several Marker paths leading from my Primary Hangar to different points (not too close) on enemy spice fields or Carryall paths is an effective way of sending AA mines. They now act like 'fire and forget' missiles - you can take your attention off them with the knowledge that some (not all) will do their job of wreaking enemy income. Make sure there are no enemy AA in these paths. Another advantage of the AA mine over the Air Drone and the ADP is that they don't leave any evidence except the message 'Carryall under attack'. Your enemy can immediately jump to the origin of the warning and see Air Drones, ADPs certainly, but AA mines will have already detonated (provided you didn't send too many). If used correctly in an FFA, this could prove most annoying as they won't know which Ordos hit them, if they realise this is the work of AA mines in the first place. But as they are so infrequently used aggressively, will the enemy realise this? What if you leave some APCs and AA troopers near (not at, unless you ensure they don't fire and trigger the alarm) the 'crime scene' to take the blame?

• 4 weeks later...

AA mines are carppy, they're not as effective as everyone says according to my experience.

To destroy either advance carryall or just carryall, you'll need 2 AAminesinstead of one like how everyone said, and as far as I know, youcould virtually destroy nothing with only one AAmine.

yes i would have to say they are a horrible weopan unless any of u can prove me wrong look im not an idiot i protect my spice if im ord ill have aa if im hark ill make rockets and in a game u wont even touch my spice its defended too well and if u trie to do that ill just take my gun ship and blow the beep out of u and for ur enginers ill make shure u dont have any wit fremen snipers sneak in ur base and kill all ur freakin engies  

(and like i say u cant beat this)

yes i would have to say they are a horrible weopan unless any of u can prove me wrong look im not an idiot i protect my spice if im ord ill have aa if im hark ill make rockets and in a game u wont even touch my spice its defended too well and if u trie to do that ill just take my gun ship and blow the beep out of u and for ur enginers ill make shure u dont have any wit fremen snipers sneak in ur base and kill all ur freakin engies

You can't sneak fremen warriors into a base that has scouts at its entrances. Even without scouts, most players jam their entrances with so many units that it is impossible to sneak in by land. By air is another matter, especially with an Atreides APC under an Advanced Carryall, provided an AA free zone is found and you go in unnoticed (perhaps a distraction is ideal?).

Even with spice fields guarded, the AA mine can still do damage. It is only when spice routes are also guarded that AA mines would have to find a different purpose (e.g. base defence and air force build up prevention). Carryalls need to travel from a refinery to a spice patch. Are they protected there? Alternately, too heavily defended enemy spice fields are to your advantage as they attract worms (natural and ridden) and Chaos Lightning storms (if permitted by host).

• 3 weeks later...

Back to the regular topic, if u have more than one mine, and u get attacked by air, the closest unit attacking will be destroyed with a number of ur mines.  Wasting them horribly, letting the enemy air units in,etc. :P

Also note are slow - both in moving and firing. AA mines do massive damage very quickly at the cost of self-destruction. AA mines are air units so don't need to worry about terrain or worms.

True it's unwise to have a bunch of AA mines sitting around doing nothing as a suicide aircraft will take them all down with it. A few AA mines can boost your air defences though.

• 2 weeks later...