Dune2K - High Resolution

CCHyper

We we will retry tonight, we're in Australia so the times are different, i posted that yesterday night at like 11:00 PM.

I can say though that playing without a resolution patch, I've never had any errors, or crashes. To me it appears as though it was trying to get some information from the particular location on the screen and couldn't which caused a crash.

Furthermore it was an AI saboteur. I don't know if that would have any implication, however.

Still the resolution patch is a fantastic addition, Sardaukar. Perhaps you can shed some light on what this error might mean? I'd like to assist in any way I can to further support for this game and to get it even more stable with all these additions.

Anyway, a few more things to note perhaps:

We are running windows 7 pro x64

We have GTX 580 graphics cards with latest drivers

We might try without the hi res patch tonight to see if we can replicate the issue. We will also try with it and document exactly what the error report says.

Cheers for the replies guys.

Guys I just remembered something else strange. When we were playing we were vsing 2 house ordos AIs. One was red one was green.

I remember being attacked by Ornithopters (atreides special attack only if im not mistaken) and also Fremen.

The way I can tell each AI was ordos is that they both sent Deviators, plus there wasn't a sign of a Sonic Tank anywhere and the combat tanks of both sides were ordos sprites.

Again, I don't know if this has anything to do with the error we received, but it is, for me at least, very odd.

• Upvote 1

We we will retry tonight, we're in Australia so the times are different, i posted that yesterday night at like 11:00 PM.

I can say though that playing without a resolution patch, I've never had any errors, or crashes. To me it appears as though it was trying to get some information from the particular location on the screen and couldn't which caused a crash.

Furthermore it was an AI saboteur. I don't know if that would have any implication, however.

Still the resolution patch is a fantastic addition, Sardaukar. Perhaps you can shed some light on what this error might mean? I'd like to assist in any way I can to further support for this game and to get it even more stable with all these additions.

Anyway, a few more things to note perhaps:

We are running windows 7 pro x64

We have GTX 580 graphics cards with latest drivers

We might try without the hi res patch tonight to see if we can replicate the issue. We will also try with it and document exactly what the error report says.

Cheers for the replies guys.

Yes, please see if you can fit in a saboteur attack with a multiplayer game and if you get the same error. I currently don't know what the error means, but maybe I can figure something out with IDA (checking error strings in semi-disassembled code). Fixing it is part two, which might even be more difficult. Of course I can always just try to disable the error message, but that is just fixing symptoms and not the real cause.

Guys I just remembered something else strange. When we were playing we were vsing 2 house ordos AIs. One was red one was green.

I remember being attacked by Ornithopters (atreides special attack only if im not mistaken) and also Fremen.

The way I can tell each AI was ordos is that they both sent Deviators, plus there wasn't a sign of a Sonic Tank anywhere and the combat tanks of both sides were ordos sprites.

Again, I don't know if this has anything to do with the error we received, but it is, for me at least, very odd.

One or both of you should have been Atreides and AI captured your Con Yards which enables atreides tech. Or there might have been another AI that they captured CY from, idk, but certainly they captured someone's CY.

One or both of you should have been Atreides and AI captured your Con Yards which enables atreides tech. Or there might have been another AI that they captured CY from, idk, but certainly they captured someone's CY.

I remebered one thing that may contribute to this - i set crates to on. Indeed the AI managed to take my construction yard, but I was Harkonnen and they immediately sold it off.

But, if they picked up a crate, im sure they could have maybe got a one off Ornithopter strike, or a bunch of Fremen.

So that "strangeness" probably isn't strange at all.  :P

Going to check for that error tonight though... didn't get a chance last night, my friend was playing another game  >:(

But don't the AI immediately sell the things they capture? Does it still count that they own it after they get rid of it? 

Hey guys,

My friend and I tested again last night, didn't have much time, we played as Atreides each and the 2 AIs chose to be Atreides as well. We managed to play through a full LAN match (reaching full tech, using every unit and ability).

Tonight I want to try with us being Ordos, using our own Saboteurs... just to see if we can make the error we got on our first LAN game appear again.

aKaFedaYkin, if in the original match the AI did use our tech, they would have needed to build an Atreides Hi-Tech facility. I only thought the AI was capable of using its own buildings, not being able to build another sides buildings as well. All that they took was an MCV. Im sure there are more prerequisites for the Atreides Hi-Tech facility (since it differs from the other houses Hi-Tech facility). Doesn't it need to be upgraded?

As a side note, we tried with 1024 x 768 resolution at one point, I noticed I had no UI for spice, repair, sell, score, waypoint, upgrade or starport. (this was on 1920 x 1080 native monitor).

Hey guys,

My friend and I tested again last night, didn't have much time, we played as Atreides each and the 2 AIs chose to be Atreides as well. We managed to play through a full LAN match (reaching full tech, using every unit and ability).

Tonight I want to try with us being Ordos, using our own Saboteurs... just to see if we can make the error we got on our first LAN game appear again.

aKaFedaYkin, if in the original match the AI did use our tech, they would have needed to build an Atreides Hi-Tech facility. I only thought the AI was capable of using its own buildings, not being able to build another sides buildings as well. All that they took was an MCV. Im sure there are more prerequisites for the Atreides Hi-Tech facility (since it differs from the other houses Hi-Tech facility). Doesn't it need to be upgraded?

