Dune2K - High Resolution

CCHyper

Kinda strange that only the background images are not centred. Might be a bug in the high resolution patch or a mistake in the mod. You could try to run the high resolution patch again, but if that does not work you could try looking at what the patcher says. If it does not contain the names of those background images, something is broken.

The mod uses custom background images and your program patches them fine, the new version of the installer is setup to simply call your patch program and then copy the prepatched images over (the new files related to the mod that your patcher will not know to look for).

The issue being displayed here looks like the game was installed normally followed by the update to 1.6.1.5,  and then the high resolution patch was run manually, which meant the update program installed the background image at the old resolution, instead of installing the patched image.

That's cool but if 720p is not possible then remastering the movies is not something I could do sadly. :( The best thing that can be done about the position issues seems to be simply stretching the videos to full screen (just the videos of course). The difference between the original 16:10 aspect ratio and 16:9 is not that huge, the videos don't look bad especially when compared to having to watch them in the top left corner. :D

Anyway as for the 720p resolution being native or not during gameplay, to me it seems native. I did a quick comparison between how the game looks in OpenRA and with the High Res patch and it's pretty much identical:

Notice how much better the game looks with the high res patch... OpenRA has a long way to go indeed.

OpenRA looks better other then the menus to me.

• Upvote 1

The mod uses custom background images and your program patches them fine, the new version of the installer is setup to simply call your patch program and then copy the prepatched images over (the new files related to the mod that your patcher will not know to look for).

The issue being displayed here looks like the game was installed normally followed by the update to 1.6.1.5,  and then the high resolution patch was run manually, which meant the update program installed the background image at the old resolution, instead of installing the patched image.

That's exactly how it was done. I've seen that you have two options in the installer with the high res patch included: 1024x768 or 1920x1080. I can't do anything with those (I have a 24" 16:9 aspect ratio monitor and 1080p just makes everything way too small) so I chose not to install the patch through there but just manually apply it after the patching was done through the launcher and of course this was the result. :D

Can I get around this problem if I install the game and the patch some other way so that I could play in 720p (which is the way it's meant to be played really if you don't have a 30" display at least)?

That's exactly how it was done. I've seen that you have two options in the installer with the high res patch included: 1024x768 or 1920x1080. I can't do anything with those (I have a 24" 16:9 aspect ratio monitor and 1080p just makes everything way too small) so I chose not to install the patch through there but just manually apply it after the patching was done through the launcher and of course this was the result. :D

Can I get around this problem if I install the game and the patch some other way so that I could play in 720p (which is the way it's meant to be played really if you don't have a 30" display at least)?

I would need to provide the image files patched to that resolution, so it would need to be done on my end. What resolution are you trying to run it at. 1280x720?

I would need to provide the image files patched to that resolution, so it would need to be done on my end. What resolution are you trying to run it at. 1280x720?

Had a little time so I figured it out and made 1280x720 resolution versions of the original files, applied the high res patch, replaced the original files with the ones I made and now it works. Feel free to try it out to see if I didn't mess up anything and replaced all the files needed (they are in 16bit TGA):

http://www.mediafire.com/download/im6k8ceche9acyv/gm.rar

Here's a screenshot:

pjSaHJ7.png

• 3 months later...

Thank you for posting the error. The d2kplus.com website has over 10000 downloads for the high resolution patch, but I get almost no feedback. I think you might have an edited or unknown .uil (user interface layout) file where the location data is in a different format than the code expects it to be. Did you mod the game? If so, you need to find the 'damaged' .uil file. If you did not mod the game, perhaps you have an unknown language version, you could zip the UI_DATA folder in the data folder and upload it so I can see where it breaks. Also make sure the game is the latest version: 1.06 (patch is on this website and you can check your version in the main game screen right bottom corner).

