Dune Legacy is dead, long live Doon Lunacy!

dvalin

Ahoi!

I just felt like dropping by and tell people that the Dune Legacy project is fully active again under a new name and with a new project home at https://code.launchpad.net/doonlunacy .

We've renamed the project name to avoid possible trademark issues with the Dino de Laurentis company, scratched the old and messy codebase, switched from subversion to bazaar, ditched usage of modified data in favor of doing all drawing operations etc. in memory using the original, unmodified data (thus avoiding copyright issues as well).

Currently it's not playable quite yet, but most of the hard work has been done and the code quality is quite nice now for anyone who wants to help out contributing. People can try build and test the game and get first impressions, give feedback, help out with artwork (mrflibble, we need your help!smile.png etc.

We hope to do a new and fully playable release at the end of the summer, so stay tuned! smile.png

Hi there :) Long time no see.

Good to hear Dune Doon Legacy lives on ;D Will be glad to help

help out with artwork (mrflibble, we need your help!:)

Tell me your wish ;)

BTW, some time ago you mentioned that the project has its own functional seed map generator for Dune II. I think many people would be interested in having it :)

Hi there :) Long time no see.

Good to hear Dune Doon Legacy lives on ;D Will be glad to help

Tell me your wish ;)

BTW, some time ago you mentioned that the project has its own functional seed map generator for Dune II. I think many people would be interested in having it :)

Yes, we have it working, people can find the source in the bazaar repository (see src/Map*.cpp).

We've also started work on splitting out the data handling code to a separate library making it available to others as well, could be useful for others in creating various tools. :)

The source for the library is named 'libeastwood' and available at https://code.launchpad.net/~doonlunacy/doonlunacy/nostalgialib (nostalgialib was the initial name, been renamed since).

For help with artwork, currently we're trying to just bring us up to the previous state wrt. to the graphics you created, but by drawing it all in memory in stead using the original data. There's some glitches etc. that doesn't look as good as the original ones you did, would be nice if you could help out with this etc., we also need to design some more interface graphics (ie. options menu etc.), some questions to be answered regarding some font stuff etc.

We're hanging out at #dunelegacy @ irc.freenode.net as usual, would be great if you were to swing by. :)

For help with artwork, currently we're trying to just bring us up to the previous state wrt. to the graphics you created, but by drawing it all in memory in stead using the original data. There's some glitches etc. that doesn't look as good as the original ones you did, would be nice if you could help out with this etc., we also need to design some more interface graphics (ie. options menu etc.), some questions to be answered regarding some font stuff etc.

Heh, I just realized that I did all that graphics quite some time ago :) I'll sure have to remember some things ;)

So you basically want to transform bits of original graphics into the new ones, right? This is probably doable, although a bit tricky because, IIRC the letters tend to overlap each other, concealing parts of the contour that is used to create an illusion of them being carved in stone. Anyhow, what exactly could I do to help you in this matter? Does it involve designing bits of letters the original graphical text does not contain?

Heh, I just realized that I did all that graphics quite some time ago :) I'll sure have to remember some things ;)

So you basically want to transform bits of original graphics into the new ones, right? This is probably doable, although a bit tricky because, IIRC the letters tend to overlap each other, concealing parts of the contour that is used to create an illusion of them being carved in stone. Anyhow, what exactly could I do to help you in this matter? Does it involve designing bits of letters the original graphical text does not contain?

Yes, it's mostly done already. For the letters, yes, designing the missing ones are needed.

I haven't put very much thought into it, IIRC you've done some of this with the old graphics already, so I'm figuring that you should be able to figure out something easier than me. :)

I'd recommend you to do a checkout of the current source which will show you what's already been done and what exactly etc.

ps: I'm not a big fan of forums, if you'd happen to stop by irc, it'd be much better. :)

Really? forums have the huge advantage that you can look up stuff in old discussions.

yeah, but they have the huge disadvantage of not being realtime ;)

Explaining and discussing things with lots of details and questions to be answered sucks on forums. :P

For this topic, I don't think it's that interesting to others, nor much interest in involving them. ;)

dvalin, here are some Dune 2 font templates I made when working on DL and D2TM GUI a while ago - perhaps they can help you sort out some problems. There are two files, one for a remapable font, the other for the gold-on-blue one used in the Mentat menu.

Notice that I made some letters from scratch, and some were "borrowed" from a Russian Dune 2 remake, whereas the trilingual version of Dune 2 has "official" variants of those letters used in French or German languages. Also, not all of the alphabet is present, as I didn't make the letters I had no use for. I haven't updated the templates since 2005, but I think I'll do that in near future, should you really find them useful.

Dune2Fonts.zip