Hurricane Gustav

Andrew

It's currently a category 4 hurricane, expected to get to category 5. Almost Direct hit on New Orleans area

This is gonna be fun to watch if the worst does happen.

Hope there are police scanners active. It was complete madness during Katrina.

The levees are not even complete so the city will be flooded again...

Monster Gustav hits Category 4

And it hasn't hit the warm waters of the gulf yet.

EDIT:

cool interactive hurricane map

webcams

Ah I remember watching a webcam after Katrina that showed a downtown building catch on fire.

I keep wondering who the f*** gives hurricanes those names. I mean, seriously, you don't name a person like that in germany for maybe... I don't know... but MANY years and giving a hurricane the name gustav seems like pure irony to me, because it sounds absolutely ridicolous, and I doubt the hurricane is ridiculous. it's a serious threat and that's why we should rename it and give it a more adequate name like "the incredible hulk"   ::)

(or try Mohammed and have some more fun with the muslims)  ;D

http://news.bbc.co.uk/

Glad they got their priorities straight this time with an armed military waiting to shoot looters. At least that is why I presume they have an armed military there.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/7590426.stm

Mr Bush is due to visit Texas to oversee hurricane emergency efforts there.

WOW.

That is a huge improvement from giving a birthday cake to McCain and playing guitar after Katrina happened.

bush playing guitar pic

Bush giving cake to McCain pic

post-1194-12833239703451_thumb.jpg

Well I am just waiting for the hurricane to hit oil platforms. Price of oil will go up and so Canadian dollar. I can see the portfolios I manage going up.

I was wondering what was going on this weekend. Surprised I havn't read much about the futures markets this weekend. I remember this spring when the US markets were crashing over the weekend caused by a failed bank, decreasing USD, high oil etc.

Now that I actually checked google finance it looks like 96% of gulf of mexico output has stopped.

Feds: hurricane sparks shut-in of 96% of Gulf oil output

Personnel from 86 offshore rigs and 518 production platforms have been evacuated. About 1.25 million barrels of daily oil output and 6.09 billion cubic feet of gas a day have been shut in the region.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/7590426.stmWOW.

Mr Bush is due to visit Texas to oversee hurricane emergency efforts there.

That is a huge improvement from giving a birthday cake to McCain and playing guitar after Katrina happened.

bush playing guitar pic

Bush giving cake to McCain pic

Sure blame it on Bush, you're good at that.  How about blaming it on the Democrat Governor at the time or the Democratic Mayor of New Orleans Nagin, who did nothing to prepare.

Didn't they teach that in your geography class at school in Germany ;)

No they didn't tech us that when I was at school (those were the days...) and reading the lists of names makes me laugh even more about meteorology. I wonder if somebody ever filed a lawsuit because he was being mobbed due to his name, e.g. at work she was suddenly only called "Chaos-Katrina" or "Destruction-Debby". I still think they should rename those hurricanes and give them more frightening names  ;D

It seemed that hurricane Katrina was used as an excuse by oil barons to raise prices sky high. Will they do that again now? Considering what I hear of the oil prices in America, I'm not sure if the populace would stand for that... though nowadays people just seem to gobble any $h!t stuffed down their throats.

When it comes to hurricane Katrina, what was there that Bush could do and what did he do?

When it comes to hurricane Katrina, what was there that Bush could do and what did he do?

New Orleans was just NOT prepared at all. I mean hundreds of buses were just floating in the parking lots afterwards when they could've been used for one.

On the other hand it didn't make any sense at all to take 5 days to get water to the superdome. There is just no perfect answer for a disaster.

The ''on the other hand'' suggests that you are speaking about the flooding water getting to the super dome (which might be unexpectedly fast hence the ''other hand'' and there is ''just no perfect answer for a disaster'') but the ''to get water to the superdome'' suggests you're speaking about transporting water there, which sounds more realistic (but in that case, why ''the other hand'' as this would be another point suggesting that the affair was mismanaged not a point illustrating a difficulty that was very great as an excuse/reason for the poor outcome of the affair).

Well, from what I heard I am under the impression the affair was pretty much inexcusably badly handled. However, was Bush in a position to make any difference? Since the president is generally considered to be the most powerful man/highest authority in the country, I'm assuming yes unless there some dramatic and very unusual things at hand at the time (like senate not agreeing or something for some odd reason)

Hurricane Local Statement for IKE - from National hurricane centre

LIFE THREATENING INUNDATION LIKELY!

ALL NEIGHBORHOODS...AND POSSIBLY ENTIRE COASTAL COMMUNITIES...

WILL BE INUNDATED DURING THE PERIOD OF PEAK STORM TIDE. PERSONS

NOT HEEDING EVACUATION ORDERS IN SINGLE FAMILY ONE OR TWO STORY

HOMES WILL FACE CERTAIN DEATH.

Wow certain death? That's a great weather forecast :)

I'd get the fark out of there.

Supposed to be high tidal surge.