Olympic Medal Count or GO Canada GO!!!

Tatar Khan

GO CANADA!

Just finished working 11 hours. 1 30 min break for lunch and now eating supper at 9PM.

Watching opening ceremonies.

you add to the title Khan? I don't remember the last part when I first saw the thread. :)

Either way it is awesome :)

The French get what they richly deserve for their trash talking. 

lol, haven't had time to sit down and watch anything aside from the initial ceremony yet (that was spectacular wasn't it?), but anyway....that swim race where the US beat France is all they've been showing on the news today.  The victory fist pump was very epic in slow motion.

lol yeah it was epic.  And I have to agree, the opening ceremony had me riveted.  The Chinese pulled it off with such flair and style, and the sheer efficiency too!!

Phelps just got another gold, and a Korean man got a very well deserved silver.  I thought he almost had Phelps, but lost by a second-ish.

Go Canada!

Still 0 medals.

Supposedly a Canadian fencer did something bad. I missed the video of what it was she did.

Here's an article

Schalm anything but calm after Olympic fencing loss

"It's like I imagine being a man. It's like being kicked in the nuts repeatedly, that's how bad it feels. You feel like you want to curl up and die," Schalm, competing in her third Olympics, said after the loss.

Umm, is that all? Non story.

I guess she was ranked 5th, but was put out in first round (so like 16th place?)

Officials: Dancer paralyzed. Organizers take flak for belated reporting

Chinese gov hoped to sweep it under the rug. Then there were the fake fireworks, the lip syncing singer... Sounds like a terrible opening ceremonies. There was even a BSOD projected onto one of the roof walls.

Canada is still at 0! Maybe they are saving all the wins for Vancouver 2010?

I did not hear about the fake fireworks, what I did hear was about the filming of the fireworks during the rehearsal due to the fact that media could not have been inside and outside the stadium at the same time and to make the show work properly as it did.

Second of all the Opening Ceremony was not there to impress the West as it was there to impress the Third World and to show what China accomplished. Not too much controversy is being sparked over the another kid singing (which was obvious when I was watching the ceremony the lips did not match) or that someone fell during the rehearsals. Most of the world will say so what accidents happen. You need to have a good looking kid representing the nation. Third world is not the western world where all kids are beautiful. I grew up in Russia, they made fun of fat kids and ugly kids. The fact how are they are on the inside did not matter, people judged by the look. I don't think that in Third World countries we will find anything radically different.

Media is just running out of stuff to shock people with (oil is going down, markets are stabilizing, no serious screw ups during the Olympics). Chinese are doing great in Olympics (better than everyone else) so they are running some stories to make themselves feel good that at least they are better than Chinese (we do not discriminate people based on their appearances, we report all our accidents on time).

Minority ethnic groups used in Games' opening were fake

Darn western media trying to find everything wrong with China. China should be able to say something and everyone else should not question it.

Also, anyone hear how Myanmar is doing after that typhoon? I think the media abandoned it once it become unprofitable.

In China news agencies only able to show what the government wants, in America news agencies only show what is profitable. Both have censorship.

Chinese media: Tienanmen square? That never happened.

American media: Federal deficit this year is going to be *omg missing white girl newsflash*

:D

I find it rather amusing (not) how, during the volleyball games for example, the audience always boos or makes some sort of humming noise whenever the Japanese team is serving. Sound stops as soon as the ball is in play.

Good sportsmanship, that.

Jia you, Beijing! ::)

There is nothing interesting about it. The reason for that is because Chinese hate Japanese for all the things they done during the WWII and 2 years before that. Also last time I checked Japan never issued apologies neither to prisoners of war or to the Chinese, even better some members of the government completely deny that anything bad happened and say it is all a lie.

Your response is most interesting.

Who exactly did you imagine you were providing with new information with that? If it was me, please disabuse yourself of that silly notion. I've lived here for twenty years and I know very well what kind of shit the Japanese pull and what their various governments have and have not done or owned up to over the years.

So much for the Olympics not being about politics, eh!

Edit:

This has bothered me all day. Basically you're saying it's OK for the Chinese to act as bad Olympic hosts because of what the Japanese government and army did over half a century ago. I think that's bullshit if the Olympic ideal is to mean anything at all.

The Japanese athletes that are in China now were not alive during WWII; they're not responsible for what happened. And just because Japan is now called a democracy, don't be so naive as to believe that the actions of its successive governments reflect the will of its people.

This has bothered me all day. Basically you're saying it's OK for the Chinese to act as bad Olympic hosts because of what the Japanese government and army did over half a century ago. I think that's bullshit if the Olympic ideal is to mean anything at all.

Freedom of expression. Olympics is just another political forum. The medals are the currency of respect you get from the third world.

The Japanese athletes that are in China now were not alive during WWII; they're not responsible for what happened.

True but Chinese want to send the message that they have not forgotten. The majority of Germans that are alive today also have no relation to Holocaust but German government is paying reparation to the survivors and their families.

And just because Japan is now called a democracy, don't be so naive as to believe that the actions of its successive governments reflect the will of its people.

Well it still doesn't absolve them. John Locke said that if the government is not responsible to its people people have the right to overthrow/change the government. Since there is nothing of that sort is being done in japan that means people are happy with their government and its actions.

"The medals are the currency of respect you get from the third world."

Goord, can I quote that about? It's the kind of idiotic comment that works wonderfully as a non sequitur otherwheres.

A smattering of political theory and naivet