Dune2K - High Resolution

CCHyper

How did you high res it grand leo??

Desert i find with images.google
Carryall i find somewhere here

The Westwood logo looks a bit odd. Where did you get that?

i find it on images.google. Original size logo 2000x909, if you needed i can upload it here

• 4 weeks later...

Run the patch and choose 0 to undo the patch. Go to the file Dune 2000/data/ui_ger.r16 and rename it to UI_GER.R16. You can also change ui_ger.r8 to UI_GER.R8 for the 8bit version. Now just run the patch to the resolution you want. That should fix it. Thank you for reporting the bug, I just noticed in my code that I made a rookie mistake, it didn't accept lower case letters. If you can't figure out how to rename it, just undo the patch and download the new version here (or clicking on my signature): http://forum.dune2k.com/topic/19636-dune2k-high-resolution/page-15?p=380752 The new version should work properly, if not, please say so.

The menu you quoted is supposed to look like that. I haven't figured out where in the code it determines how it places/renders the world map (globe) so it is stuck at the left top corner for now.

If you have any ideas or bugs, please post them.

This german forum you are talking about, where is it, if I may ask?

The rename gives me scambled Menubar-graphics in game. but the 1.4.2 works flawless :).

i tested 1024x768, 1280x1024 and 1400x1050. It works very well. Thanks for.

now the buts.

• the 1.4.2 reports himself as 1.4.1 and
  • from the Patchlist only the ui_GER.R16 will be patched. If i try the Game in 8Bit Mode the old error comes again (no button activity)
And theres another ask is there any Way to fix the glitches if you switch from the programm away and switch back? I use multimonitorsystems, so it switches/defocus very easy. The game itself works, i can hear the music and the game responce, but nothing is to see only a scrambled resize. Its like an old Monitor can't work with the choosen resolution. But (!) it appears in the vanilla version also. So i should try in Window Mode?

The rename gives me scambled Menubar-graphics in game. but the 1.4.2 works flawless :).

i tested 1024x768, 1280x1024 and 1400x1050. It works very well. Thanks for.

now the buts.

• the 1.4.2 reports himself as 1.4.1 and
  • from the Patchlist only the ui_GER.R16 will be patched. If i try the Game in 8Bit Mode the old error comes again (no button activity)
And theres another ask is there any Way to fix the glitches if you switch from the programm away and switch back? I use multimonitorsystems, so it switches/defocus very easy. The game itself works, i can hear the music and the game responce, but nothing is to see only a scrambled resize. Its like an old Monitor can't work with the choosen resolution. But (!) it appears in the vanilla version also. So i should try in Window Mode?

Great that it works and you are a keen observer, because I did indeed forget to update the version number in the patcher itself.

I find it strange that it does not patch the .r8 file, because it should. Could you give me the exact names of all the files starting with UI_ or ui_ in the data folder. Also supply a screenshot of the error you get.

About the switching/defocus problem. You could try the following, but I'm afraid it won't do anything.

2.1.2. Display only appears in top 1/3rd of screen.

If this happens please add the "-g" option to the command line for Dune 2000. Please refer to

2.1.1 for details on how to do this.

2.1.3. Video Flicker during play

If the video display flickers during the game every 20 seconds or so then this can be

prevented by adding "-f" to the command line for Dune 2000. Please refer to 2.1.1 for details

on how to do this

You can change the compatibility of DUNE2000.EXE to older windows versions, but to me it never did anything.

If you want to get more adventures you can open DUNE2000.DAT with XVI32 (for example) or IDA (Pro free) and hack it. At hex location A3088 (file offset) the Windows (window) dwstyle starts (currently it's 00 00 00 90) and change it to 00 00 00 00 . Here are other possible values: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/ms632600%28v=vs.85%29.aspx

Great that it works and you are a keen observer, because I did indeed forget to update the version number in the patcher itself.

It's just a note, i forgot it also sometimes by compiling a new revision.

I find it strange that it does not patch the .r8 file, because it should. Could you give me the exact names of all the files starting with UI_ or ui_ in the data folder. Also supply a screenshot of the error you get.

• UI_ENG.r16
  • UI_ENG.r8
  • ui_GER.r16
  • ui_GER.r8
maybe i said it not clear. There is no error, it is simply not patched, in the patching list it counts, the english UI Files and the german ui_GER.r16 but not the r8. And if i change to 8Bit (i think the most don't play with it) the buttonpositions are wrong, like the not patched before. Maybe its a typo or a loop that stops after three runs. It's not critical, just a note for a later revision.

About the switching/defocus problem. You could try the following, but I'm afraid it won't do anything.

You can change the compatibility of DUNE2000.EXE to older windows versions, but to me it never did anything.

