Dune 2 v1.07 Fix

MrFlibble

how difficult would it be to revert the voiceover, the animated logo during the intro and the title screen to "Building of a Dynasty"?

Not difficult at all, as the subtitle text (unlike the animated "DUNE II" logo) is read from the INTRO.ENG text string table file (inside ENGLISH.PAK).

and, btw, mrflibble, you CAN do that without editing any .pak files - the voc files are read from the game folder ;)

Did I ever say otherwise? Yet with the files inside ENGLISH.PAK don't behave as nicely (except in the EU version) because of the "Load into XMS" parameter. IIRC, the game loads DUNE.ENG first from the folder, then from ENGLISH.PAK, but as for INTRO.ENG, I think simply placing an edited version into the game folder won't work. Doesn't apply to the EU version though, as mentioned above.

• 2 weeks later...

Cool. Managed to restore the voiceover, and the subtitle for the animated logo, but I can't find the string for the main menu logo. I'm assuming it's in TITLE.ENG, but SSTE gives errors (specifically a "Stream Read Error") when I try to open it to see. Any suggestions on how I can fix that, or alternative string table editors?

Cool. Managed to restore the voiceover, and the subtitle for the animated logo, but I can't find the string for the main menu logo. I'm assuming it's in TITLE.ENG, but SSTE gives errors (specifically a "Stream Read Error") when I try to open it to see. Any suggestions on how I can fix that, or alternative string table editors?

TITLE.ENG is not a string table file, it's an unpaletted CPS image (you can view it in XCC Mixer). All files that are swapped when the language option is changed have the *.ENG/GER/FRE extension, regardless of the original format of each file. You can either get the US version of TITLE.ENG, which says "The Building of A Dynasty", or (more tediously) edit it yourself (e.g. get a screenshot of the logo with the correct subtitle from the intro, then convert this image into CPS with either Red Horizon tools or XCC Mixer).

Cool. I intend to make it a full mod, so I figure I should ask: would you mind if I created variations for people using your mod? They modify the same files...

What I intend is an option structure like this:

HS release

HS release + MrFlibble's fix

EU release

EU release + MrFlibble's fix

Cool. I intend to make it a full mod, so I figure I should ask: would you mind if I created variations for people using your mod? They modify the same files...

What I intend is an option structure like this:

HS release

HS release + MrFlibble's fix

EU release

EU release + MrFlibble's fix

Am I right that the mod just changes the title back from "The Battle for Arrakis" to "The Building of A Dynasty"? At any rate, you're free to use the fix in other modifications, of course :)

Am I right that the mod just changes the title back from "The Battle for Arrakis" to "The Building of A Dynasty"? At any rate, you're free to use the fix in other modifications, of course :)

Yup. Reverts the subtitle on the animated logo during the intro, and the main menu, and restores the voiceover. Minor, but I've always preferred the ring of "Building of a Dynasty" to "Battle for Arrakis"...

Where can I upload the finished mod? is moddb good, or would you suggest somewhere else?

I suppose it would be quite cool if you uploaded it on ModDB :)

Well, I added the moddb profile for Dune II and one for my mod. 8)

Now let's hope they approve it, and maybe we can get some of the other mods uploaded there as well... :D

In the meantime, I'll attach it here for anyone who wants to try it out, and maybe comment on it (If you think it should rather be in its own thread, just say the word and I'll move it)...

Dune II - Subtitle Restoration Patch.zip

EDIT: Well, they've approved it. Here's the link to the Dune II page, and here's the link to my mod's page.

• Upvote 1

Could you add a version that restores the voice overs without replacing the title screen, and adds the files to make it actually say "The battle for Arrakis"?

The .voc files are here:

http://nyerguds.arsa...arrakis_voc.zip

Sure, I'll give it a bash.

Should be as simple as rePAKing the file containing the .voc's, since the edited Dune2.exe is the same.

Sure, I'll give it a bash.

Should be as simple as rePAKing the file containing the .voc's, since the edited Dune2.exe is the same.

AFAIK you can just put them into the game directory, INTROVOC.PAK is not pre-loaded into XMS and thus the game first looks for the files in its root directory, then searches inside the PAK file (unless there are weird exceptions, as I remember that INTROVOC.PAK has one or two oddities in this respect, but those should not affect the "read from the root directory first" rule).

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 years later...
On 7/6/2019 at 12:51 PM, UnicornGraveyard said:

Why were the Frigate and Sardaukar removed from the Mentat unit overview anyway? Any reason not to restore them, or is that not possible?

I can only guess why these entries were removed, but IIRC they also purged the Frigate image from the updated MENTAT.PAK (unless I'm mixing it up with something else -- my memory is a bit fuzzy on this). Since the WSA image format is different between the two versions, there was no way to restore the Frigate image for v1.07 at the time of creating the fix.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 7/11/2019 at 10:15 PM, MrFlibble said:

I can only guess why these entries were removed, but IIRC they also purged the Frigate image from the updated MENTAT.PAK (unless I'm mixing it up with something else -- my memory is a bit fuzzy on this). Since the WSA image format is different between the two versions, there was no way to restore the Frigate image for v1.07 at the time of creating the fix.

Do you mean this image?

frigate1.gif

Or bene gesserit mentat sprites?

• Like 1

• 2 years later...