Dune2K - High Resolution

CCHyper

Can the patch be set at any resolution? It works fine at 1024x600.

When I was trying to fix it yesterday, sometimes it would go fast and sometimes it would go slow.

Can the patch be set at any resolution? It works fine at 1024x600.

When I was trying to fix it yesterday, sometimes it would go fast and sometimes it would go slow.

My script-part can take any resolution. N.Kindt's patch I'm not sure, but I believe the limit is 1920x1080 with also any resolution in between you can think of, however dune 2000 or your videocard might not support it?

I thought for a bit it wouldn't work, but I did a fresh install like it says to in the readme file, and now (at the moment) I am playing it on 1280x800. Looks Great! I tried my native res of 1680x1050 but it doesn't look good - the tileset is all messy. Why didn't I get a monitor with 1920x1080 res! *grumbles*

I thought for a bit it wouldn't work, but I did a fresh install like it says to in the readme file, and now (at the moment) I am playing it on 1280x800. Looks Great! I tried my native res of 1680x1050 but it doesn't look good - the tileset is all messy. Why didn't I get a monitor with 1920x1080 res! *grumbles*

Yes, I can't wait to see what Dune 2000 at 1080p looks like!

You can try 1600x900, I posted other resolutions here: http://forum.dune2k.com/topic/19636-dune2k-high-resolution/?p=380857

My monitors max res is 1024x600 and if I set Dune to that, it freezes for a bit sometimes and sometimes stops working. Also, it seems to stop the flickering issue I have with Dune, but at 800x600 it works fine. Odd.

yeah tried 1600x900, it didn't work, but 1280x800 is fine until 1680x1050 is working, or until I start using my TV again as my monitor, which is full hi-def nyuck nyuck nyuck!

yeah tried 1600x900, it didn't work, but 1280x800 is fine until 1680x1050 is working, or until I start using my TV again as my monitor, which is full hi-def nyuck nyuck nyuck!

That's strange, I tried on two PC's (with ati graphics card) and both work with 1600x900. What 'didn't work', what did you see? Just the bad tileset problem again?

N.Kindt, could the cause of some resolutions working, and others not, be caused by the videocard and could it perhaps be simply fixed by changing "some" settings in the videocard?

For the next version I also tried editing the power bar and I think I'm able to put it on the bottom of the gameplay UI, however the size of the power level (green, yellow, red) is still the same because that's generated by (I'm guessing) dune2000.dat.

Hmm, I just got an idea to perhaps fix the starport bug by making the starport purchase button extremely large (over the 4th building icons all the way to the bottom). Of course not stretched, but just black space. I'll see somewhere this week if that is possible and fixes the problem.

I got the power bar at the bottom and also the purchase starport button, but the hack to prevent crashing did not work. Took quite time some time to figure it out, the purchase button is suddenly 8bit with palette...

Will try to clean up the code and optimize patch before releasing next version. Here is a screen of the failed patch:

5rx1t.jpg

edit: I could use the hack to cover up building icons that aren't usable anyway. Perhaps I can get it to work for Upgrade menu also.

Edited by D2k Sardaukar
  • Upvote 1

Yes, monitors only support a limited set of fullscreen resolutions listed in Windows display settings. Others work only in windowed mode (check first pages on how to go windowed).

Looks like the game is not ment to be played on ratios other then 4:3 which gives tile artifacts. You should disable those in the script or give a warning to not confuse people.

• Upvote 1

Yes, video cards only support a limited set of fullscreen resolutions listed in Windows display settings. Others work only in windowed mode (check first pages on how to go windowed).

Looks like the game is not ment to be played on ratios other then 4:3 which gives tile artifacts. You should disable those in the script or give a warning to not confuse people.

Good idea to warn people, will add that!

I updated my script to version 1.1.1, it now also updates the .r8 files and you can purchase from the starport again. Could someone reply back if 8 bit mode works ok? On my pc 8 bit is acting a bit funky. If someone wants the python scripts, I will post them on the forum.