If you want to get more adventures you can open DUNE2000.DAT with XVI32 (for example) or IDA (Pro free) and hack it. At hex location A3088 (file offset) the Windows (window) dwstyle starts (currently it's 00 00 00 90) and change it to 00 00 00 00 . Here are other possible values: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/ms632600(v=vs.85).aspx

Yeah, i know. i wrote it not as requirement, just a loud thinking. Thanks for the reference, maybe i will play with it. actually i use DxWnd for. Its slower but works, even with patched resolutions. :)

@dauwe

i put it in the same folder as the DUNE2000.exe but the patch said "Can't find DUNE2000.exe..." i have DUNE200 German 1.06

As written in the manual and notes. The "High Resolution Patch" Folder must inside the Dune2000 Folder, not the patch itself. It refers to the other folders in this way.

Edited by GUN
  • Upvote 1

• 2 months later...

Hi ! 

When i try to patch dune2k (clean, eng, v1.06) with hiresmod I get this b3d46ceccd46.jpg

And I have no idea how to fix it. Somebody please help.

looks like your install is missing aacct.tga based on that error, but d2ksadukar should know more then me about it, being that he wrote it :p

• Upvote 1

D2k Sardaukar, of course NOT!!!!!  I just  copied both .exe files from High Resolution Patch folder directly  to D2k folder. it was silly of me... Thank you so much for help! May the spice be with you!

• Upvote 1

Hello.
Me and my friend we have a problem using High Res. Patch. 
The problem is "Game out of sync". This happens only when someone launches Ornitopters airstrike. 

I read in description of this patch that every player must have equal screen resolution. But the thing is.... this problem appeared recently. We managed to play with this patch for almost several weeks without any issues. And I don't know the reason why it's started. 
My native resolution: 1920x1080 (but in patch I use 1280x720, 'cause this way all units are not so small)
She have laptop with 1366x768 resolution. 

And somehow we played without such error before. 

Then... we tryed to uninstall patch to make sure that this error because of this patch. And yes, uninstalling the patch solves the problem. But we can't play without patch! Becouse otherwise everything becomes big and stretched. 
She also have monitor with 1680x1050 and by choosing such variant - we again have this error Out of Sync.
To activate LAN game we put 2 files in the directory with the game. The files are named dpipsx.dll and wsock32.dll. 
We are using Hamachi. 

Can someone help us? Please. We love this game :)

Greetings from Russia.

If both use 1280x720 (or both use 1366x768) and both have an normal/clean/fresh (unadjusted, no-mod or unhacked) version of Dune 2000, it should give no out of sync error with the high resolution patch.

If you are on a LAN, you might want to use this way to play: http://d2kplus.com/ipxtoudp.php (wireless might give more lag than a wired LAN)

If you are both on WAN (internet), you might just go with the online Dune 2000 version: http://d2kplus.com/online/ and manually install the high resolution patch: http://d2kplus.com/hires.php

If both use 1280x720 (or both use 1366x768) and both have an normal/clean/fresh (unadjusted, no-mod or unhacked) version of Dune 2000, it should give no out of sync error with the high resolution patch.

If you are on a LAN, you might want to use this way to play: http://d2kplus.com/ipxtoudp.php (wireless might give more lag than a wired LAN)

If you are both on WAN (internet), you might just go with the online Dune 2000 version: http://d2kplus.com/online/ and manually install the high resolution patch: http://d2kplus.com/hires.php

I think this is a common issue the guys at d2konline encounter with the airstrike. Is it only on 1080p res they get that error?

Thanks, but as I mentioned before — we played with different resolutions earlier (somehow) with patch installed, and no errors. They appeard after some time. 

We have 1.06 version of Dune wich provides also UDP patch and registry files for both versions of OS 32 & 64 bits. 

Anyway, looks like nothing can be done. This game is just too old and it's sad that no such interesting strategies on the market nowdays. Effects and fancy graphics - this is how modern developers prefer to work. Boring.

But as a last try I want to ask — is there any possibility to run Dune 2000 in windowed mode?

Because the problem is if I choose 1366x768 resolution to be the same as my friend's res. — everything becomes stretched and blured. I don't care about black space around the screen (if it was) but the game just scalling everything without any options. What can be done to choose 1366x768 and no stretching for my full 1920x1080 screen? Or Windowed mode should solve it. 

I don't know. I can only test up to 1280x800 here.

I have been thinking about the possible (theoretical) cause of the oos. What I think the problem is that the ornithopter is visible and determines the bomb drop location based on the distance travelled on screen and not based on the map. Something along those lines...

@Maxim. You need to set your graphics card to center and not scale the image/resolution. Example for AMD: http://support.amd.com/en-us/kb-articles/Pages/UnableToSetGPUScaling.aspx