What hardware are you going to buy in 2009?

the Sharkoon Quickports are great. I have one too although I have a single slot model. There were no Duo models at that time. But at least it's for 2,5" as well as 3,5". I think you will enjoy this thing.

the Sharkoon Quickports are great. I have one too although I have a single slot model. There were no Duo models at that time. But at least it's for 2,5" as well as 3,5". I think you will enjoy this thing.

I already am, boss bought some for at the office, so I had the pleasure to test-drive it :)

Don't think I have 3tb of stuff to put on it, but that won't take long anyhow :)

Had to send back my mouse unfortuntately. It wasn't precise enough (or at least not as much as its predecessor) and it also stopped working for no reason after one day. Tested it on 2 more computers and it didn't work there anymore either.

The SSD and the HDD enclosure are great though. The RFID encryption works without any problems or any additional software. Aside from that the case also looks great.

Oh, ok. I presume you are using winxp?

Does Corsair have garbage collection firmware yet? I think uses indilinx so eventually it should. I think OCZ gets it first.

Once garbage collection firmware for your SSD comes out I'd get it.

Corsair forums aren't very helpful and I don't see any mention of garbage collection firmware other than a couple threads.

Everyone is switching to smart phones this year. Except me. I'll take a cell phone that I can drop and it will still work, and if it does break no problem. Silly people and their $80/month contracts. :)

Will wait for something decent which can easily tether to wireless networks.

It'll probably be something with andriod since that is open source (I hear symbian is too). But then the cell providers can still put restrictions on it, and to buy one without a contract costs $400, and the data plan alone costs $40 a month. No thanks. Still too much for me. :(

My iPhone was just over 120 US Dollars, it has a contract plan of roughly $40 US a month.

(it still is my personal phone)

The Nokia shown above has a $24 US plan. (including unlimited data and a foreign country roaming plan allowing me to call for just 1 Euro per hour when abroad)

Besides that I can use it with our Cisco CallManager (or CUCM as it's called today). let me know the moment Andriod get's that.... ;)

I agree that $80 a month for a phone contract is ridiculous.

They have been taken with the oldest camera I could find, on just about the only clean spot in the house. After moving them across the country yesterday two of them are currently resting on a FatBoy 16 feet from me.

(scaling of a bit off, by clicking them the you can view the original image in better proportions)

Thanks anyway ;)

• 3 weeks later...

If you're dealing with servers, is anyone switching to SSD that you know of for speed? Cost per gb per IOPS is much cheaper for SSD than normal disks. I figured servers would be switching to SSD by now if new. As long as speed is more important than storage capacity.

The RAID1 for 140gb I assume for speed, 2x120gb SSD should be faster.

Although not many reviews compare SAS disks. Only good one I pointed out in SSD thread was this which showed SSD beating SAS IOPS by wide margin (SAS 37 times more expensive than SSD on a IOPS/$ basis).

If you're dealing with servers, is anyone switching to SSD that you know of for speed?

A friend of mine has a couple of Dell servers with flash drives. If I remember correctly they are not in use for storage purposes. He wasn't involved in the purchase decision so can't say for sure if performance was the reason for the disk type.

The RAID1 for 140gb I assume for speed, 2x120gb SSD should be faster.

Due to standards and backup parts I am not using sata drive at the company this server is for.

The server pictured has a build-in SDD slot that can be used to boot your OS from.

Most if not all server I manage are still SCSI based. Maybe in a couple of months I am gonna try out a Sun server with flash drives.