List of Dune II Editing Tools

MrFlibble

I see nothing called "Bgafc" in that list, though.

BGAFC stands for "Bill Gates Anti-Fan Club". It's the Hungarian guys who did a Windows-based scenario editor. I think segra's DuneMaps is a newer and more powerful tool though (haven't tested it myself so I can't be sure. but it's supposed to generate terrain from seed numbers, while TCH's editor relies on extracted maps).

• 4 months later...

DuneMaps is a complete Scenario Editor for Dune II: a bit of patience and you can scan many seeds to choose the best terrain for your Missions.

To remember even the possibility to add spice blooms and spice fields more than the ones provided by default by the chosen seed. ;)

On 10/16/2014 at 11:19 PM, segra said:

Also on the seed topic, you can change the map seed and the map will change as you type (easy way to select a terrain)

Untitled.png

That's just awesomely cool :D

Edited by Nyerguds

• 3 months later...

Hello, does anyone still have a PAK creator, like WWPAK? The links above don't work anymore and i can't find it on the net.

I'm looking for it because i have the (maybe rare) italian/spanish version of Dune II, and i'd like to try if it works with Dune Legacy or Dune Dynasty. Problem is that it comes with the *.FRE and *.GER files unpacked, instead of the FRENCH.PAK and GERMAN.PAK file (french files actually contain italian text and german actually contain spanish). Maybe repacking them...

To the best of my knowledge, there's only one version of WWPAK (BTW, here's the original distribution - maybe you'll add it to your FTP, Nyer?). There is a known bug in that it corrupts WSA files when unpacking them. But I don't think I've ever had any problems with it packing files back into an archive (I used XCC Mixer to extract the files). Also WWPAK seems to run equally well natively on 16 or 32-bit machines and in DOSBox.

• 7 months later...

Given the fact dune2.dk is down... could you replace the link for the Dune 2 Tile Editor with this one?

http://nyerguds.arsaneus-design.com/dune/dune2tools/Dune2TileEditor(Beta)-zerobased.zip

The thread link is also corrupt due to the forum upgrades; it should be

http://forum.dune2k.com/topic/19099-format80-decompression/?p=337181

• 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...

Hey, I'm sorry for not responding, I've been checking the forums here sporadically recently, and totally missed your posts on the subject.

It's cool that you've made your own editor, considering that CTPAX-CHEATER's is not public (and IIRC some features are not fully implemented).

[Edit] Added it to the list :)

• 3 weeks later...

My editor is loads more advanced than that one anyway. You can do stuff like changing the palette that's being used to view the font, and pasting symbols into it from the clipboard, which will then be matched to that palette. I've recently used that to make an adapted version of the C&C1 "Mission Accomplished" font. Making something like that, with the glow texture on the letters, would've taken ages in CTPAX-CHEATER's old editor ;)

vcr.png

Edited by Nyerguds

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I've been having loads of fun with that tool lately :)

Oh... the information in your post says WSA contains "the frame rate at which the animation is played". This is wrong; play rates are determined purely by the program. The thing previously mistaken as being frame rate related is actually a buffer size saved into the file.

I will release full specs of the WSA format and all SHP formats on the modding wiki when I got some time.

Side note: the WW Font Editor also has a wiki page, here ;)

By the way, you should check the links in that post... some of them are broken, and some refer to threads on this forum from before the url format changed.

[edit]

Seems this listing is a great help for finding old topic IDs... but sadly it doesn't have all that many of them. Could use the old forumn indices too of course and check all the actual topic links on it.

https://web.archive.org/web/*/http://forum.dune2k.com/index.php?topic=*

Seems a large part of these redirect problems was that between 2009 and 2010 the forum was closed to guests, and I think that's when a few consecutive forum upgrades messed up all old URLs...

[edit]

Found the one that redirects to the new IDs :)

https://web.archive.org/web/*/http://forum.dune2k.com/smf.php?topic=*

Edited by Nyerguds
  • Like 1

Big thanks for finding correct URLs,  I just couldn't find the time to fix this -- the entire forum messed up after the upgrade, that was literally demoralising.

I also fixed the download link for Siberian String Table Editor. Currently Siberian_GRemlin's site is down, not sure if permanently, but it's accessible via the Wayback Machine, and the files repository is so far online. Would be nice if you mirrored his editor if you haven't already. (I just force-saved it to the WM JIC.)

Woah, weird, SibGRem's site worked fine when I made this list :o

As for the strings editor... yeah, good idea. I'm actually working on my own, but currently it can only read the simple format used in C&C, and at the moment my focus shifted to documenting the SHP formats on the Shikadi wiki. (two done, one to go!)

Edited by Nyerguds
  • Like 1