scariest environment

spicy

i think the sourding in a vedio game is everything .. its most important in horror games ..

what is ure favorite/scariest environment ?? sewer ? abandoned or haunted houses ?

space ship?

mine is snow storms .. like the thing and cold fear .. the thing was really scary

I haven't played a lot of horror games really, but I find the concept of a haunted house quite disturbing. However, when I played Alone in the Dark 1, the environment didn't seem specifically frightening (sometimes unsettling though). The really scary atmosphere was on the Marine levels in Aliens vs Predator 1: it's dark, and there are Aliens out there ;)

some haunted houses games that i remember is  undying and  evil dead ..

but what i like is open storms environment specially snow , were u go in and out of shelters

i remember a game  called the thing  were u could last out in the storm for only limited

amount of time but u need to run from shelter to shelter during that time

I think a lot of environments can be pretty cool if the whole game is done properly. the lights, the sounds, the music, the gameplay...

I can also think of games with creepy places like sewers and cities lying in ashes... but the light effects made everything look more like a happy place.

So if the game is great then any environment could be very scary. right now I love "Dead Space". Great game, great sounds and scary moments...

• 2 weeks later...

AvP2 marine mission under landing pad area when the lights go off, leaving you with a few flares and a small torch (with a small energy charge). Nothing like the motion sensor going mad with contacts and having just a small cone on light to locate targets.

AvP2 marine mission under landing pad area when the lights go off, leaving you with a few flares and a small torch (with a small energy charge). Nothing like the motion sensor going mad with contacts and having just a small cone on light to locate targets.

Uhh... haven't played AvP2 for quite some time... It's not the infested sewers level, is it (the mission is called "A Long Detour", if memory serves)? There was another one near the landing pad, but I don't remember lights going out... The sewers were scary because of all those infected humans cocooned on the walls. You could press the use key on them and either get some supplies or a chestburster; some chestbursters were scripted. Those little pests were quite nasty, by the way.

Uhh... haven't played AvP2 for quite some time... It's not the infested sewers level, is it (the mission is called "A Long Detour", if memory serves)? There was another one near the landing pad, but I don't remember lights going out... The sewers were scary because of all those infected humans cocooned on the walls. You could press the use key on them and either get some supplies or a chestburster; some chestbursters were scripted. Those little pests were quite nasty, by the way.

Totally forgotten about that one, one I was thinking on was early on in the marine's story (think 3 or 4 fourth one).

Aren't Chestbursters just those little snake things?

Exactly. They're fast, quite hard to hit, and chew at your health happily while you try to aim down and dispatch 'em. And yeah, when you do, chances are you'll get some acid burns (I even tried to knife them to avoid this, but to no avail). It's especially nasty in the dark places, so in those sewers, I ran like mad back to moderately lit places upon spotting signs of a cocoon hatching nearby :)

Predators rule, man ;D

But the chestbursters from AvP2 aren't half as bad as facehuggers from AvP1. Like you go down a dimly lit tunnel... and as you go round a corner, you hear that scrc scrc scrc scrc sound they make with their little finger-like legs... you drop a flare or turn on night-vision, panicking, and try to locate the threat... and then one of 'em latches onto your face with that horrible high-pitched shriek before you even realize where it came from... game over, man... game over :D

That was scary :)

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Nothing beats dead space ICC Ishimure for me nowadays. Especially in the latter levels it drives me mad with tension.

I also cant forget my breathless moments in thief III haunted cradle.

Somehow, x-com tftd terrorized me with the "tentaculat." For those who dont know what it is... well, its a brain with tentacles and a beak, strongly psionic, comes closer to your soldiers, hits a few times, and your soldier turns into a hulkish enemy. And when you kill this "old friend" a new tentaculat is born from the body. Endless chain of terror under zillions of tons of water.

I haven't played a lot of horror games really, but I find the concept of a haunted house quite disturbing. However, when I played Alone in the Dark 1, the environment didn't seem specifically frightening (sometimes unsettling though).

I found Alone in the Dark 1 more frightening of Resident Evil 2.Surely the fact that you can kill many monster with your bare hands is not frightening,but while in RE 2 the big monster made their appearance with movie mode,in AITD there are some frightening moments:the beginning where you are attacked from the window or the trapdoor,the zombie that appear after you have explored a room,the immortal spirits,the monster of the main door.