Dune2K - High Resolution

CCHyper

Umm so I uploaded only Sardaukar's script to d2kplus. Do you want the DAT patcher included in the pack too or sardaukar's script includes it somehow? Im a bit confused when it comes to these 2 as they do kinda the same thing am I right?

If you use the script, you need to put the vanilla .dat file in the 'backup' folder in the 'high resolution patch' folder for the script to use it. If there is no backup folder, just put it like normal in the root folder (next to dune2000.exe).

I tested my script on these (1.06 US): http://dune2k.com/Duniverse/Games/Dune2000/Downloads/Patches and it passes the checksum test.

Ah, that fixed it. 

Umm so I uploaded only Sardaukar's script to d2kplus. Do you want the DAT patcher included in the pack too or sardaukar's script includes it somehow? Im a bit confused when it comes to these 2 as they do kinda the same thing am I right?

Yes thats for Sardaukar to add to the zip. The DAT patcher changes the resoltuion and fixes the crashes/tooltips/ etc. Sardaukars script changes the UIL files so they fit the new resolution.

Just wait till Sardaukar updates the zip file.

The patch from N.Kindt (the .dat patcher) makes Dune 2000 high resolution, but not quite playable yet. My patcher uses N.Kindt's patch and also fixes the gameplay background menu image (UIBB.R16), gameplay buttons (UI_ENG.R16), menu locations (*.uil) and large background images to prevent crashes and align background menu's (*.TGA). My patcher also fixes the campaign maps that can crash the game if the resolution is higher than 1024x768. In short: sardaukar's script/patcher is all you need. ;)

@N.Kindt, I updated my script to also support other languages by making the UI_***.R16 patching flexible. I think this will work. I also tested the different .dat files of all the languages with your checksum code and it says that all the other languages are also US version, meaning the .dat files are the same. Is that correct?

Do you also move the cash location in the dat patch? I just noticed it's one 'digit' location too much to the left and overwriting the left edge of the 'cash-box'. If you would like to fix this, I will pack it with version 1.3.5.

Image to show what I mean below. Top is original game, middle is with your patch and bottom is the background image I adjust in my patcher.

post-2251-0-48886100-1369861233_thumb.pn

edit: I think it's just 10px to the right to fix it.

Edited by D2k Sardaukar
  • Upvote 1

Ok moved cash box 10 pixel right.

THe DAT pacther checks the size first, if it's ok it moves on to check the checksum. If the test passes for vanilla US or Subhouse fix then you can be sure it's it. German .DAT is not working since the size is smaller hence the data/code offset is patched in wrong. I tested with the DAT provided by eulerischeZahl and it's not working.

dat_patcher_1.1.zip

Ok moved cash box 10 pixel right.

THe DAT pacther checks the size first, if it's ok it moves on to check the checksum. If the test passes for vanilla US or Subhouse fix then you can be sure it's it. German .DAT is not working since the size is smaller hence the data/code offset is patched in wrong. I tested with the DAT provided by eulerischeZahl and it's not working.

Thanks for the quick fix. I think eleurischeZahl's DAT file was a (different) no-cd'er, because all the 1.06 DAT's provided on this page are the same: http://dune2k.com/Duniverse/Games/Dune2000/Downloads/Patches

DUNE2000_FR.DATe2bfef897d4067375c740a000d959e6eDUNE2000_GER.DATe2bfef897d4067375c740a000d959e6eDUNE2000_GRUNT.DAT8be82be95222bf555c1c19d563ab377dDUNE2000_ITA.DATe2bfef897d4067375c740a000d959e6eDUNE2000_SP.DATe2bfef897d4067375c740a000d959e6eDUNE2000_SUB.DAT376651bb2f48aefbbf1d5fb2d1af08bbDUNE2000_UK.DATe2bfef897d4067375c740a000d959e6eDUNE2000_US.DATe2bfef897d4067375c740a000d959e6e

Uploaded version 1.3.5:

Version 1.3.5		1) Improved error messaging.	2) Updated N.Kindt's .DAT patcher: 		a) Checksum includes subhouses-fix-version.		b) Spice amount location fixed; 10px to the right.	3) Removed checksum notice, included in N.Kindt's .DAT patcher.	4) Updated UI_***.R16 patcher to support other languages.	5) Rewritten parts of readme.

