Book with the largest following?

paul_of_arrakis

To mark my return to the forum, I'd like to pose an interesting question:

Other than religious texts, which published work of fiction has the greatest following, readership, fanbase etc.  Harry Potter has more recently, along with the LOTR.  But again, there are a huge number of dedicated readers of other books such as Dune (yay!), Narnia etc etc.

What are peoples thoughts?

"Other than religious texts, which published work of fiction..."

Niiiiice. ;D

Greatest in purely numerical terms? Probably that bespectacled Potter bumpkin. Still, there's an awful lot out there. Agatha Christie, Philip K. Dick, H.P. Lovecraft... To name but a small selection.

it was not my intention to start a religious debate!

by "fiction" I mean books telling a story, ie NOT the Guiness Book of Records.

It may be necessary to change the focus, to more about which books have had the largest following as they were published, and why?  Also, why have some books had "revivals" and new readerships?

Perhaps you should add, who has the most fanatical following (fans who attend conventions, dress up in costume, get into fists fights if author or works insulted, know every last mind-numbing detail about the works, own the book

Yeah, you do, but the way you wrote it I thought you were trying to quote someone else.  The Grimm brothers did write some popular books, although I wouldn't say there are lots of followers like there are with something like Dune or LOTR.

• 8 months later...

Ah, that story about the vampire guy written by a housewife? I remember reading an article in Focus about it some time ago, and recently the movie was aired on TV, but I couldn't force myself to watch it (apart from a trailer). If that vampire guy is so awesome and powerful (in the trailer, he stopped a speeding car with his bare hands to save his fiancee), then why the heck did he waste his time dating an inferior human girl in the first place?

For a good vampire-human love story, Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust is definitely a good watch :)

Twilight is hilarious, for all the wrong reasons.

It's a great shame that it should have become so embedded in popular culture, since I can think of five better vampire stories without reaching for my bookshelf. Dracula comes first of course; he wasn't the original but he easily remains the most badass. Hellsing is also cool, meaning the manga. Then there's Anne Rice's lot, though everything after Queen of the Damned was a bit pants. Salem's Lot, one of the few vampire stories that followed Dracula's line and went with subtlty over fisticuffs. 30 Days of Night, a superior graphic novel sadly cropped into a below-average movie.

I can think of more, but that'll do for now. I haven't seen them, but I admit that I will probably borrow the movies on dvd at some point just to see... what all the fuss is about. *cough*

He was over this way recently for the opening of the second(?) movie. I don't know if they caught him for the short interview I saw while he was still jet-lagged or what, but he sounded altogether rather dim to me.

Caught the last 40 minutes or so of the first movie on one of my satellite channels a few nights later. He broods well, I suppose, but I guess you have to be a teen girl to understand what all the fuss is about?

• 2 weeks later...