Unit Crews for Water idea

09shedeen

Hey all!

I have my Dune II manual here, and each unit description indeed has listing for their crews. After reading about the water topic in the forum, I figured you would like to have them.

So, here they are.

Harvester: 5

MCV (Mobile Construction Vehicle): 15

Infantry: 1 to 3

Troopers: 1 to 3

Trike: 2

Quad: 2

Combat Tank: 2

Missile Tank: 3

Siege Tank: 3

Carryall: 4

Ornithopter: 2

Sand Worm: N/A

Fremen: Unknown (Yes, that's what it said, but I'm pretty sure all Fremen squads have 1 to 3 in the original game)

Sonic Tank: 2

Deviator: 3

Raider: 2

Saboteur: 1

Death Hand: N/A

Devastator: 3

Sardaukar: 3

I'm positive this is all correct; I have the original copy of the manual from 1992.

Hope this helps to spark more new ideas! Thanks.

By the way, Stefan...

I'm not sure if this has been mentioned yet, but the (i think) first couple of maps for each campaign has around 32x32 cells, rather than in D2TM with 64x64 cells in all of them. It's like there's more terrain than in the original.

Ah, well. You don't need me to be pointing out mundane details like that... just thought it was kinda wierd. Does D2TM only support 64x64? Because I thought it would be cool for the upcoming skirmish mode (or multiplayer 8)) to have larger maps, like 128x128.

Anyway, great work. Hope to be seeing more soon... :)

I'm not sure if this has been mentioned yet, but the (i think) first couple of maps for each campaign has around 32x32 cells, rather than in D2TM with 64x64 cells in all of them. It's like there's more terrain than in the original.

This is probably because the feature to scale the map down when the MapScale parameter is on doesn't work yet for some reason.

BTW, welcome to the forums, 09shedeen. I'm going to start some nice gameplay discussion sometime here, but currently I'm pretty busy. However, make yourself comfortable and have a look at some previous discussions we've had ;D Hopefully Stefan will also come along sometime :)

Welcome to the forums ;)

Yeah the water thing is very interesting; but it would also be a sort of 'farm' like in Warcraft. Like, if you don't have enough farms/water, then you need to build more so you can expand your unit capacity.

Somehow i want it to be more interesting then that some day.

The question i have would be, would it fit Dune 2? Or, should it be 'unlocked' in a sort of way. Like, when you play Dune II, you have the 'rules' of dune 2. But if you want to play "D2TM" you have different gameplay?

What are your thoughts?

I sure agree D2TM should have expanded gameplay features, as we have discussed numerous times, and hopefully will do so again :) The two modes - the "classic" mode and the D2TM mode you built in one of the releases would perfectly fit for that purpose IMO.

As I have suggested sometime before (gotta look for that in the past threads), I'd like to see some elements of AoE/C&C Generals in D2TM, in that each House could have different side-specific features and upgrades fitting its fighting philosophy and maybe even subfactions (like different "Commanders", each with his own attitude to combat ~ Generals Zero Hour). I'll expand on that later in a separate topic, when I got enough time to clearly formulate my thoughts :)

House IX, have you read the corresponding topic before posting?

Ok, what if windtraps would collect water? How would you like to see it spend in the game?

- limit your troop amount by water amount? (ie, windtraps = farms as in warcraft)

- use as extra for buying stuff? (not only spice, but also water required to build specific units?)

- any other idea?

since the engine is nearing 'completion' i want to take the path of cool ideas but keep it tight on the 'dune 2 universe'.