Textures & Explosions

Apollo

Hey all, since I began my modding emperor project again and have been experimenting with reshading the texture tgas for sides artwork but i endup making remap colors (house color) into one color that not change for player so what color is the remap in it and what methods did the other mods use to do this stuff?

also I enabled some of those unused explosions but unfortunately some appear not have sound hooks in them so is there any way to insert one? I am very well familiar with hex editing them in files where they are present but when not present, i don't know if it can be put anywhere in it to be read... :-

You have to be very careful when editing the .tgas if you use a modern graphics program like Photoshop or PSP you may end up changing the palette information and get funky mad colours in-game. To prevent this use a basic prog' like Gimp to open the file. Then copy/paste the section of the file you want to work on or replace into your favourite editor. When you are done, copy the section back into gimp and save the file (remember to use "save" not "save_as"). This should help to keep as much of the original formatting as possible.

With regards to the team colours, the game seems to use the colour RGB: 000 000 255 (Blue) and "brightness" values thereof to designate areas of the image to be replaced by the team colour. I will look into this a bit more and will let you know when I have something a bit more helpful.

With regards to the unused explosions you have found, my advice is not to bother with them. Westwood left an awful lot of unfinished stuff in the final .rfds and most of it lacks the necessary data to function properly within the game. If you really must persist then try altering an existing entry to include the data you require. you can even try making a copy of an existing element (say explosion or model) alter its attributes then create it as a completely new element. This is quite complicated and prone to going very wrong but can be done!

Hope this helpsĀ  :)

Thanks, I initially used paint shop pro but it caused emperor to begin crashing when saving with that so i resaved again with photoshop and it worked except for remaps...

I'll attach a picture to show..look at infantry..their remap works while buildings stay blue remap after my tga edits...no other glitches but Ill take your advice and try GIMP, got msn etc btw? :)

post-2884-12833239723269_thumb.png