Chrome or Firefox?

Summary: Firefox is better than Chrome.

Chrome is new, so not very mature. Chrome works mostly on windows only, although they are trying to port to other OS. They took Chrome out of beta even though it was intitially released Sept. 2008. Gmail has been out since March 2004 and is still in beta. I think Chrome went out of beta so OEM would include it when selling computers. Chrome is more of a direct competitor with IE.

And lets face it, if Google is paying firefox 50 million a year to have google default search engine, what if Chrome overtook firefox, then google wouldn't have to pay Mozilla anything. Google wants to take some control in the web browser market. It can be very profitable.

Firefox has extensions. Chrome does not have adblock+ so it automatically is worse than firefox. :P

Both are open source which is good.

I havn't used Chrome, but I like it simply because the more browsers there are, the less chance of a monopoly which will stifle competition and make the web crap, which is what IE6 did for 5 years.

Having tried nearly every browser currently available (IE7 & 8, Firefox, Opera, Chrome, Netscape, Safari), I can safely say that Firefox is the best.  For a start, it's faster on every page than all of the others, bar Chrome.  The speed difference is tiny, but is more than compensated for by the level of support and integration into nearly every application you can imagine.

It's customisable, with everything tweakable and adjustable to your personal preferences.  Everything is where it should be (File Menu etc. at the top, address bar, bookmarks, tabs, in that god-damn order) and it looks very pretty, even in default skins.  Yes, it is a bit of a RAM whore and takes a little while longer to start up than other browsers, but I wouldn't change it unless something much better came along.

Chrome, to put it bluntly, is catastrophically mediocre.  The options are minimal and treat the user with a familiarity bordering on condescension.  It might be quick, but that's because there's barely anything to it.  Everything looks very basic, which may appeal to some, but it's not something that I like.  Plus, it refuses to load my iGoogle homepage, which I find hilarious.

If you're trying to decide which to use, I would definitely choose Firefox, but try it for yourself.  Make your own decision.

Hell, I'd even use IE over Chrome - at least it plugs in to Windows nicely. :)

How bout you guys, which is better?
Firefox has extensions. Chrome does not have adblock+ so it automatically is worse than firefox. :P

Both are open source which is good.

I doubt there is a best internet browser. It's a matter of personal taste and finding one that best applies to your needs. All posters in this topic probably can find one reason on each browser mentioned to favor it above the other. And even find one option that makes it wortless to use.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Is Google spending $106.5m to open source a codec?

Google just bought the former company that owned copyright of OGG theora (video). Google owning the company that may own copyright, means they can freely start using OGG without worrying about lawsuits. Not that there should have been any.

A speedier, spiffier beta for Google Chrome

Today google released new chrome version with HTML 5 support which includes <video> tag which means OGG video format works in default install, no plugins/extensions needed.

Hopefully OGG becomes default and kills all proprietary competition. Screw flash, silverlight, etc. MP4 is nice, but 100% free and open format is better :)

All google has to do is switch youtube to OGG and it's game over for competition.

Here good example of HTML 5 possibilities. Flash can't do that at all. At least not easily.

I'm sorry, but that's just cool. :D

this HTML5 link was featured on slashdot today and probably contributed to twitter crashing today. Interesting, but doesn't show any good usability stuff (I can't figure how to use it correctly). I think it is more of a random thing where you get to see who is twittering about the link.

• 3 weeks later...