President Obama

Well, yes, but so what? There's nothing special about day number 100. You could just as easily pick any random day - and I'm sure you'll be able to find SOME day in Obama's presidency when he will be less popular than any other president on the corresponding day of his presidency. I expect the same holds true for most presidents.

And switching opens you up to all sorts of

If the switch was politically motivated (i.e., he couldn't win on the Republican ticket) he deserves the mockery. If however, the switch was motivated by a genuine change of heart, he should rise above the mockery and ridicule to follow his heart. Those who truly care for him will stand beside him and support him.   :)

(big edit, hoping to make it fit better)

Since I want to pursue an academic career, I applied to eight different graduate programs earlier this year.[c]

ho noh... our universities will be filled with communists

Hwi thinks she got there with serious work and studies some others didn't care for, Edric thinks he did just like many others. All are not born equal while all do not study equal either. Adam Smith, who was certainly gifted, also studied hard and himself gave much or most of his wealth to charity - he did not do things "equal" to others. If he built up his system from his own personal expectations that people look like that too (or become like this in his system), those not fitting this expectation are in a gap.* Edric, you seem to take the left side of this road. With the care for studying and a head that's helping with school, not to mention thinking about giving extra earnings, you might actually have more to agree than it looks with the marxists' steretypical nemesis.

Adam Smith's system might share more than you think with your thinking - if you take into account the entirety of his writings.* This means Smith could actually agree with much of your principles (and by extension disagree with some who'd have claimed legitimacy from his heritage). Unvoluntarily, by some common principles, you might both defend the same thing except that in a group of 10 with a conflict you'd defend 5 of them and he'd defend the 5 others.**

Overall, I think it makes that a part of what you bring, whatever the field, can work out fine with some calling themselves "right wing", libertarians, whatever. As long as it doesn't become just about politics I guess. It makes some place for agreement with "right-wing" people with different views if nuances are kept, as long as each takes care of his respective specialties.

Ex: You and Hwi both want some integrity around which, from you, is useful to rulers and, from Hwi, is useful to people in need of honest information from lenders to make good economic decisions.

* Note also that Adam Smith wrote about morality, ethics and such topics. This might tell how his economic system is counting on that part actually being there. Many present views arguably based on Smith are actually not agreing with Smith's grand view and could be cherry-picking.

** i.e. Like people defending freedom or else, just for different groups. They actually defend the same thing on some points, though their vocabulary does not explicitly say so.

Government to steal 2200 acres for Flight 93 memorial

2200 acres for a plane crash site? And if you are not willing to sell your land, the government will simply take it? Hope these owners make use of their second amendment

Oh yeah there is that thing in American, British and Canadian laws. It allows the government to plow over your house if they want.

Well, in Britain, the government has to pay for the land. Dunno about anywhere else.

Yeah, same in Canada however they use the property tax reported value which usually is lower than the market value of the house because people don't want to pay high property tax so in the end it is still a loss.

• 2 weeks later...

Basically if this was Bush presenting it, everyone would get pitchforks and march on DC. But since it is obama and he is doubling debt-gdp ratio from 41% to 82%, that is ok.

Couldnt of said it better myself...

Its not enough the mass public do not understand Obama is a puppet, they turn there backs to the fact hes throwing away more money then Bush.

http://www.cnn.com/2009/POLITICS/05/20/zelizer.national.security/index.html

"Obama, who in February 2008 said the trials of Guantanamo detainees were "too important to be held in a flawed military commission system," now says that he will continue to use that system, though in slightly modified fashion. When Obama announced that he would not release photographs of mistreated detainees, many of his supporters could not help but be disappointed."

He's turning out to be a bumbling idiot.

With Bush they did a lot of stupid stuff, but at least he stuck to his stupid stuff.

With Obama he says one thing, and a month later he does another. Promises unicorns, and delivers donkeys.

Remember how Obama was against "don't ask don't tell" in the military? Yet he hasn't done anything with it, and doesn't plan on it.

Also, in military if you tell people you're gay, you get kicked out. So all these AWOL soldiers, why don't they just say they are gay, and then not have to fight in the wars they don't want to fight in? :P

I had a look at his speech. It's a bit skimpy on the details, but what appears to be the case is that there are some people who remain in 'legal limbo.' Not enough evidence to convict them, but not a country on earth will have them, not even America to face trial. Not very handy, and not really his fault.

Having said that, it's a tiresome state of affairs and Obama is looking increasingly complicit.

Mmm, schadenfreude.