Download here.

• Upvote 1

Ok great. All 1.06 should work then without problems and you could update the description of the patch.

The patch from N.Kindt (the .dat patcher) makes Dune 2000 high resolution, but not quite playable yet. My patcher uses N.Kindt's patch and also fixes the gameplay background menu image (UIBB.R16), gameplay buttons (UI_ENG.R16), menu locations (*.uil) and large background images to prevent crashes and align background menu's (*.TGA). My patcher also fixes the campaign maps that can crash the game if the resolution is higher than 1024x768. In short: sardaukar's script/patcher is all you need. ;)

Sorry i was a bit vague about what your script does since it does a lot and i had not much time to write. Maybe we should summerize that in the readme.

Ok great. All 1.06 should work then without problems and you could update the description of the patch.

Sorry i was a bit vague about what your script does since it does a lot and i had not much time to write. Maybe we should summerize that in the readme.

Currently I got this:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

INFO

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This patcher is designed to convert Dune 2000 (v1.06) into a higher resolution.

The patcher requires a fresh/vanilla Dune 2000 and will make a backup of all adjusted files.

Files that will be adjusted are: background images (.tga), mission maps*,

user interface files (.uil and .r16) and the main game file (.dat).

If you want to install a mod, first install the mod on a fresh/vanilla Dune 2000 and then

run this patcher.

It's advisable to keep a fresh/vanilla Dune 2000 in zip in case the patch fails or you want

to install a mod in the future.

The patcher will automatically determine the glitch free resolutions that work on your

system. This could mean that the highest resolution on your system is not available.  

* Depends on resolution you choose. Above 1024x768 some small campaign maps will be adjusted.

I know. There are 2 executables so not entirly clear what is what. An info on what each does would be great. I.e. the DAT patcher bla bla ..., you will get high res with that but the UI would look wrong, bla bla ...

• Upvote 1

Small tut about installing it, as some subscribers & ppl kept asking me when is the bug-free version going to come out. And yeah I noticed that as well, mentioned it in the video :D

• Upvote 5

I am guessing correctly when I say that 1680x1050 is still buggy?

Any chance of this being fixed any time soon? Not impatient, just asking :)

Yes and no, I can get 1680x1050 to work, but I can't get rid of the map flickering when you reach the top of the map*. On big maps that's no problem (as long as your base is not in the top of the map), but on smaller maps it's not really playable that way. There is also this small problem that I'm not really capable of adjusting the .dat file, you need N.Kindt for that and so far he hasn't shown any interest in looking into this.

When I get some time I will look into it again, but I have limited tools and knowledge of the .dat internals, I had luck with this one value working, I might not be that lucky again.

* There is always the duct-tape fix method, just adding black unreachable area on the top of the map so you never need to go to the top, but that will only break more stuff eventually (like reinforcements at the wrong place, maps too large etc).

I'm onto something...

I got 1680x1050 (and so all other resolutions with tile set bug) working. It's a cheap fix, but it works, I just made the battlefield 16 pixels larger. Only thing to fix is cosmetics, as you can see, you miss 16 pixels of the menu. I can also turn it around, that you will gain 16 pixels of nothing (and the energy bar). :) Thanks go out to N.Kindt's hacking info: http://forum.dune2k.com/topic/19636-dune2k-high-resolution/page-8#entry378991

will incorporate in next patch version.

4f7h5.jpg

Edited by D2k Sardaukar

This is working just great! Any plans of adjusting the cutscenes? At least centering them?

