The Great Debate

garth

"You just don't get it do you Dune was not going to be another STAR WARS they weren't ready for Dune yet the timing wasn't right."

I don't think you get it. David Lynch's "Dune" was oversimplified to the point of being Star Wars on a desert planet. If you think the common person can't grasp the concepts laid out in the chronicles, then fine. But don't lower the bar for Lynch by doing so.

If the show can be true to the book and entertaining then there is absolutely no reason to simplify the production. The majority of people in the world aren't stupid.

"And as far as rain on Arrakis what about the Hymn to Water."

Again you're missing the point. Paul made it rain on Arrakis because he was being portrayed the almighty god-like Kwisatz Haderach with superpowers. It totally neglects the fact that in the books Paul was a FALSE PROPHET, he took advantage of the fremen people and their superstitions to survive. Yet another blatent oversight on Lynch's part. With his production virtually nothing is kept completely intact from the books to the screen. There is no point in making a movie or miniseries based on a book if you're not even going to try to be remotely accurate to it.

The true essence of Dune, as far as visuals are concerned, is kept in John Harrison's work. If you prefer not being able to see what's going on in the Lynch movie then whatever floats your boat I guess. If anything, the matter of opinion in visuals is about all the Lynch movie has going for it.

I have not missed any points everything I have talked about was due to HIS (Lynch's) interpretation. I was NOT saying that anyone was stupid. I didn't miss the point about Paul being a FALSE PROPHET as you say Shaddam. You keep talking about the lighting where you could not see anything (space scences, Harkonnen homeworld, sietch scences) I have never encountered this problem (VHS or DVD). I still like the Lynch version and nothing will change that.  ;D

There is nothing to interpret Fedaykin.....Paul was a false prophet. Lynch overlooked this. End of discussion. The book says what it says.

"I still like the Lynch version and nothing will change that."

Then why did you even come by this thread, which is a debate, if you were never going to listen to other people in the first place?

You have failed to use any evidence whatsoever to explain why you prefer the Lynch movie over Harrison's. If you're not going to support your opinions and remain close minded and complacent then all I can say is I hope you're not like this about everything in life....and best of luck in the future.

Is there no one out there up to the challenge to use deductive reason to explain why they prefer Lynch over Harrison's work?!

Shaddam I came to discuss Dune and I am not closed-minded.

I have told you why I liked the Lynch version the evidence is in some of my replys, but in the last couple of replys you have made it personal. And to honest with you I'm gald Dune finally got the treatment that it deserves IN A MINI-SERIES FORM.

1.) I liked the idea of having the Baron on air surpenders it added to his insanty.

2.) The weirding devices was that not brilliant.

3.) When they (Sardaukar) kill Duncan I thought that was better than stabbing him in the head. "The slow projectile penetrates the shield." How long before someone finds a way to use projectiles instead of swords to penetrate shields and they were not on the open desert.

You see somethings about the movie for me made me like the Dune books even more (even if the movie was not faithful but that is why we have Harrison's version). Now if you don't mind I have Harkonnens to destroy. YA HYA CHOUHADA!!!

"Shaddam you had better start using voice or something cause I'm not going to change my mind about Harrison vs. Lynch."

I'm sorry, thats not being close minded. :)

And I believe you started to get personal with me.....

"You just don't get it do you Dune was not going to be another STAR WARS they weren't ready for Dune yet the timing wasn't right."

I think both of u r getting 2 personal about this. I can imagine both of u yelling those things u mentioned at the computer while u type the message. Well yelling is too big, talking to your computer as u type it. Both of u need to calm down.

• 2 weeks later...

Well I have seen part 1, part 2/3 are on tape but I haven't been able to watch them yet.

So far I would have to go with the movie being better at this point... I really don't like how Irulan just appears and the invasion sequence seem to go by too quickly. The Guild ships looked a little weird too.

So far the miniseries has been good but the movie is better so far... I'll see how the last two parts go.