Asus Eee Box [Nettops]

Put my new 60gb vertex into Eeebox tonight. Seems it is limited to SATAI speeds. I installed Ubuntu 10.10 alpha 2. Some things seem faster, such as boot time, and firefox usage.

Here's the benchmark:

screenshot64gbsolidstat.th.png

Average read rate of 122mb/s

0.2 access time

The old 160gb hdd got 64.3mb/s fastest speed. So SSD is twice as fast.

The eeebox is too old to get the most out of SSD, so I wouldn't recommend putting it in 2009 netbook that uses n270 processor and GMA950 graphics. At least not until prices drop in 1/2 (good 60gb for <=$100)

As far as I know, the newer nettops allow sataII, at least I havn't seen anyone complaining about speeds when they put SSD in it.

Put my new 60gb vertex into Eeebox tonight. Seems it is limited to SATAI speeds. I installed Ubuntu 10.10 alpha 2. Some things seem faster, such as boot time, and firefox usage.

Here's the benchmark:

screenshot64gbsolidstat.th.png

Average read rate of 122mb/s

0.2 access time

The old 160gb hdd got 64.3mb/s fastest speed. So SSD is twice as fast.

The eeebox is too old to get the most out of SSD, so I wouldn't recommend putting it in 2009 netbook that uses n270 processor and GMA950 graphics. At least not until prices drop in 1/2 (good 60gb for <=$100)

As far as I know, the newer nettops allow sataII, at least I havn't seen anyone complaining about speeds when they put SSD in it.

Its most likely because its not necessary for a netop, although im sure enthusiasts who happen to have a nettop want one.

• 1 month later...

Today my nettop started going into sleep mode (or maybe suspend/hibernate, I'm not sure on correct definition).

I'll start nettop, everything seems fine, boots into ubuntu 10.04.1, then it will go into sleep mode. power light is flashing. I click on power button to bring out of sleep mode, ubuntu greets me with login screen, but then it will go back into sleep mode within couple seconds, seems random. Sometimes I can make it back into normal ubuntu desktop (maybe 2 seconds at most), then sleep. Or when at login screen, it goes back to sleep.

I updated firmware, no effect. I've tried different plug outlets thinking a power failure/problem with my power bar or plug outlet. Doesn't help (although when I first switch plug outlets in wall it seemed to work, but since then same problem even in same plug outlet).

Not sure what problem is. I've read some posts and people have similar problem, but their problem is they can not even get nettop to BIOS screen. I can go into BIOS and have it sit there with no power off problems.

I tried liveusb of 10.04.1, and same problem so shouldn't be a SSD problem. So now I'm hoping a 10.04.1 problem, even though it has been working fine for a week (I had to abandon 10.10 alphas due to instability in OS). I'm downloading todays ubuntu 10.10 dailylive image. If I have same sleep problem on liveusb, then I guess I should try different linux OS, and after that I'm going to assume definite hardware problem.

Sadly, not worth RMAing, although if a RAM problem I could fix that. Guess I should run ramtest to see if it shows any errors. (running now, so far no errors)

I've already got the 160gb HDD that came with it in external 2.5" case for portable storage. I think it has 1x1gb ram (according to ramtest), which if not faulty could be used in lots of other older laptops. So if motherboard/power failure, at least I should be able to salvage some parts from it. Future Shop had 4gb acer revo on for $370 couple days ago, and I have newegg 4gb nettop build in basket for $400, so can get a replacement nettop that will be 3 times faster than what I got. Was hoping this nettop would last 2 years at least. I've been looking into nettop for myself, but wanting to wait until fall for better prices, and cooler weather so it doesn't heat up any.

Nettop at newegg I'm interested in:

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16856107072

2x2gb ram I would get (debatable depends on cheapest 2x2gb ram at time of purchase).

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820104026

I would put my 60gb ssd into it from current nettop. I'm pretty sure the dual core nettops have SATAII, and thus my SSD would get full 250mb/s speed.

