Show us your desktop!

Andrew

@exatreides

You play rome total war?

Play any of the mods? Do try Europa Barbarorum

Really awesome. Sadly my computer is too slow to play it good (takes a minute between turns, loading screens takes up too much time). Make sure you got ram, as I think it uses 1.5gb.

Which browser you have shown do you use most?

I play Rome total war now and then. Normally trying to build a Greek empire up or something like that. Hmm, Ill check out the mod.

Normally I use Google Chrome or firefox, my step dads the only one that touches IE and that happens very rarely.

I consider this to be my best political wallpaper - and, ironically, it doesn't seem to have been intended as a political statement. I found it online by accident. It's the artwork for the cover of a music album for a band I never heard of (the band is called "Billy Talent" and the album is called "Red Flag" - but a quick google search for the lyrics did not reveal any communist undertones at all; it seems to be intended more as a generic rebel thing).

Here's a link to the wallpaper itself. And here's a link to the website of the graphic artist who painted it.

As for the equal salary question - I'll give a short answer here and elaborate more in PM. I think equal salary (or rather, equal income) is a very desirable and very important goal. I'm not sure if it can ever be fully achieved, but at least we should try to approach it as much as possible. However, you can't just make incomes equal and leave everything else the same as now - that would be a disaster. If we want equality of income, we need some way to ensure that people don't flock to the easiest or most pleasant jobs. In other words, we need some way to get some people to do the harder or less pleasant jobs. For example, we could give people a choice between working long hours in a pleasant job or short hours in a difficult job. Or we could have a system where everyone must select a job from among a multitude of options, and the number of options depends on how hard you work (so that hard-working people are rewarded with the ability to select more pleasant jobs, while lazy people are stuck doing the unpleasant ones). Or we could require everyone to do, say, 2 years of "community service" in an unpleasant job. Or we could have some combination of the above...

Since I installed Win7 about a month ago, I had been using a generic background, biding my time until I could finish one of my own.  I've been learning to use 3DS Max and Photoshop, and my first project was Kyle Katarn's ship, the Moldy Crow, from Star Wars; Dark Forces.  And finally, here it is.

Rescue_at_Orinackra_by_Vanguard3000.png

http://vanguard3000.deviantart.com/art/Rescue-at-Orinackra-158137692

• 6 months later...

Nice!

Here is my ubuntu 10.10. Havn't figured out checkgmail icon problem. Did lots of stuff (google like crazy) to try to fix it, but nothing working :(

Havn't bothered to get custom background, just an installed ubuntu default. Goes well with dark theme.

Is that chromium nightly or ubuntu default chromium?

Also do you make use of more than 1 desktop? I usually only do if I have virtualmachine running or remote desktop viewer. Or if for some reason need to read one document and write to another where I can switch back and forth really quickly (instead of alt+tab).

Which dock bar are you using? AWN? Docky? I havn't tried them in a while.

Notice any bugs yet? I had to do my usual tweaking, such as get rid of shutdown countdown timer, havn't moved min/max/close buttons on this computer yet, but have on another.

audacious - music

vlc - video

Grsync - awesome and simple to backup folders/files to other devices

deluge - torrenting

radiotray - if you like to listen to internet radio.

Had some trouble with mounting hdd partitions, had to edit fstab, but hopefully most is fixed now.

I went from 9.10 to 10.10

post-510-066604000 1287452143_thumb.jpg

Nice!

Here is my ubuntu 10.10. Havn't figured out checkgmail icon problem. Did lots of stuff (google like crazy) to try to fix it, but nothing working :(

Havn't bothered to get custom background, just an installed ubuntu default. Goes well with dark theme.

Is that chromium nightly or ubuntu default chromium?

Also do you make use of more than 1 desktop? I usually only do if I have virtualmachine running or remote desktop viewer. Or if for some reason need to read one document and write to another where I can switch back and forth really quickly (instead of alt+tab).

Which dock bar are you using? AWN? Docky? I havn't tried them in a while.

Notice any bugs yet? I had to do my usual tweaking, such as get rid of shutdown countdown timer, havn't moved min/max/close buttons on this computer yet, but have on another.

audacious - music

vlc - video

Grsync - awesome and simple to backup folders/files to other devices

deluge - torrenting

radiotray - if you like to listen to internet radio.

Had some trouble with mounting hdd partitions, had to edit fstab, but hopefully most is fixed now.

I went from 9.10 to 10.10

That's google chrome's default theme.

I never use more than 1 desktop, i love that you can do it, but i don't have the need.

I'm using Cairo Dock, the best dock bar i've found. Docky is very good too.

When i was upgrading from 10.04 to 10.10, on the last step, rebooting the computer, my camputer crashed. I could't even get the grub nor the terminal working, so i had to reinstall 10.04. The next day, i downloaded 10.10, burnt it to a cd, and installed it. From now on, i'll only upgrade versions through cds, i think it's safer. So that would be the only mayor "bug" i noticed :P

I really don't see the point of releasing a new version every 6 months, i think it should be once a year. The versions that come out in April are usually the best ones. At least it's not like Debian, releasing a version every 3 years or so...

Have you tried any other distros? I tried Kubuntu and Opensuse, but i went back to Ubuntu. It's easier for me.

I can never get the subtitles working on vlc, i mean they can't keep up with the timing, so i use gnome player or SMplayer.

I do all of my torrenting on Vuze. Haven't tried other programs.

Audacious and Rhythmbox are great.

Do you play any videogames on Ubuntu? I used to play Sauerbraten but now i play Quakelive.

• 3 months later...