Dune2K - High Resolution

CCHyper

Ok, tried the UK patch again looks like it works today. Very odd that it didn't work yesterday, looks like it was an OS/device issue, since I verified the Dune directories I was using yesterday and tried several times. 

• 2 weeks later...

Good work on the patch! However, I have a few problems with it - main menu is tiny, but centered, movies are tiny in the upper left corner - I'm ok with that, but the game crashes after a while with a sound loop that never stops until I restart my computer. Does anyone know how to fix this? I'm playing with 1920x1080 resolution. I tried reinstalling the game - didn't fix it.

EDIT: Found a possible fix that I will try out. Seems like some games do not like the GX mode on my Asus Xonar, but we'll see.

Good work on the patch! However, I have a few problems with it - main menu is tiny, but centered, movies are tiny in the upper left corner - I'm ok with that, but the game crashes after a while with a sound loop that never stops until I restart my computer. Does anyone know how to fix this? I'm playing with 1920x1080 resolution. I tried reinstalling the game - didn't fix it.

EDIT: Found a possible fix that I will try out. Seems like some games do not like the GX mode on my Asus Xonar, but we'll see.

Thank you for your reply. The main menu is in the original size, but looks tiny on a big resolution. Movies are indeed in the upper left corner, I don't know (yet) how to fix that. Movies cannot be made bigger without (ugly) stretching. The patch does not change the sound of the game, so I think you are in the right direction by adjusting settings in your audio (driver).

Hi there,

I've played this game in the past and I would love to play it again, but I get the split screen all of the time...

I'm currently working within W7 x64...

Now i've read this subject, and i want to give it another try...

I've had the grundmod, i've had Dune 2000 portable, but i've lost my original Dune 2000 cd... Is this really an requirement?

Can someone tell me how i suppose to install this patch and what i really need?

I'm an moderate pc user, so, please tell me as simple as you could if you will.. It will be much appriciated :)

I would love to play the game again, btw: W8 x64 will run Dune 2000 without any problem, but i didn't like W8....

Just download the latest version from here: http://d2kplus.com/hires.php or click on my signature.

Instructions are in the zip file, but basically you just need to extract the folder from the zip into the Dune2000 main folder (this can be gruntmod or portable version) and from within that extracted folder you run "d2k_patch.exe". Then you get a window where you select (probably) the highest option and that's all. The gruntmod version has already no-cd, or you can grab a subhouses fixed version from d2kplus that also has no-cd.

I'm not sure if patching to higher resolution fixes the split screen problem. Please report back if it does. There is a topic about the problem on the forums, with perhaps solutions. Only advise I can give is it make sure you got the latest videocard driver and you could try changing some settings in the videocard. Often there is an icon on the toolbar in windows (lower right corner) that you can use to change videocard settings. Some videocard drivers also got the option to determine what to do if the game that is being played doesn't have the native (windows) resolution; it can scale/stretch or just center it. Try to see if you can set it to center.

Thanks for your reply

I've installed the Dune 2000 Gruntmods Edition 1.6...

And copied the files along with the High Resolution Patch folder, and finaly now it works!

What i did wrong is that i only copied the files in the Dune 2000 folder...

No split screen anymore, solved!

So happy

No i would like to play online, but i asume i can figure it out

• Upvote 1

But I think all players must use the same resolution to avoid out of sync.

Doubtful, seeing as it works fine for C&C and RA1. User interface changes generally have no effect on that.

Heck, I played DOS C&C against C&C95 once (using the game's null modem function), and even that worked fine.

• Upvote 1

• 4 weeks later...

Sweet as! 1680x1050 works perfectly. I think I need to restart the game again tho, as I loaded an old savegame and it crashed. No matter, it looks nice and crisp now! :)

If you have this problem, revert to the old file, complete your mission and save at the map screen. Then apply the patch.

Thanks for your reply

I've installed the Dune 2000 Gruntmods Edition 1.6...

And copied the files along with the High Resolution Patch folder, and finaly now it works!

What i did wrong is that i only copied the files in the Dune 2000 folder...

No split screen anymore, solved!

So happy

No i would like to play online, but i asume i can figure it out

That is good news, I will likely integrate the patch in some form in future versions.

Doubtful, seeing as it works fine for C&C and RA1. User interface changes generally have no effect on that.

Heck, I played DOS C&C against C&C95 once (using the game's null modem function), and even that worked fine.

You were right, different resolutions won't cause OOS.

• 1 month later...

Hey guys!

Im considering making a high resolution patch for Dune2K

From what i know, Dune2K was the base engine / first engine in the Westwood library. I have extensive databases on C&C, Red Alert, Tiberian Sun etc. so i know quite a bit about out the games followed suit.

Only problem is, i lack Dune2k lol.

Once i get a copy, i will begin to create a database on the game as see if its possible. Would you guys want this?

Hello! Can you make Hi-Res Patch for D2k Russian version? I can give you link on a setup, if you need.

P. S. Sorry for my bad english...

I'm trying to play Dune on Win 98 SE with yout patch but I'm getting a message about upgrate to newer Win. Can I use this on older one or shoud I really upgrade? I'm using VM. 

If you get this message to upgrade when running my patch, you can try to copy the game folder to your normal (newer) Windows, patch it in the resolution you want*, copy the patched game back to Win 98 and start playing.

* make sure the virtual Win 98 resolution is exactly as patched, else Dune 2000 won't work.

You perhaps don't even need VM to run Dune 2000, on my PC with Win 7 (64bit) it just works.

Guys, the patch causes oos (out of sync) error in multiplayer when airstrike is used. Once the bombs hit something the game goes oos. I'm pretty sure this worked some time ago lol, but now it seems to just not work. Any idea what could be the problem?

Guys, the patch causes oos (out of sync) error in multiplayer when airstrike is used. Once the bombs hit something the game goes oos. I'm pretty sure this worked some time ago lol, but now it seems to just not work. Any idea what could be the problem?

'Worked some time ago', what do you mean? A different version? If so, could you try/test it for me? I hardly play multi-player.

Only guess I can make at the moment is that the experimental resolutions (the ones that add a little black to the right command panel) might cause a problem.

I mean I'm pretty sure I was able to use it, not sure about version but i am probably wrong as it's the only logical possibility as I didnt change the game folder since then.

I didnt use an experimental one I used 1200x800 IIRC which is the max of this monitor.

I mean I'm pretty sure I was able to use it, not sure about version but i am probably wrong as it's the only logical possibility as I didnt change the game folder since then.

I didnt use an experimental one I used 1200x800 IIRC which is the max of this monitor.

1200/32 = 37,5 -> that means that one tile does not fit perfectly and I fixed that by adding black border to the right build menu - I called it experimental resolution.

Try a resolution that doesn't have the asterisk (*) behind it (and gives a whole number when dividing by 32). Like 1152x864 or 1024x768.

Tried both with hi-res, then only 1 with hi-res. It crashed. When we tried with normal dune it didn't.

Thanks for testing, but I meant, if the other player uses experimental resolution (not perfect 32 dividing) the out of sync might happen.

Please try to get both players at 1024x768 and see if you get out of sync with airstrike. Also make sure the dune game is vanilla (no mods).

I do kinda find it strange that the game crashes if not all multiplayer players use high resolution, it should not really matter what the resolution is.

I currently don't have much time to test stuff.