Swine Flu

Andrew

Apparently, only 25% of the population bothers to get vaccinated against the flu. I have never been vaccinated for the flu nor have I ever had it in my adult years.  I've already declined making an appointment to receive the H1N1 vaccination for me or my family. I was just curious to see what the consensus was around here.

• 2 weeks later...

They really need to come up with a more catchy name.

The Black Flu?

The Coughing Death?

The Doombringer Pestilence?

On the topic of vaccines and getting the (normal) flu in the past, I'm fairly certain I had the flu many times before. I get severe colds (or the flu; I never really know) about once every year or so. I even had flu-like symptoms about two months ago, which was very strange, being in the summer like that...

Wait a minute...

Maybe that was swine flu!?

I'M ALREADY DEAD!

God, I can hardly stand hearing this anymore. Even after the Swine Flu "Fad" supposedly died months ago, people are still bitching about it at school. Not as bad as before summer break, though. Well, a few events in particular.

1, There was this one guy who came to school wearing a surgical mask for about a week, and I think he was being serious. For the record, he was a complete arsewipe, and looked strangely like a 4th grader misplaced into High School through some bureaucratic error or another.

2, my BCIS Teacher (Business Computer Info. System) completely freaked out a few days after the "Epidemic of the deadly virus", and us students, apparently being as cheap shit labor can get, were instructed to wipe down our computers (and most of the classroom) with Antibiotics. Hilarious, considering H1N1 is a Virus, and therefore unaffected by 'em!

Sound like a bunch of nutjobs like something out of a movie.

I remember seeing an Avian Flu horror movie preview somewhere... I just have to find it again. Maybe someone posted the link on this site, or was it NS? I don't remember.

I think the media is starting to go crazy.

Swine Flu worsens in U.S. as child deaths rise to 102

Swine flu on upswing on Ontario, top doctor says

US swine flu deaths surpass 1,000

One Edmonton school has 30% students absent.

Looks like next couple weeks should be fun as it spreads more.

US has vaccine shortages. Lots of people lining up. 194 schools in Michigan are shut down.

Private media just do whatever is most profitable. They don't care if they're spreading panic and BS and ignoring important news stories for trivial rubbish.

I wonder if private media hasn't become nigh useless. Since I don't bother with the news very often I can't really say.

Private media just do whatever is most profitable. They don't care if they're spreading panic and BS and ignoring important news stories for trivial rubbish.

I wonder if private media hasn't become nigh useless. Since I don't bother with the news very often I can't really say.

Not necessarily, they certainly do care about spreading bullshit and rubbish. Thing is, said bullshit/rubbish is more profitable, and so they care about it by utilizing it to its fullest extent.

A young girl from Stormont, Dundas & Glengarry seems to have died of the H1N1 virus on Saturday despite not having any other health problems, according to the area’s medical officer of health.

Her death comes at a time when 26 schools in the EOHU’s catchment area, which also includes the United Counties of Prescott-Russell, have been hit with an H1N1 outbreak.

According to Roumeliotis, an outbreak is declared when more than 10% of the students are absent with flu symptoms. A random sample of the students are contacted and tested for the seasonal and H1N1 flu.

People in Canada are waiting hours in line to get vaccinated. In my city people were in line 2 hours early. Looks like people on facebook with young kids are panicking a bit needing info on whether to get it or not.

Some doctors are saying not to get it, the vaccine came out early, not enough testing, and others saying to get it. It's a big mess. So I'm definitely staying away from it for now. Maybe get immunized later when the panic settles down.

EDIT:

Once school in my province has more than 10% absenteeism. It's here. :(

That's my county.  My girlfriends parents and sister, all of whom are in the medical field and have never once gotten the flu shot are getting this.  I'm not.  I'll take my chances with the flu over an untested vaccine whosemakers have no legal liability of something happens.

Front page of cbc news:

H1N1 confirmed in Toronto teen's death

13 year old who played hockey died from swine flu. Looks like the child deaths are starting to mount. Although statistically irrelevant (2 kids in Canada died from flu in a couple days), it will play out big in the news.

Evan went from having minor cold symptoms to dying within 48 hours, his father said.

That is scary.