As a side note, we tried with 1024 x 768 resolution at one point, I noticed I had no UI for spice, repair, sell, score, waypoint, upgrade or starport. (this was on 1920 x 1080 native monitor).

That is indeed odd, usually I find 1024x 768 the most stable resolution for the high res patch.

Man if the AI captured an atreides CY and if he had the prerequisite buildings already built then the atr high-tech factory got available. The AI built it and upgraded it. I dont remember the hi-tech prerequisites but you dont need atreides buildings to unlock the airstrike (except the atr hi-tech facility). Go ahead and try this, build your Ix center as ordos then play around with an AI. Hit him hard so he wont be able to put problems, then capture his CY. Make sure he's atr or hark. Let's say it was hark: if you captured his CY before building an Ix center then you must keep the CY until you build Ix to unlock the hark palace. If you already had the Ix , you can instantly sell the CY, the Harkonnen palace will still be available to build therefore you'll be able to use the DHM (Death Hand Missile).

• Upvote 1

Man if the AI captured an atreides CY and if he had the prerequisite buildings already built then the atr high-tech factory got available. The AI built it and upgraded it. I dont remember the hi-tech prerequisites but you dont need atreides buildings to unlock the airstrike (except the atr hi-tech facility). Go ahead and try this, build your Ix center as ordos then play around with an AI. Hit him hard so he wont be able to put problems, then capture his CY. Make sure he's atr or hark. Let's say it was hark: if you captured his CY before building an Ix center then you must keep the CY until you build Ix to unlock the hark palace. If you already had the Ix , you can instantly sell the CY, the Harkonnen palace will still be available to build therefore you'll be able to use the DHM (Death Hand Missile).

That's because at maximum you can only have 2 prerequisites for a building or unit.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry gys,

don't know if i'm in the right forum but i have a problem with the high resolution patch. while i tried to install the patch a error message popped up and the installation stopped.

I would like to add the print screen but i'm not allowed to add attachments here.

how can i add attaachemnts to show the error?

Sorry gys,

don't know if i'm in the right forum but i have a problem with the high resolution patch. while i tried to install the patch a error message popped up and the installation stopped.

I would like to add the print screen but i'm not allowed to add attachments here.

how can i add attaachemnts to show the error?

I believe you need a certain amount of posts before you can post attachments, perhaps just one post so you could try again now.

To use the patch, make sure that:

- You put the whole patch in a folder inside the Dune 2000 main folder (contains the exe). See this: http://forum.dune2k.com/topic/19636-dune2k-high-resolution/page-28#entry384335

- You have Dune 2000 patched to version 1.06.

- You use a no-cd version, since the patcher can't edit files on a CD.

- Like this: http://forum.dune2k.com/topic/19636-dune2k-high-resolution/?p=384351 (I believe 2b is not even needed)

You can also try Gruntlords Dune 2000 version: http://gruntmods.com/Projects/Downloads/Dune_2000/

I am using Gruntlords Dune 2000 with the high resolution patch atm seems to be running fine just the videos in game are stuck to the left but i am pretty sure that has been mentioned on here before. Any chance somebody could make a nice looking steam grid view banner for D2K.?

I am using Gruntlords Dune 2000 with the high resolution patch atm seems to be running fine just the videos in game are stuck to the left but i am pretty sure that has been mentioned on here before. Any chance somebody could make a nice looking steam grid view banner for D2K.?

Yes, they are stuck to the left. Score screen is also stuck to the left. I tried to fix it, but I don't know where to look and I don't find it that important, because the actual gameplay works in high resolution.

Here is a quick try at a steam grid view banner:

post-2251-0-05376600-1387880491_thumb.pn

• Upvote 2

hey sard, can you try to fix the airstrike out of sync error in multiplayer, it sucks to have to ask players who dont use hires not to build airstrike.. a fix would be greatly appreciated man

I will look at it, but I'm rather busy these weeks and I'm not sure if I can fix it, so I can't make any promises. You are free to ask me again in February.

• Upvote 2

I think I remember reading about a problem with the IX research center after installing the patch, did that ever get figured out?

I'm not aware of such a problem/bug. What was the problem exactly?

I do know about a crash with multiplayer and Saboteurs, but the person hasn't or wasn't able to reproduce it. So I'm not sure if it has anything to do with the patch.

I'm not aware of such a problem/bug. What was the problem exactly?

I do know about a crash with multiplayer and Saboteurs, but the person hasn't or wasn't able to reproduce it. So I'm not sure if it has anything to do with the patch.

It might be something I missed in the way I packaged the patch in my installer, but even after meeting the pre requisites for the ix research center it doesn't appear as a build option (works in vanilla). I'm not even sure how that's possible as the related filed havent been modified, and the appear correct when loaded in tibed. I will try rerunning your patcher on vanilla and see if I can replicate the issue that way.

Our multiplayer version of dune doesn't have any problem regarding saboteurs, I have tested.

About the airstrike, could it be a possibility that the oos error is caused by the .DAT file containing the sub-houses fix? Or what would be the problem, I really can't see whats wrong with the airstrike and why it doesn't work, like Death Hand does. It's pretty bullshit as it's not fair to ask Atreides players not to use their superweapons while Harkonnens can.

The sub houses fix only suppresses some crash errors related to selecting units from a side that is > 2, and makes the score screen more tolerant. There's nothing there that should affect the multiplayer or vanilla gameplay in any way.