Dune 2000 playable on GameRanger now

Scott Kevill

I posted a few months ago about GameRanger as a place to play E:BfD online.

I'm pleased to say that after a bit of a delay, Dune 2000 is now also supported. It's not quite as automatic as most games because of the way Dune 2000 requires you to pick your team/colours before you host or join a game, but this still should be a lot quicker & easier than Hamachi.

GameRanger does use the LAN mode of Dune 2000, but it forces Dune 2000 to use TCP/IP rather than IPX, which means you won't have any hassles with Vista like you do with Hamachi. Not to mention all the other Hamachi issues of juggling networks, evicting stale users, etc.

But how it works?

With age of kings hamachi I only need to copy the ip and go tcp/ip.With Dune 2000 don't work:in this pc I have no the button of LAN (it is Vista),but in the pc of my parents I have it,but I can't set the IP so hamachi doesn't work.

I tried to host with this GameRanger but once I hosted I have only the button start and it only make the game start in normal mode.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

I have the same problem with gameranger, when i create a server it starts the game and then options and buddies have this "Waiting for Host" message, Dune2000 also don't want to work on hamachi, my Kali95 trial account is dead so i can't play on it (and it was actually a good workaround for many IPX games :/), and in Westwood Online (which is hosted by you i believe) when i start the server my buddies can join, but after that i got Sing 1 player join in and countdown from 60 to 0 and i can't do nothing, if anyone knows how to play Dune2000 please let me know i like this game and my buddies also.

• 1 month later...

Hi all, it looks like Dune 2000 had me fooled. It was only partially converted to TCP/IP on GameRanger. It was showing the game correctly, but it still tried to use IPX to host/join on it. This meant a) it was only working on a LAN, and b) explains why it wasn't working for people on Vista.

It's fixed now and should work over the internet as intended. Sorry about the mix-up.

• 1 month later...

:)hi Scott, i used to keep dune2000 alive through the westwood server. If people try that, it was very hard to get things going, and to get people on line. We tried it for two years and then changed to hamachi. That worked but was also hard to install and adjust for players. I try the game now with gameranger with some old players. I didnt worked for us. We tried with Vista, windows xp, without firewall, 8 byte etc. I only get a count down when i join a game, and it crashes when i host a game. Can you help us out? 

old xwis still works but after 30 minutes out of sync. i have tested with many players  but this happens

i noticed that might be my router  because it has only 2mbit download 512kb upload and this may be problem because when we have small amount of units game isnt crashing  but when we both have over 100 and try use them it crash out of sync instant  if we have  some ai on game out of sync after 7 - 10 minutes.  i cannot buy  more transfer because the isp was cheapest i found..  other games work fine  but dune isnt anymore. i can get game and play  but only for limited time (?)

:)he asistrike, how are you old warrior. From the three ways of playing on line Hamachi works the best for me. Its fast and not a lot of trouble to set up. No trouble with large amounts of units. I had big fun playing this game again with lysy the two hand bandit. We played for two hours lol. Only trouble is there are no victums left. So anyone who want tho play against us are welcome. ;) You will die on this planet.........

i got battlestations pacific game  its  huge ebtter than dune . but i still can play dune howewer it will be working only  short time so no way for 2 hour game max is 30minutes because after than theres  sudden oos  problem..  i finally found the reason for it.  its my ISP. ..  i had installed dune2000 on laptop with windows98 i connected it to my isp and played game.  and this happened . when i connected other isp (mobile phone isp) game worked  good but cellphone isp is extreme expensive and cant use it for gaming..  ..

but this is weird. i can play all games with minimal problems but dune cant for long time. i can play silent hunter 3 with 8 players for 5 hours without disconnection!  same as for fourth part of silent hunter and both battlestations (midway and pacific)

i have hamachi started and it will be on-line untill 23-00 poland time

• 1 month later...

Gladly, back to playing dune2k after...a million years away.  Desperately want to play

online versus friends/relatives.  Registered a couple userid's w/Gameranger.  All seems

to go well until starting up the new game.  Host join gameroom, host starts game..good.

Now d2k starts.  Selection options, internet, lan..etc.  Internet always goes to westwood

which seems a dead end.  hitting enter/lan brings me to the familiar menu for games available

where Dune2000 Lobby is only option.  Selecting NEW works but the 2nd user never sees this

game as available to join.

Suggestions?  I've been reading all kinds of threads in this forum, but haven't seen this

yet.  I'm hoping its a simple solution due to my first time trying this on Gameranger.

Thanks

Adam

• 1 month later...

[used to be it's own topic, moved here]

Hi, I'm new to the community and this is my first post.

I would like to play dune2k online, but I haven't seen any games out there (and I don't have any friends on GameRanger). I would like to know if many people play dune on GameRanger, or if I should use another server instead.

Also, I have the Clash of the Landsraad mod installed, and want to know if I have to uninstall it to play online (probably not, since the mod basically replaces .bins, but does that mean that the mod will be active for me if I play online, even if the person/people I play against doesn't have the mod?)

If any of you play on GameRanger, I would be happy to play against you (especially if you have the mod).

I played on Win Xp with gameranger perfectly fine. I'm trying to get it working on Windows7, but my friends are offline and I have no one to test it with. I would be glad to play with you guys, my nick on gameranger is awm.

I'll try to be online as often as possible.

• 2 months later...