Dune 2010 - a spice orgy

Dromind

im wondering just how the new dune film is going to pan out.

Considering a majority of people havent got the patience to absorb themselves in the books. Would they struggle with the overly complex film i would like to see?

Question:

Would you prefer a 2 hour film or a 4 hour one? Or perhaps 3 installments like LOTR? Spice orgies anyone? Leto nailing Jessica? Alia at her first orgy? Paul nailing harah? Or mindless violence?

The director was talking of ecology as a major theme - looks like those guys on the dune editing board may have been pipped to a Dune 1 remake! (Cryo computer game!)

The "majority of people" are idiots. But then I'm an elitist dust scout.  ;)

Ecology is the power of the hour. Just look what good things came from making it the central theme of the recent remake (oh, sorry: "reimagining" ::) ) of <i>The Day The Earth Stood Still</i>!

I can't recall having seen any quotes from Berg (that ribey guy from "Chicago Hope", right?) himself specifically mentioning ecology, though. I have, however, read where he's said that <i>Dune</i> is basically an "adventure" story deserving "a more muscular treatment" than any thus far.

WhateverTF <b>that</b> means....

To answer your question, I would prefer a single three- or four-hour film. The fewer films, the less income for the money-grubbing Heirs of Herbert. And one completed film would be better than just a dangling first half, if this thing is the total FLOP I hope it will be.

Let's see... Spice orgy? If

Adapting Dune novel is quite a serious challenge.

Personnally i don't expect this or that to be included, i just expect something creative and twisted, may be even spiritually inspiring. I want to feel thirsty and i want to be replenished.

Don't play it easy with a dumbed down ecological theme, it wouldn't come close to my expectations.

Spinrad wrote that introduction for a special reissue of the German

DUNE edition by Heyne Verlag - it was only published in German.

He put up the original English text on his website because it had

never been published anywhere - it's not a well-known or often

quoted essay.

Berg's going to miss the point, just like everybody else seems to have since the 80s or so.

The central theme of DUNE is not 'ecology'.

Norman Spinrad will tell you why :

http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/normanspinrad/dune.htm

Superb article. Thanks for that post. I agree with a lot of what is said, i do feel there are overtones of Jesus in Messiah, the spice itself as oil or possibly saffron(there was that part of india that became almost the focal trading point of the world at one time). The fish-speakers are another nod to Jesus (the age of piscies). The Bene Gesserit remind me slightly of the Jewish with selected breeding plans and bitterness towards their 'messiahs', who do they say runs a jewish family? - i believe its the mothers. They also eat similar foodstuffs to their Islamic conterparts. Prognostication is frowned on by all religions though.

Reading Dune especially i was always thrown in some part of arabia envisioning it my mind. I am glad to see at least Berg is filming in Isreal - could you imagine the fremen faithfull being portrayed by arabs.. fantastic. There is a Palestine Group called the Holy Jihad Brigade - who declared on their Isrealite conterparts "Any infidel blood will have no sanctity," Did you ever once read that Harkonnen water mingled with Fremen (Except pauls obviously), although it would hardly be suitable it would certainly be interesting if they were cast. Perhaps a baron vladimir putin anyone?

Would anyone like to see a daring adaptation of a modern day oil fight? Turning into pre apocolyptic - myth driven messiah story that strongly favours a Islamic viewpoint.

That would fill some pews at the cinema.

• 3 weeks later...

The last news on it was that some writer named Zetumer was to do the screenplay, but that was back in June or so, no? (I think KJA has blawged about doing lunch with Harrison or some other producer, but you never know whether the stink of his oral flatulence is real or if you're getting his rug reek.)

No news is good news, I figure. I want this one to fail massively. Bigger and better than Lynch in every way! ;D