Plans, yes, searching for solutions, yes, know how to fix it, no. If someone got suggestion, please say so. Best solution would be to find the location in the .dat file that contains the position of the movie. Adding black to all movies will probably consume too much (computing) time.

I have a new version of the patcher. It now includes fixed tileset resolutions and an option to undo the patch. That way you can undo the hi-res patch, install a mod and rerun the patch. No problem!, unless the mod is buggy.

Version 1.4		1) Improved readme to explain how the patcher works.	2) Removed resolutions smaller than original.	3) Tileset bugged resolutions fixed by adjusting viewport size (small border required).	4) Added undo patch option.

Download here.

• Upvote 2

Sweet as! 1680x1050 works perfectly. I think I need to restart the game again tho, as I loaded an old savegame and it crashed. No matter, it looks nice and crisp now! :)

Great! Yeah, the savegames crashing is something that might need fixing. It's in the view location, so perhaps shai-gel98 will figure the save format out so I can try to make a fix for it. I can imagine it being annoying if someone playing hours on a level to just find out it doesn't work in high resolution. As a temporary solution, you could undo the hi-res-patch (option 0) and save at your game in the top left corner and then re-apply high resolution patch.

You mean adding black space in realtime? Why not try it as a temporary solution? Those i5s and i7s out there need some work :)

Just one time adding black space. I actually don't know that much about the video format, but if it's some sort of compression, it might take a long time to patch the files. On the other hand, perhaps I can manipulate the video files easily. I'm gonna look into it, d2kplus wiki has information.

I have been able to suppress the crash when loading old save games on a bigger resolution (that are saved too close to the right side of the map). This works decent on maps that are larger than the (new high) resolution, but on small maps (that need to be fixed in size normally) the game goes all crazy (like tile-set completely off). So in other words, old save games with too small maps* are, I'm afraid, lost. (*probably only first 2-3 missions of each house)

I tried an older version on my home machine Win 7 32 bit, which worked fine.

Today I tried 1.4 on my dad's machine today on a fresh copy of Dune 2000 updated to 1.06, but it throws this message:

yXkPXnK.png

I also tried it on a Dune 2000 1.06 on my laptop (Windows XP) but d2k_patch just runs and exits without displaying a message.

I tried an older version on my home machine Win 7 32 bit, which worked fine.

Today I tried 1.4 on my dad's machine today on a fresh copy of Dune 2000 updated to 1.06, but it throws this message:

yXkPXnK.png

I also tried it on a Dune 2000 1.06 on my laptop (Windows XP) but d2k_patch just runs and exits without displaying a message.

1) Can you send (PM) the uil files? I think they might be a little different and cause problems (perhaps something with UK/USA version or naming of files).

2) Strange that it runs and exits without a message. Kinda hard to debug that. :) Perhaps try running in administrator mode?

Sent you a PM with a link to those files.

By the way, is there any way to force it to do a certain resolution (even if unsupported by the current machine), that way if the patch doesn't work on the target machine, you can apply it on a machine it works on then copy the Dune directory to the target.

Update: Tried using the US/Canada 1.06 patch and that worked fine, looks like it's the UK patch causing the issue.

Edited by mvi

Sent you a PM with a link to those files.

By the way, is there any way to force it to do a certain resolution (even if unsupported by the current machine), that way if the patch doesn't work on the target machine, you can apply it on a machine it works on then copy the Dune directory to the target.

Update: Tried using the US/Canada 1.06 patch and that worked fine, looks like it's the UK patch causing the issue.

Nice to hear it's working.

No, there is not a way to force it to do a certain resolution. I understand what you mean, but I rather fix the patcher than suggest people to do kinda cumbersome steps (that might not even work). It's often the Dune 2000 version (language/mod) that is the problem, not the PC/Windows. For modding/hacking/testing you can run the dat_patcher from N.Kindt separately with the resolution you want to test.