A faster way would be to download the game with build-in high resolution patch: http://gruntmods.com/?page_id=19

Another way is to get a clean working Dune 2000 version from here: http://www.abandonia.com/en/games/27329/Dune+2000.html

Update it from here: http://forum.dune2k.com/files/category/15-patches/ (US version)

Apply high resolution patch or use .exe from link below (from funkyfresh)

If you don't like installers you can download only the upgraded exe (from funkyfresh) from here (also called patch): http://forum.dune2k.com/topic/26661-new-patching-framework/ Use the generated .ini file or the config tool (on same forum page) to adjust the resolution of the game.

• 1 month later...

Hello

I installed the high resolution patch and my game crash at the start but when i install the patch i have no error or fail. I run dune on win 7 32 bits and before i installed the high resolution patch i have installed the 1.06 patch, the lan patch and the build queue patch and at this point the game works perfectly but if i try to add the high resolution patch the game crash. I need helps !!!

sorry for my english i am a french guy =)

• 3 months later...

昨晚闊別近20年,我重玩沙丘2000,打通了Atreides的第9關

然後就開始google,想要找到一起分享這個心情的朋友,然後發現了你們,非常感謝,非常感動

整晚沒有睡,從第1頁看到了38頁,你們1年多以來的進展和內容,你們的努力

我只想說在中國,這個你們從沒來過的國家,也許在你們眼裡還有些神秘或者落後的國度,也有和你們一樣的玩家

再次感謝,很希望能和你們做朋友,雖然一定看不懂我在說什麼

我說的話我都會用google翻譯,希望能幫助你們理解我說了什麼

PS.我在北京 twitter or facebook:@miyavirolling

Last night after an absence of nearly 20 years, I re-play Dune 2000, opened the ninth off Atreides
Then began to google, i want to find a friend to share in the mood, then find this forum, thank you very much, very moved
i am not sleep all night, from the page 1 to 38, you progress and content of more than 1 year since your efforts
I just want to say that in China, you've never been to this country, and perhaps also some mystery in your eyes or behind the country, there are players like you
Thanks again, I hope to be able to be friends with you all, although some do not understand what I'm saying
I will use google translate, hoping to help you understand what I'm saying
PS. im in beijing
twitter or facebook:@miyavirolling
  • Upvote 2

昨晚闊別近20年,我重玩沙丘2000,打通了Atreides的第9關

然後就開始google,想要找到一起分享這個心情的朋友,然後發現了你們,非常感謝,非常感動

整晚沒有睡,從第1頁看到了38頁,你們1年多以來的進展和內容,你們的努力

我只想說在中國,這個你們從沒來過的國家,也許在你們眼裡還有些神秘或者落後的國度,也有和你們一樣的玩家

再次感謝,很希望能和你們做朋友,雖然一定看不懂我在說什麼

我說的話我都會用google翻譯,希望能幫助你們理解我說了什麼

PS.我在北京 twitter or facebook:@miyavirolling

Last night after an absence of nearly 20 years, I re-play Dune 2000, opened the ninth off Atreides
Then began to google, i want to find a friend to share in the mood, then find this forum, thank you very much, very moved
i am not sleep all night, from the page 1 to 38, you progress and content of more than 1 year since your efforts
I just want to say that in China, you've never been to this country, and perhaps also some mystery in your eyes or behind the country, there are players like you
Thanks again, I hope to be able to be friends with you all, although some do not understand what I'm saying
I will use google translate, hoping to help you understand what I'm saying
PS. im in beijing
twitter or facebook:@miyavirolling

Thank you for posting. I hope you enjoy playing Dune 2000. If you have question, just ask them on the forums. You might also want to try the mods on this forum.

in 1.4.1 with 800X600 resolution the "upgrde" and "starport" menu is not showing? it is clicking on 100px left (in map screen)?

is this bug fiixed in 800X600? if it is, not working for me?

I'm afraid you did something wrong, like using the patch on an old Dune2000 game that might already be patched with an old patch. Version 1.4.1 and 1.4.2 work correct, so also those buttons. You can also download the game already patched and improved from CnCNet: http://cncnet.org/

• 10 months later...

Hi!

