Dune - Extended Edition

bob_fox

• 3 weeks later...

I've decided that I far prefer the theatrical version. Although I miss the extra scenes, such as the music scene with Halleck and the one with Paul killing Jamis, the extended version feels completely muddled.

So there you have it: my final evaluation. The extended version is worth seeing, but is no worthwhile replacement.

(By the way, I've seen they have an HD-DVD version of Dune at Amazon. Too bad I only have a Blu-ray player.)

• 1 month later...

I also prefer the theatrical version of Dune as well. The added scenes in the extended version were not completed with special effects. For example, some the Fremen don't have there blue eyes. I also did not like the overlapping music in some of the scenes as well. Its like listening to two songs at once. The extended version seemed put together sloppy to me.

I love the extra scenes that were included in the DVD. Thufir's death was my favorate and explained why he was suddenly missing at the end of the movie.

One good thing about the the DVD is that we get see the extended version in widescreen. That's one thing that I was looking forword to when I bought it.:D

A neat piece of trivia for those of us from the 80s.  The guy who plays Jamis in the extended version is the same guy who played Mickey (the criminal guy) in PeeWee's Big Adventure.  What's also funny is the reason he's "running" in Peewee's Big Adventure is because he cut one of those tags off a mattress with a knife...maybe it was a crysknife?

• 1 month later...

If they would put in some scenes, like the fight with Jamis, Thufir dying and the Gurney music scene, leave out some of the reused footage, like the Harkonnen landing craft scene, and fix the synching (only a problem on my DVD?), I would be quite satisfied.