Sadly that nettop model is new, and only at newegg, so price is a bit high, but using newer intel atom processor. Can't find reviews for the product either (other than newegg).

If BIOS and ramtest from 10.04.1 liveusb works with no power failure/sleep, then hopefully just 10.04.1 problem with my hardware. Or some bug/crash that happened and is putting it in a sleep loop. In BIOS it has options for sleep mode. S3, something else and auto. I have on auto I think, and I never changed it before so doubt that is problem, but maybe avert it or prevent from going to sleep?

EDIT:

Also sad is that newegg had barebones atom330+ion +2gb ram nettop for $180 several days ago. Argh, of course mine has to break down after a good sale available.

Attached 4 second video of text that appears when it goes into sleep mode. This was in 10.10 daily. ramtest had no problems.

One problem I've noticed with the nettop in past couple weeks (problems with 10.10 install) was that sometimes the sound would mute and internet disconnect. So possibly a bad wire somewhere cutting power to something on motherboard? Then this causes it to go to sleep? Although the sleep problem was not present in 10.10 install. And 10.04.1 was working fine as far as I know for past several days.

Another symptom is that when it is happening lots, I notice the screen go black for less than an second, but back to normal, then about 4 seconds later I get the text error and it goes to sleep. So I would assume power failure if screen goes almost black, as if it is very quickly dimming (not monitor dimming, but screen output). I don't think it is normal ubuntu dimming when shutting down etc, it is too fast for that.

EDIT:

Still no solution, so I've hooked up my slow but trustworthy 8 year old pentium 4. I attached power meter to monitor watts. Just the tower+mouse+keyboard+wirelessusb (just power cord from tower plugged into it), it used 100 watts at peak, and 60 watts idle. 3 watts when not turned on.

So if nettop has unfixable hardware issue, looks like I'll be using the pentium 4 until a sale on another nettop. Sadly this week two sales went by on nettops, so it could be a week or two for another good sale.

EDIT:

Good news! I installed 10.04.1 onto pentium 4, everything was fine, left on for 1 hour. I installed new kernel, restarted, and upon restarting it went into sleep mode!

So I'm guessing this is some sort of kernel problem/error.

Time to use different distro!

EDIT:

changed keyboard/mouse, and now working ok. So slowy going to add new devices one each day and see which device causes computer to go into sleep mode. I'm guessing it was the 8 year old keyboard.

MOV01372.AVI.zip

• 7 months later...

Nettops have come a long way since my first post in this thread.

New nettops based upon new AMD chip E-350 (also new chips for netbooks that make them much better).

ZOTAC ZBOX AD02 - example of new nettops. can have 8gb ddr3, SATA6.0, usb3, esata and many other features that make nettops 'good enough' for basic tasks such as web browsing and HTPC. Put one behind a tv to use for netflix or other web based streaming, and should work fine. Attach 1tb hdd via esata if needing storage. Or small 2.5" enclosure if wanting space saving and only usb cord to power.

• 7 months later...

Bought myself another nettop today (ordered online).

ZOTAC ZBOX AD02 PLUS

I was wanting the barebones version, but since it would cost $240, and the 2gb+250gb cost $280, the $40 difference meant getting more expensive version (250gb hdd sell for $110 currently, not that I was wanting that). I also bought 1x4gb ram to add to the 2gb.

e-350 processor, specs in link. Plan on using it for web browsing and video playback. Once I get a new tv will hook it up to that. Trying to get parents hooked on watching videos (tv shows etc) on it so we can cancel satellite (which is crazy expensive).

Once I get new SSD, I'll put one of my 60gb vertex1 into nettop.

My old nettop I'll probably keep as is for now until new one up and running and get print server and LAN connection with main computer.

Black friday/cyber monday deals didn't really have anything I wanted. Guess my main computer and available accessories are enough to hold me over for now.

Next on my list is 120gb SSD.