Google Chrome

http://www.google.com/chrome

For download and info.

To read a comic about the browser (very helpful to understand it, highly recommended).

http://www.google.com/googlebooks/chrome/

I went through the comic (about 30 or so pages). If this is the way the web is going (opensource/standards), then closed source apps that have proprietary standards are in trouble. More competition is good for consumer. I can't wait for when no browser has more than 30% market share. I doubt stagnation will occur then.

I havn't installed it and wont for while to see more feedback. Initial reports are that it is very fast.

Bad thing is it has an updater system, which does not inform you of this when installing.

Well I'm posting from it right now.  Dune2k recognises it as Safari in the list of browsers in Who's Online.  It's... different.  It works a lot like Firefox, but looks more like IE7.  Some of the features in the comic sound interesting, and they'd be cool to try out, but it's nothing special from what I can see.

Seems to have a spellchecker built in, and it's correcting me on quite a few things.  It's annoying, because I know they're being spelled just fine - wonder if I can turn that off somewhere?

Another thing that bugs me is that it seems to have no functionality for RSS or feeds of any sort.  Granted, it's Beta, but that's a pretty big part of the modern internet.

Anyhoo, only have it installed on my laptop at the moment.  Will see how things go and if I grow to like it any more than Firefox, which seems doubtful... no Ad-blocking functionality whatsoever.

I am not planning on installing it yet either, I also will wait for more feedback. The only thing I keep hearing is of the speed of Skynet Chrome... excuse me I mean Google Chrome. It is based off Webkit (same code base as Safari) that is why is shows as Safari here on FED2k. 

here is a link to a screen cast of Google Chrome in action

I like the layout. Just hope it's not Windows98 all over again. Where at first we all welcome it with open arms, then after a while we all get the insight that those functions should have been separated.

For now it's not a browser for me, to many bugs even for a Beta version (like the usual disclaimer reads, not to be used in production environments) and no support for client certificates.

I am still holding out upgrading to FF3, I just like FF2 that I do not care about upgrading. Anyway I have all the plug ins that I like for FF2 and I really do not like redoing any of that at this moment. I read the comic Andrew informative and funny at the same time reminds of the Linux comic I read awhile back. Who said comics were just for mutant Super Hero's.

• 1 month later...