Losing hard disk space RAPIDLY. Help needed.

Okay, here's what's happened:

Upon installed the latest video card drivers on my laptop, together with .NET 2.0 framework needed to run the application, I've run into a serious problem.

Upon installing, my C: hard disk space dropped from 4 gb to about 3.5gb. I wanted to undo everything because I didn't want the hard disk space consumption, so I did 3 system restores (the first 2 failed for no particular reason). Now I'm facing 2.5gb.

Tell me, where on earth did ALL the hard disk space go to? I'm already losing my patience over this issue.

Edit: What I had just done is to reduce the space set aside for system restore, from 12% to 5%. This was supposed to reduce the space taken from 1.8GB to 600+MB (difference of 1.2GB). However, what happened was that my C: sprang up from 2.5gb to 5.4gb, much bigger than I had expected. Anybody able to explain this phenomenon?

Reducing your system restore space will save you lots of hard drive space.

Asuuming you had system restore at 12% and had it that way for several months, that means that 12% of hard drive would be used for system restore.

I'm not exactly sure what phenomenon you are referring to. Reducing amount of hard drive space system restore can use will free up lots of hard drive space. It probably varies with each system restore point how much each one uses.

Okay, I've run into another problem, having increased the disk space by reducing the system restore percentage.

After rolling my drivers back, my computer would flash black for about a second after the desktop icons appear. I'd find out that my setting to stretch the display to fit panel and yet maintain aspect ratio (to allow me to play non-widescreen games properly) would be reset to not stretch at all. I've to do this each time as the setting seems to be reset each time it starts up. How can I fix this problem?

I have a feeling the flicker is essentially the resetting of the video settings... and it resets each time it starts up.

Edit: After uninstalling and then reinstalling the driver, the problem was resolved. I'll lock this thread.