N.Kindt, I would like to help with fixing the last little crash bugs. Is there something I can do/test? Would you perhaps also like to share more about how you did the hacking, like what software, where to look at, etc?

Some extra info:

Supported and not supported resolutions:

720x480 x

720x576 x

800x600 v

1024x768 v

1152x864 v

1280x720 v

1280x768 v

1280x800 v

1280x960 v

1280x1024 v

1360x768 x

1360x1024 x

1366x768 x

1400x1050 x

1440x900 v

1600x900 v

1680x1050 x

1920x1080 v

640x480 works fine also

Updated my patch to version 1.1.2. Biggest improvement is that it patches way faster.

Version 1.1.2:	1) Power bar at bottom and style fixed.	2) Unusable building icons hidden when in starport menu (dark overlay image works 		as purchase button also).	3) Starport purchase button placed at bottom.... should it stay there?	4) Improved image editing "algorithm" makes patching way faster.	5) Removed 8 bit support.	6) Width and height check before patching.

Download: http://forum.dune2k.com/topic/19636-dune2k-high-resolution/?p=380752

• Upvote 2

N.Kindt, what did you do to building icons way of displaying? Not to sound harsh, but I'm missing the very thin line (of the background image) between the two columns.  This line:

attachicon.gifline.png

Maybe i calculated the offset wrong by one pixel. How many pixels are missing?

I like it how you got rid of the slots in upgrade/starport below original limit. Looks good and would save me work to extend it (i am very short on time recently).

Thank you for the offer, sabitov. At the moment I'm having fun and no problems with programming, so I don't need help. I'm programming in Python by the way. If you like, you could however do some testing if my patch works ok. I can't speak for N.kindt or mvi, but they perhaps could use some help with hacking Dune 2000. There are still two critical bugs remaining, the other 'bugs' are just cosmetic. Or perhaps you discover a different critical bug?

Bug 1: Right mouse button click below 4th building icon in upgrade menu gives crash.

Bug 2: Mouse hover over starport menu below 4th building icon gives crash.

Bug 2 makes gameplay almost not do-able because it kinda feels random, bug 1 can be acceptable if you know about it.

Edited by D2k Sardaukar

My code does (width - 138) which results in 886. Should x be 884 instead?

I can't speak for N.kindt or mvi, but they perhaps could use some help with hacking Dune 2000. There are still two critical bugs remaining, the other 'bugs' are just cosmetic.

I'm good. What i would like to have is the time to sit down and actually work on it but nobody can help me with that i'm afraid. :(

Just found another "bug".
In multiplayer, if i or my friend played for atreides house, and used three airplane "dragonflys", we get "connection error" and disconnect game. Bug is persistent.
Game without patch this bug not have. I don't tested this bug in singleplayer. However i think there will also be a problem. As soon i check bug i will write about result.

2 D2k Sardaukar
I guess, i can test d2k patch on works out. If You send me what necessary to test. :)

2 N.Kindt
Unfortunately i don't know disassembler and reverse engineering.
Maybe I can help you with testing?

And please excuse me for my English.)

upd:

Singleplayer is not have a this bug.

Edited by sabitov

Just found another "bug".
In multiplayer, if i or my friend played for atreides house, and used three airplane "dragonflys", we get "connection error" and disconnect game. Bug is persistent.
Game without patch this bug not have. I don't tested this bug in singleplayer. However i think there will also be a problem. As soon i check bug i will write about result.

2 D2k Sardaukar
I guess, i can test d2k patch on works out. If You send me what necessary to test. :)

2 N.Kindt
Unfortunately i don't know disassembler and reverse engineering.
Maybe I can help you with testing?

And please excuse me for my English.)

upd:

Singleplayer is not have a this bug.

Did you also try a higher version of the game? Version 1.06?

Damn this game is gonna get played now! I just patched it to 1600x900 (1680x1050 still wont behave :() and it looks amazing! Time to play some old school Dune! Back when it was decent! Thankyou so much for making this patch!

• Upvote 1