Super Dune II Classic

MrFlibble

supertitle.png

Super Dune II Classic is an updated version of the Dune II modification/add-on, Super Dune 2, which was released back in 1994 by Power C and Shadow Knight. The Classic edition fixes as many glitches and bugs in Super Dune 2 as possible, while keeping the original feel and all features of the modification intact.

Super Dune II Classic is designed for stand-alone installation, but you will still need certain original Dune II files to play.

NOTE: It is not recommended to install Super Dune II Classic into your Dune II directory. Follow the instructions in the readme file on how to create a stand-alone installation of Super Dune II Classic.

NOTE: If you're running Super Dune II Classic from Windows (without DOSBox), it is highly recommended that you also download and install the Windows sound/speech fix.

Super Dune II Classic at ModDB

Download Super Dune II Classic v1.5g

Download Super Dune II Savegames

Super Dune II Classic Screenshot Gallery

The fixes and changes introduced in Super Dune II Classic include:

• All scenario (mission) files have been cleaned of errors and mistakes, first and foremost of the team bug, which means the AI is now harder. Here's a nice example of enemy attack teams:
    superaiteams.png
  • The Mentat animations for the new sides were messed up in SD2, this has, too, been fixed. Now the Fremen are briefed by Cyril, the Mercenaries by Ammon, and the Sardaukar by Radnor.
  • All missions are now supplied with appropriate briefings.
  • The errors which caused concrete placement restrictions for the Mercenaries and the Sardaukar ("concrete bug") and prevented the Fremen- and Mercenary-conquered regions from showing up on the conquest map ("vanishing houses bug") have been fixed.
  • Frigate delivery now works properly for the new sides:
    superstarport.png
  • The player-owned sandworms in the Fremen campaign are now more friendly towards the player's other units. They are set by default to Area Guard, in which mode they do not devour friendly units. Additionally, the player can now manually set the worms into Area Guard mode if the need arises:
    supersandworm.png
  • Fixed some in-game graphical bugs, including the IX remap error.
  • All modified files are neatly packed into PAK archives for your convenience.

Special thanks

I'd like to thank the following people who helped me a lot with project development:

Thanks guys! :D

• 2 weeks later...

I've fixed a couple more issues in the new release, the most significant being that the Sandworms have been made more controllable now. You can issue different orders to the Sandworms: Attack, Move, Guard and Area Guard. The latter is most useful so far, since it makes the worm to only target enemy units. It will follow your units that are on sand though, but will not attack them.

supersandworm.png

Also, Area Guard is now the default command for the Fremen-owned Sandworms in all missions of the Fremen campaign.

Other changes include:

• Unit cap for all sides increased from 25 to 35 in most missions.
  • The AI had been given a significant boost in initial credits in all missions.
  • Some pre-placed units have been changed (e.g. Fremen Raider Trikes have been replaced with regular Trikes).
  • The final missions for each side were completely rewritten: the enemy bases are more nicely planned now, and all AI players have been given construction yards so that they can rebuild their bases (which never happened in Dune II v1.0).

I didn't :) It's just what the worm seems to do if you set it into the Area Guard mode (you know, of course, that this mode is default for worms in the earlier missions in Dune II, and they behave far less aggressively). I have used the last Fremen mission for testing, and in Area Guard mode the worm will follow you units that are on sand (harvesters most often), but won't eat 'em. If an enemy unit appears, however, the worm sets off to swallow the intruder and then gets back to following the harvester.

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like you forgot to update the download link though :)

Whoops! :O Thanks for pointing that out, jordos! Fixed that :)

edit: btw, does this package include the emc patch?

Nope, I decided not to include it. Maybe I'll add it as an optional patch though.

Rejoice, Nyerguds! Thanks to sergra's valuable info the lovely Bene Gesserit lady is back ;D (albeit she is converted into IBM.PAL - I've used the version I made for Dune 2 eXtended; so the problem was keeping Ammon as the Mercenary Mentat, not the different palette).

superbg.png

The mod package has been updated. I've also fixed a small flaw in the main menu of the game, which would display an "empty" menu item if there are no saved games to load and no recorded high scores (i.e. when you start the game for the first time).

• 2 weeks later...

I have created a small package called Dune II Retro, basically its a version of Super Dune II: Classic Edition for v1.0, which also fixes a couple of issues in regular Dune II v1.0 as well. It's made for nostalgic purposes only :) Download it here:

http://nyerguds.arsaneus-design.com/dune/dune2fun/Dune2Retro.7z

(Thanks to Nyerguds for hosting the file!)

Installation: unpack the contents into your Dune II (v1.0) directory (answer Yes when it asks if some files should be overwritten), and enjoy ;) Dune II Retro can be installed over the original release of Super Dune 2 (1994). If you have this release, run CLEANUP.BAT after the installation to remove some redundant files from your Dune II directory.

NOTE: It's not compatible with Dune II v1.07! More info in the supplied Readme file.

I've decided that the tweaks and changes I made in the were a bit too much, so now SD2 missions are as close to the original as possible - with all errors fixed, of course :)

I've also uploaded a set of savegames for SD2 campaigns (a link has been added to the first post). The savegames are compatible with both Super Dune II: Classic Edition and Dune II Retro. Enjoy! :D

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

Super Dune II Classic has been updated to v1.5. The update includes the latest fixes, such as the IX remap bug fix, digitized sound effects fix, glowing selection boxes for the new sides and fixed heralds in the production/starport screen. I've also figured out how to skip the Atreides ending (which plays for all "new" sides) but keep the game credits playing after the final mission. With this done, the credits text is now for both Super Dune 2 and the original Dune II. The Fremen are now much more resistant to deviation than in the previous releases, to balance issues with the first Fremen mission. To compensate for the fact that the Mercenaries and the Sardaukar no longer have restricted concrete slab placement, the "decay" damage received by these sides has been increased somewhat.

IMPORTANT NOTE: The modification is now designed for a stand-alone installation, and installing it into the Dune II directory is not recommended. Please refer to the supplied readme file for installation instructions.

• 1 month later...

Uploaded the patch that adds Gravis Ultrasound support to Super Dune II, analogous (but not identical) to the Dune II Ultrasound patch. The patch comes with a configuration file that sets the game to use Gravis Ultrasound as the MIDI music device, and Sound Blaster Pro as the digitized speech and sound effects playback device. After installing the patch, you will still be able to use other sound devices like Sound Canvas, MT-32 or Sound Blaster for MIDI music playback. However, the use of the digital Gravis Ultrasound driver for speech and sound effects is currently unsupported.

[Edit] The GUS patch is now part of the Super Dune II Classic Distribution, see below.

• 4 months later...

Super Dune II Classic v1.5g combines the original v1.5 release and the GUS patch into a single distribution. Also added is the Turbo Mode (launched with a separate executable), a homage to the old releases of Super Dune 2 that had the instant build hack. Essentially, Turbo Mode does the same, but with the internal Dune II debug switch rather than via a code hack. As an extra bonus, the Turbo Mode uses unit and building stats from the Sega Mega Drive Dune: The Battle for Arrakis port of the original game, generally resulting in a 25% increase in damage against units for all weapons, and 25% decrease in damage against structures; some structure stats have been modified too, and the wheeled vehicles now move a lot faster in Turbo Mode. All of these tweaks should make the game a bit more intense.

I've also made a neat DOS installer for the mod using the installer SFX module from RAR for DOS v2.50. Being an SFX RAR archive, the installer can be opened in any archive manager that supports the RAR format (like WinRAR or 7zip) if you encounter troubles running the installation programme directly (although it should work fine in DOSBox).

Download Super Dune II Classic v1.5g

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...