Frank Herbert estate shuts down Dune in Second Life

Andrew

Enforcers of Dune: Frank Herbert Estate Targets Dune Roleplayers In Second Life

So around 130 fans spent time in a dune environment, we're enjoying themselves, promoting Dune, and of course the lawyers arrive and take it away.

6a00d8341bf74053ef01156f1685f1970c-500wi.jpg

The place removed any references to dune (words like Atreides etc), but kept images etc. So if someone who knows nothing about Dune, they will have no idea where this environment came from, so that makes it impossible for them to purchase any Dune media, because they have no idea it is Dune, because any references had to be removed.

• 2 months later...

It clearly betrays insecurity. But why?

They must have enough money really. And this, if anything, would have been good for them.

It indicates to me a different type of evil to petty monetary greed.

I've been distantly aware of the misdeeds of BH/KJA for some time, but today I read for the first time the decidedly witless term 'talifan'.

The mind that created such a word, and the mind that thought it appropriate and amusing to use, can only be very narrow, very small and very vulgar.

It betrays a lack of respect for the people it is used on, and a lack of respect for anyone involved in Afghanistan. It betrays a lack of maturity and understanding of politics, and sensitivity toward religion.

It is the name-calling rebuke of a schoolchild.

I feel that Frank Herbert, a beautiful human being, would have been utterly disgusted.

With this unneccesary and intollerant censorship it is they who could learn a little of what NOT to do from authoritarian institutions such as the taliban.

Bitter irony!

KJA blog

"Disappointing news, but not surprising. Brian and I are aware of a small group of fans like that, particularly congregating on a few discussion boards. My friend, artist Bob Eggleton (who painted the cover for my novel THE MARTIAN WAR) calls them the "Talifan.""

The mind that created such a word, and the mind that thought it appropriate and amusing to use, can only be very narrow, very small and very vulgar.

It betrays a lack of respect for the people it is used on, and a lack of respect for anyone involved in Afghanistan. It betrays a lack of maturity and understanding of politics, and sensitivity toward religion.

It is the name-calling rebuke of a schoolchild.

It appears that lack of respect towards anyone but himself is very characteristic of KJA. Just take, for example, this lovely instance of working ethics. I wonder if KJA even knows such a word, respect :P