Stuck on Atreides Mission 7

TRL74

Hey everyone,

I've been playing Dune 2000 for all of 3 days now, and I breezed through Atreides Missions 1-6...but 7's killin' me.  I must have tried it 15 times, and the Sardaukar ambush just wipes me out in minutes.  I've tried all kinds of approaches, but the enemy is just overwhelming. 

Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks

Medium.  I pretty much walked through the 1st 6 missions without dying (probably took longer than average, but always finished strongly).  Mission 7 is a different story though.

I get the wind trap up, the refinery built, and then the enemy storms me.  Even if I fight off the 1st wave, and manage to get a heavy factory (or light, or 2nd refinery, or whatever) up, the bad guys just keep coming.

It's kinda sad to watch, really.

Medium.  I pretty much walked through the 1st 6 missions without dying (probably took longer than average, but always finished strongly).  Mission 7 is a different story though.

I get the wind trap up, the refinery built, and then the enemy storms me.  Even if I fight off the 1st wave, and manage to get a heavy factory (or light, or 2nd refinery, or whatever) up, the bad guys just keep coming.

It's kinda sad to watch, really.

The one where you capture there construction yard?

No, it's the one where the Emperor's wife tells you to go wipe out the Harkonnen, but they actually send Sardaukar to ambush you. 

well I just build defenses fast, i clog up the back of my base with troopers, and the front with my other units and turrets.

start ...make two windtraps one refinery one heavy factory .make four tanks. Now 2 refinery and 1windtrap  3tanks more. Baracks one.. Make any infantry about teen...another refinery and two windies .make light factory and 5 trike .2 tanks  3 kuads .get radar .update conyard , two more windies 7 missile cannons..keep tanks production .. Make starport and take 3harvesters (you get 6)  two more windies .one research center

• 1 month later...

Are you serious dude mission 7 atreides is so damn easy only took me half hour to win it there is only 2 sardaukars that attack you how do you lose to that just kill them with a seige tank or trike or just run over them. though mission 8 atreides I say is the 2nd most hardest mission in the entire game too many damn ordos.

• 1 month later...

You want to make an upgraded barracks, about 12 infantry at least 8 rocket troopers, two refineries, a turret, heavy factory, repair pad, 4 more tanks two more harvesters then continue as you wish.

Churn out three to four infantry squads with two or more rocket troopers in each squad. Place on the northern rocks. Move the two artillery pieces you get at the start over to meet the incoming infantry in the east but enough south (just beneath the rocks) so they are not in range of the incoming quads trikes and tanks coming from the north and dont kill your own troops with splash damage; use more rocket troopers on the northern rocks with the missile tank behind them to kill the incoming units and an infantry only squad on the southern most rocks to protect the artillery.

When the treacherous emperor attacks spot them arriving (having explored the region around the base before with the trike) and use the two tanks to run over the sardaukar then kill any quads then the trikes then tanks from that group. A few rocket trooper backup may help there but only after you squished the sardaukar. It can help to wait until they are attacking a building, like your barracks if you put it above the construction yard. Then move the tanks up north after the enemy heavy tanks are smoke to intercept enemy artillery before they get in range of the rocks and move a squad and quad out to help with enemy missile tanks. Use your missile tank on armor targets as necessary and back up the tanks from range. The hardest bit will be killing the missile tanks which come in last with the biggest punch per shot when you have damaged tanks. Once you have fired on them retreat your quad or the two tanks or your harvester (whatever they are firing at) past the rocks and lure the missile tanks into the base past your troopers with suitable Atreides cunning and the troopers and your own missile tank will make short work of them. Alternatively take the troopers out to the tanks. Key X will scatter a squad so they are not all run over.

Get the heavy factory upgraded and build a repair pad before anything else and save the original units and then build more tanks and use the same methods for later waves and with a northern turret you should survive (helps if you remember to repair that). This method works OK for hard so it should work on medium. Placing the refineries helps, one to the south east for a small eastern spice field there and one to the north east beneath the rocks for harvesting the surrounding spice with trooper protection.