dune II error?

okeee

I used to play dune II battle of arrakis on win xp, without problems. But recently for some reason it doesnt start up anymore. No error message, it just doesnt start. I tried another version of the game, dune II building of a dynasty, but same thing happens. Why? I didn't update windows or anything.

It won't be there until you play the game at least once. The file generated by SETUP.EXE is called DUNE.CFG. Do you have such file in your Dune 2 folder? If yes, does the game start properly?

You can try doing the following thing: do into DOS prompt or DOSBox and run DUNE2.EXE. If it does not start properly, an error message might appear (in Windows, the DOS program window is usually closed immediately so you can't read such a message). If there is an error message, post it here.

yes there is a file called dune.cfg, but the game does not start up properly. I tried running in DOS, then nothing happens as well, no error message, but a black screen appears for a while, then return to DOS. I'll try dosbox.

Did you answer Yes to the question about the usage of extended memory? Try configuring the game with no sound and no extended memory, and see what happens ('cause sometimes under Windows using extended memory may cause problems).

In DOSBox, everything should run fine. I suggest you set CPU cycles to "max" for faster performance, and use Sound Blaster Pro (sbpro2), as it seems (to me) to have better sound.