Dune2K - High Resolution

CCHyper

If you get a "file not found" error, then that obviously means a certain file is not found. The game didn't crash, it just exited because it couldn't find a file that was needed to continue the game process.

A crash is an unhandled error. Something that the programmers never thought would occur, and didn't make a specific error message for. They typically happen when some internal variable in the program that is used to access a certain instruction or memory address has a wrong value, like 0, that's totally outside its reserved memory limits.

If you get a "file not found" error, then that obviously means a certain file is not found. The game didn't crash, it just exited because it couldn't find a file that was needed to continue the game process.

A crash is an unhandled error. Something that the programmers never thought would occur, and didn't make a specific error message for. They typically happen when some internal variable in the program that is used to access a certain instruction or memory address has a wrong value, like 0, that's totally outside its reserved memory limits.

well said, i retract my comment.

and mvi was sick with the flu.........

and mvi was sick with the flu.........

You'll be pleased to know that I'm finally transferring data from my broken laptop to my work pc, only four hours left of copying :-/ when I get a chance I'll be sure to finish off that Mission Editor beta now that I can work on it

• 2 weeks later...

From a programmer's point of view, it's easier to just make everything hardcoded. The only game we managed to get in hi-res so far is C&C95, which is actually not surprising since it was already a remake of a game that was originally in 320x200, so they had to add some resolution-changing logic into it ANYWAY.

You'd expect the same from Red Alert 1, since it also has a 320x200 DOS version and 640x400 Windows version, but there you have to keep in mind that it was made as two different parallel programs. They never needed to adapt the DOS version to Windows or vice versa, they just made 1 game with 2 different user interfaces.

(that, and RA1 was made before WW made the 640x480 Gold remake of C&C1, meaning C&C95 uses a more recent version of the graphical engine)

Odd fact... C&C95 still contains tons of code for 320x200 support :P

From a programmer's point of view, it's easier to just make everything hardcoded. The only game we managed to get in hi-res so far is C&C95, which is actually not surprising since it was already a remake of a game that was originally in 320x200, so they had to add some resolution-changing logic into it ANYWAY.

You'd expect the same from Red Alert 1, since it also has a 320x200 DOS version and 640x400 Windows version, but there you have to keep in mind that it was made as two different parallel programs. They never needed to adapt the DOS version to Windows or vice versa, they just made 1 game with 2 different user interfaces.

(that, and RA1 was made before WW made the 640x480 Gold remake of C&C1, meaning C&C95 uses a more recent version of the graphical engine)

Odd fact... C&C95 still contains tons of code for 320x200 support :P

it should also be noted the game is 10 years old!

I doubt they could predict resolutions of the future....even then the hassle to code it?

it should also be noted the game is 10 years old!

I doubt they could predict resolutions of the future....even then the hassle to code it?

it has nothing to do with which resolutions to switch to. With the res switching code I got for C&C95, I can make it take any resolution I want. As Hyper said, variable allocation.

The point isn't that you can program more resolutions into it, the point is to make the whole interface adapt to whatever resolution you decide to run the game in.

Assuming the game even supports loading in graphics larger than its native resolution, the UI Layouts can all be changed, the only issue is that they wouldn't adapt to different resolutions, would be fairly straight forward to rescale graphics and positions/rectangles with the use of some custom tools/scripts, and the rest could be as simple as editing in game variables. Just as Nyerguds said, I think it would be difficult to come up with an adaptive system without significant changes.

would be fairly straight forward to rescale graphics

"rescale graphics"?? ??? Why on earth would we do that? It'd be a load of trouble to get that working, and the game would look exactly the same...

Basic rule in this... if the game has no function to do it already, you either can't do it at all or have to program the entire thing into the game yourself, in basic CPU commands. I doubt Dune 2000 has any functions for scaling the loaded graphics. Also, it would probably look pretty ugly.

As for "supporting loading large graphics", that's a problem I had with the elongated C&C95 sidebar (I just replaced its graphics). It was fixed simply by increasing the memory buffer used for it. This might give problems in D2k though. I have no idea if it's possible to replace or add graphics in it with the current tools.

An adaptive system would really be the logical way to do this, even if the UI only has 2 real modes. You can work in exceptions to get around that. It's really a lot easier to make it support all resolutions than to program support for 2 resolutions into every fricking function.

For example, in C&C95 I make it load XTITLE.PCX instead of HTITLE.PCX as main menu background if the global width variable is larger than 640. A similar thing could be used for these UI-describing files D2k uses. Simply make new files for the high res, and put code in he game to select the right one depending on the set resolution.