New member here from Finland! Loving the patch but am facing a problem: Widescreen resolutions don't work for me. The game starts fine and can get a map to load but at 1280x800 the game just crashes when I scroll a little and at 1280x720 the game crashes and I get a window that says something about a loop. It's a bit odd. 4:3 resolutions work fine. The patch also complains when installing that I'm missing a "missions" folder. Is this needed or is this just for extra missions available for download?

Using Ver 1.06 with no other mods installed.

Br,

dan

• 4 years later...
On 11/7/2013 at 12:59 PM, Iran said:

You guys should take a look into patching cnc-ddraw to run under Dune 2000. It's a program mainly designed for C&C95 and RA95 to add support for windowed mode, running the game under OpenGL or GDI and it has a bunch other interesting stuff. It's open-source written in C and a ddraw.dll implementation. I'm not sure if it's applicable to Dune 2000, does the game use DirectDraw?

this is working cnc-ddraw for Dune 2000:

https://github.com/CnCNet

this is instruction on Russian but you can use page google translator:

https://rutracker.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=78507608#78507608

the algorithm xbrz-freescale looks like is the best.

• 1 year later...

Hello. I just registered because I have a problem with "High Resolution Patch 1.4.1". My Dune 2000 is the Spanish version v1.00. I update it to version v1.06. So that the high resolution patch does not give me an error, I copy the "MISSIONS" folder from the CD to the "DATA" folder of the installation. So I apply the patch for 1440x900. I start the game and the videos are seen in the upper left corner instead of centered (When I understood that 1.4.1 solved this, maybe I misunderstood). The fact is that I start the campaign mode with Atreides, the video appears, then the screen where they explain the mission to me and if I press START, it gives me an error and it goes to Windows. What am I doing wrong? By the way, if I apply "Mission queue" and "Mission Select Menu" and then install the High Resolution patch, the same thing happens to me.

On 11/10/2021 at 5:21 PM, Andreuenc02 said:

Hello. I just registered because I have a problem with "High Resolution Patch 1.4.1". My Dune 2000 is the Spanish version v1.00. I update it to version v1.06. So that the high resolution patch does not give me an error, I copy the "MISSIONS" folder from the CD to the "DATA" folder of the installation. So I apply the patch for 1440x900. I start the game and the videos are seen in the upper left corner instead of centered (When I understood that 1.4.1 solved this, maybe I misunderstood). The fact is that I start the campaign mode with Atreides, the video appears, then the screen where they explain the mission to me and if I press START, it gives me an error and it goes to Windows. What am I doing wrong? By the way, if I apply "Mission queue" and "Mission Select Menu" and then install the High Resolution patch, the same thing happens to me.

The High Resolution patch it's a heavily outdated thing that has many problems in the modern era (I cannot be 100% sure but I think the queue patch and res patch are exclusive? not really sure) but yeah, all those tools have some problems nowadays.

I suggest you to either pick gruntmods or dunemaster, both are more stable for modern windows and they have all the resolutions and several options to make the game work better (only thing it is not on them is the multiqueue, that was removed).

This is gruntmods.
https://gruntmods.com/dune_2000_gruntmods_edition/
It is the same game, not a remake or anything, is just a fancy name but at the end it is just the same game you can install with the original CD but the .exe has been modified so you can play it in modern windows withouth issues (or playing custom missions as imperials,fremen,mercs...) It includes a mission launcher which serve to play custom missions and custom campaigns (the originals too).

Or, dunemaster
https://dunemaster.webs.com/files
It is also the same game, although his size has been heavily reduced with the basic (no cutscenes, but for gruntmods you also have to download them individually) and it has some tools to play online, which is the focus of this version but it also works with campaigns (and it seems a bit more stable), although there is a small issue with the music.

If you need any more instructions check this video, which was done recently covering both.

Don't worry about the language of the game, I am Spanish too and the game is going to be in spanish (only exception the briefings from custom maps as those players, obviosly, write their stuff in english), but the core game will be in spanish, cutscenes in spanish and, overall, it is just the same game that you can install on the CD, nothing was modded.

Edited by Cm_blast