President Obama

Obama beer sparks controversy

Obama was drinking a beer at an NBA game. How dare he! He should be working on fixing the economy.

He's a raging alcoholic! People look up to him. This will encourage people to drink!

Won't someone think of the children and stockholders!?

EDIT:

Upper-Income Taxpayers Look for Ways to Sidestep Obama Tax-Hike Plan

A 63-year-old attorney based in Lafayette, La., who asked not to be named, told ABCNews.com that she plans to cut back on her business to get her annual income under the quarter million mark should the Obama tax plan be passed by Congress and become law.

Huh? How does US taxes work? Wouldn't the new tax only affect the income above $250,000?

EDIT: others have pointed out that these people are completely stupid and have no idea how taxes work.

What’s up with President Obama snubbing the British? Prime Minister Gordon Brown’s reception was rather icy to say the least. The whole visit was just one slight after the next. One thing’s clear, this will by no means be another Bush/Blair best-friends-forever relationship.

What about when they invade Iran (or whatever country they want)? I'm sure Obama and the British prime minister will become best friends then.

Yes, I imagine so. 

I was just hoping that someone could shed some light on why Obama was practically giving Brown the cold shoulder the whole time.  It was not the welcome one would have anticipated for a strong, long-time ally, one with whom the U.S. has had a special relationship with for quite some time.    According to the article, this was their 3rd meeting, but the first since Obama became president.  The treatment was down right shabby if you ask me.  I

It would be interesting to know why Obama would not be Browns best friend. I thought Brown was an somewhat unpopular Prime Minister?

Harper and Obama had a love affair when Obama was here, so it's not that Obama is incapable of friendship.

How long is Brown going to be in power? When is the next election there? Maybe he didn't seem friendly so it doesn't mess with whoever gets into power next?

A few thoughts...

Brown is not particularly popular in some quarters for the following reasons:

- The relative economic prosperity that New Labour enjoyed was largely thanks to his time as Chancellor, but in the current crisis some facts are emerging that suggest his plan was short sighted, and contributed to recent troubles.

- Especially in pensions.

- He was not elected, he simply took aover after Blair stepped down.

- Nobody likes the cronyism of New Labour.

- Brown is a bit of a dour fellow, good at his job but not especially personable.

- The Scots especially feel a bit betrayed that the Prime Minister (himself Scottish) consistantly plays up "Britishness" and doesn't seem especially interested in them.

- Nobody likes the man in charge when things are going down the crapper. We're in recession and the war in Iraq drags ever on; problems that it could be said Brown inherited rather than caused, but whatever.

I'd be inclined to say that the coldness isn't related to any of those things though. I would guess that Obama may be trying to distance himself from Blair's successor rather than Brown himself or the country as a whole. Alternatively, he may be taking the Zimbabwean route and dismissing us as colonialists.

The next General Election is going to be sometime later this year, probably. I haven't been paying too much attention to politics recently, so I'm not sure of Brown's chances of staying in office. He still has strong support in some quarters, and like Blair is benefitting from the "not great, but there isn't anyone better" status quo.

PM Brown presented President Obama and his family with some very unique and thoughtful gifts that have great historical significance and represent the long standing partnership between the U.S. and Great Britain.

In return, President Obama presented PM Brown with

Apparently the feeling is mutual.

Although President Obama did make the obligatory comments regarding Great Britain...

"The special relationship between the United States and Great Britain is one that is not just important to me, it's important to the American people," Obama assured the British, hitting all the requisite points about common language, culture and the fact that Britain is "where my mother's side of my family came from."

Seriously though, are the British the least bit offended by this?  Or do they mostly despise PM Brown and view the treatment as no worse than what he gets at home?

I don't see him as that much of a great politician to be honest, can't see him changing an awful lot.

He's changed quite a bit. He is spending more money than Bush ever did. That is change I was not expecting. Will respond to Obama spending in CAD/USD thread.